RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
Hello,
I’m a T2 for almost 30 years and have never had to let SGI know I’m diabetic. I did have to let them know about my sleep apnea,though.
What is the deal with 3 year licenses? Are diabetics restricted, and does it cost more to register and plate a vehicle because you’re diabetic?

** SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance - we don’t have private car insurance)

D

Deleted Account

If you take blood glucose medication such as insulin, you need to inform the DVLA and will get a 3 year restricted license. This needs to be declared when taking out car insurance but few insurance companies increase the cost because of it.
The "restriction" is around the types of vehicles you can drive (but it is ok for any standard car) and that it has to be renewed every 3 years with your doctor's approval rather than being valid until you are 70 (or is it 75?)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a T2 on a three year license due to age and the DVLA don't seem interested unless you are on medication. I notified the DVLA and the insurance company when I was first diagnosed since I didn't want any trouble from a late revelation. The DVLA said it was OK and I don't know what the insurance company did with the info.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

We pay an annual tax on the car which is logged on a computer and doesn't involve plates. Initial registration is often done by the car vendor and diabetes doesn't enter into it.

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
I am a T2 on a three year license due to age and the DVLA don't seem interested unless you are on medication. I notified the DVLA and the insurance company when I was first diagnosed since I didn't want any trouble from a late revelation. The DVLA said it was OK and I don't know what the insurance company did with the info.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

We pay an annual tax on the car which is logged on a computer and doesn't involve plates. Initial registration is often done by the car vendor and diabetes doesn't enter into it.

Hello . I just finished looking at the information from your Government and it seems very straightforward. We don’t have any sort of continuity between Provinces, with each one making their own rules and regulations. It’s great to be Canadian, but our Provinces squabble amongst themselves like fat men at an all-you-can-eat buffet...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't because we are diabetic that we have to notify the DVLA. It is because of the medications we may take, or not take, that matters.