1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Question about driving in the UK

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by RobertSK, Apr 16, 2019.

1. RobertSK

RobertSK · Member

Hello,
    I’m a T2 for almost 30 years and have never had to let SGI know I’m diabetic. I did have to let them know about my sleep apnea,though.
    What is the deal with 3 year licenses? Are diabetics restricted, and does it cost more to register and plate a vehicle because you’re diabetic?

** SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance - we don’t have private car insurance)

2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

If you take blood glucose medication such as insulin, you need to inform the DVLA and will get a 3 year restricted license. This needs to be declared when taking out car insurance but few insurance companies increase the cost because of it.
    The "restriction" is around the types of vehicles you can drive (but it is ok for any standard car) and that it has to be renewed every 3 years with your doctor's approval rather than being valid until you are 70 (or is it 75?)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I am a T2 on a three year license due to age and the DVLA don't seem interested unless you are on medication. I notified the DVLA and the insurance company when I was first diagnosed since I didn't want any trouble from a late revelation. The DVLA said it was OK and I don't know what the insurance company did with the info.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

We pay an annual tax on the car which is logged on a computer and doesn't involve plates. Initial registration is often done by the car vendor and diabetes doesn't enter into it.

4. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

It's 70.

5. RobertSK

RobertSK · Member

Hello . I just finished looking at the information from your Government and it seems very straightforward. We don’t have any sort of continuity between Provinces, with each one making their own rules and regulations. It’s great to be Canadian, but our Provinces squabble amongst themselves like fat men at an all-you-can-eat buffet...

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It isn't because we are diabetic that we have to notify the DVLA. It is because of the medications we may take, or not take, that matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook