Spiking after breakfast

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2, 4 weeks ago(Age 30,5'11, 175lbs). I went to the doctor after 10 days of stomach pain and unintentionally losing 15lbs in a month. My A1C was 7.1. They started me on Janumet 50/500 (50mg sitagliptin,500mg metformin) twice a day. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease almost 2 years ago. Since then i have been eating a fairly low carb diet but have since cut that down to just what I get from fruit and veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and small amounts of berries etc). I'm lucky enough that my insurance covers flash glucose monitors, so i have been wearing a freestyle libre for the last week. While my blood sugars are generally pretty controlled, averaging around 6 mmol/l, I've noticed that after breakfast (1.5 cups of plain yogurt with about 10 blueberries) my blood sugar can spike to 11 and then take about 3 hours to come back down to 6. Lunch and dinner have minimal effect on my blood sugar. I'm new to this but i figured my body would be able to handle that. Should i just switch to eggs? I'm not really a breakfast person, before being diagnosed i never ate breakfast on weekdays but my doctor insisted i at least have some yogurt in the morning.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some people just react to blueberries that way. Could you skip breakfast? I find a bulletproof coffee keeps me full for hours. Alternatively you could switch to raspberries and test those. Good Luck.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would actually prefer to skip breakfast. I haven't eaten breakfast on weekdays for 15 years. I never feel hungry until noon. My doctors the one who pushed me to start after diagnosis.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like breakfast and I don't see the need for it. Neither do many T2's. Did your doctor tell you why you should eat breakfast?
I've noticed that after breakfast (1.5 cups of plain yogurt with about 10 blueberries) my blood sugar can spike to 11 and then take about 3 hours to come back down to 6.
Could be the breakfast but could just as well be you liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream to get you going for the day (feet on the floor effect or dawn phenomenon). Have you tried if it happens if you don't have breakfast?
I went to the doctor after 10 days of stomach pain and unintentionally losing 15lbs in a month.
Have you had tests for T1? Or pancreas problems? Unexpected weight loss isn't typically associated with T2.

Good luck!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would actually prefer to skip breakfast. I haven't eaten breakfast on weekdays for 15 years. I never feel hungry until noon. My doctors the one who pushed me to start after diagnosis.

It isn't necessary, in fact it is a good thing because it extends the overnight fast giving your pancreas a good rest. It will help with insulin resistance. Some just have a coffee with cream or similar, but no food.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll definitely give not eating a try. I was having Dawn Phenomonen when I first started measuring could see slow ramp up starting at around 3am and peaking at about 7am to just over 7mmol. Haven’t been seeing that lately. The spike is about half an hour after I eat. So will definitely try not having breakfast. My GP thinks it might be type 1/LADA because of the weight loss and celiac. But the endocrinologist that I saw wouldn’t even test me for it when I asked. She said my A1C wasn’t high enough to cause weight loss. I’m going to push her for it when I go back in July.

Reactions: Guzzler

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If it’s any help, I’m type one and almost never eat breakfast. There’s really no need for it unless you’re hungry and your bg is ok - I often don’t eat until after 1600.

Breck Lundin

Quick question...do you drink regular coffee with your breakfast?

I as as i only today discovered my dear tasty coffee, my zero carb treat, well caffeine, a cup of strong regular black coffee spikes my BG to over 200. Even with no other carbs eaten in hours and hours. If you do drink it, since you also have a CGM (you Libre, i have Dexcom G5) have just one cup of black coffee and closely watch your numbers. If they rise for seemingly no reason the culprit could well be caffeine. For me i cannot stem the rapid rise even if using excessive insulin.

Im going to open a thread about this later this evening . This discovery today sheds new light on spikes seemingly without clear-cut cause.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very interesting. Yes I do have a cup of coffee with my breakfast. Tomorrow i will try just having the coffee and see if I get the spike. Thanks for the tip

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question...do you drink regular coffee with your breakfast?

I as as i only today discovered my dear tasty coffee, my zero carb treat, well caffeine, a cup of strong regular black coffee spikes my BG to over 200. Even with no other carbs eaten in hours and hours. If you do drink it, since you also have a CGM (you Libre, i have Dexcom G5) have just one cup of black coffee and closely watch your numbers. If they rise for seemingly no reason the culprit could well be caffeine. For me i cannot stem the rapid rise even if using excessive insulin.

Im going to open a thread about this later this evening . This discovery today sheds new light on spikes seemingly without clear-cut cause.

The thinking behind the caffeine raising BS levels is that caffeine causes an adrenalin rush, and adrenalin rushes can cause rises in BS levels.

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Breck Lundin

The thinking behind the caffeine raising BS levels is that caffeine causes an adrenalin rush, and adrenalin rushes can cause rises in BS levels.
that fits with my experience. I will spike after the coffee and insulin has zero effect, oh i use rapid acting Novolog.

I have Dr appt at 9am (5.5hrs from now) so not going to have coffee until im actually at Dr office. It happens really fast for me so my Dr can observe with me. We've actually wondered why i have sudden spikes that don't respond to insulin. Never thought to mention coffee just zero carbs fir 12 hrs. Today will be interesting... and sad... sigh, decaf!

I made a list if beverages i enjoy that have caffeine... diet cola, iced tea, zero carb Monster...im willing to wager they all have a similar effect.

ok back to sleep a but more. It will be an interesting morning.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Breck Lundin

hmmmm, does this site have a polling feature? I'm curious what folks are and aren't sensitive to the caffeine effect.

Maybe there are other commonalities that surface which can help us each get better control. Could also explain times when we think we're being good yet BG spikes. Also if those who are sensitive also have no reduction in BG after dosing to address the high.

Learning about this really has made me feel better with hope that i can get control back again.

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tested coffee this morning. I skipped breakfast and had 1 small cup at home at around 8am. Had another large cup when i got to work at 9. Definitely took me longer to recover from the large coffee but didn't result in a big spike as you can see from the graph. Looks like body doesn't like blueberries and yogurt. Will test to see which one is the problem

Attachments

• Coffee_effect.jpg
    Coffee_effect.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 225

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Some people just react to blueberries that way. Could you skip breakfast? I find a bulletproof coffee keeps me full for hours. Alternatively you could switch to raspberries and test those. Good Luck.
I have yoghurt and berries often for brekkie and rasberries have less of an effect on me.

Reactions: Guzzler