Cholesterol levels high

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you can get your cholesterol down, please be aware that strokes can occur with high cholesterol.
Take care
Who says? Do not believe the Big Pharma hype. Headlines in news is that 50% of people who get duped into taking this rubbish see no effects on Cholesterol levels just have the chance of the side effects. The other 50% still get the chance of side effects for no good reason. Cholesterol is not a cause of heart attacks or strokes (don't take my word for it, there are many reputable Dr's who agree).

KemCG3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had my results back and the total cholesterol is high but (good) HDL cholesterol is also high so I am not too worried but as often happens there is no triglyceride result. Why do they do that?! So often I have to go back and insist they check my triglyceride level.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my results back and the total cholesterol is high but (good) HDL cholesterol is also high so I am not too worried but as often happens there is no triglyceride result. Why do they do that?! So often I have to go back and insist they check my triglyceride level.

Next time make sure you ask for a full lipid panel including trigs. You will need to fast for the test or the trigs could be skewed, although I doubt you will be told to fast.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
On BBC news this morning. A study has shown that statins are ineffective in 50%(?) of cases. This was being explained by manufacturers as patients 'not taking them properly'. I smell a rat.....!
I saw the news also. I find the studies completely unreliable. They were saying that some people were not taking them every day and that some doctors were not giving the right dose. "No Sh Sherlock" If people do not take them every day or docs are giving the wrong dose, then, of course, they won't work. Did they do a study on their health style? I mean, did they smoke? drink too much? ate sugary foods? Pies, chips etc? So many reasons why the Statins did not work.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time make sure you ask for a full lipid panel including trigs. You will need to fast for the test or the trigs could be skewed, although I doubt you will be told to fast.
Don't bother it's not important anyway. Well it is I guess if you buy into the "Be Afraid, be very Afraid" syndrome.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw the news also. I find the studies completely unreliable. They were saying that some people were not taking them every day and that some doctors were not giving the right dose. "No Sh Sherlock" If people do not take them every day or docs are giving the wrong dose, then, of course, they won't work. Did they do a study on their health style? I mean, did they smoke? drink too much? ate sugary foods? Pies, chips etc? So many reasons why the Statins did not work.
Well it keeps researchers in beer money I guess! Can't think of any other reason to check if a worthless treatment is "effective"