Approved psychology project- Living with diabetes: adjustment to illness and well-being

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had a bash but had to stop.
There’s more than two types of diabetes and the later questions assume everyone has down days and negative thoughts about themselves.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
All done, brought home some truths................

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry I couldn't finish it as there wasn't a 'doesn't apply to me' option and a huge amount of it didn't apply to me.

My goodness, if you weren't depressed before doing that questionnaire you surely would be afterwards.

Not everyone with diabetes is depressed. We are all different.

Reactions: VMK
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry I couldn't finish it as there wasn't a 'doesn't apply to me' option and a huge amount of it didn't apply to me.

My goodness, if you weren't depressed before doing that questionnaire you surely would be afterwards.

Not everyone with diabetes is depressed. We are all different.

True, but many have, or are going through tough times.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, i have at times, too. But not all or most of the time.

My replies to the questionnaire would change completely depending on whether I'm happy or depressed at the time of giving my replies.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since experimenting with lchf and fasting my mood has improved and stabilised, so I could be forgiven for interpreting that as diabetes being responsible for better mental health in my case.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Have done it, have filled in the questionaire.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that there should have been a ‘not applicable’ option on many of those questions.
Where there were questions that had no relevance to me, i chose the most neutral response option, but i do not feel that the questionnaire was designed in a way that reflects my situation accurately.

There was a strong assumption that i would be depressed, and that the depression would express itself as self-loathing.

Having been depressed for large chunks of my life (mainly before my blood glucose reached T2 levels), my experience was very different from the prevailing assumptions in the questionnaire.

Reactions: KookieMunchster

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree that there should have been a ‘not applicable’ option on many of those questions.
Where there were questions that had no relevance to me, i chose the most neutral response option, but i do not feel that the questionnaire was designed in a way that reflects my situation accurately.

There was a strong assumption that i would be depressed, and that the depression would express itself as self-loathing.

Having been depressed for large chunks of my life (mainly before my blood glucose reached T2 levels), my experience was very different from the prevailing assumptions in the questionnaire.

Thats exactly how I felt about it. I gave up part way through because I didn't feel I could give proper answer about how I feel about having had T2 over the years.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One issue - some of my symptoms and feelings relate to my other chronic health conditions, especially fatigue and inability to relax. Would have been useful to ask about other health issues that are unrelated to diabetes.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One issue - some of my symptoms and feelings relate to my other chronic health conditions, especially fatigue and inability to relax. Would have been useful to ask about other health issues that are unrelated to diabetes.

I also stopped when I got to the first section of very negative statements. I know it was followed by a section of positive ones, but the damage had been done by then.

I nearly stopped on the first page as I’m not a conventional type 2.

And I have 2 other chronic conditions which can bring on some of the symptoms in the last section.

Reactions: Wilber123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seems like lots of psychological questionnaires in that it seeks to establish your pre disposition to be neurotic, depressed and have good self esteem or ability to take care of oneself, by asking lots of the same questions in different ways.
I assume the author will then correlate that to your gender, duration of diabetes and type of diabetes and develop some kind of theory on whether those with diabetes are more at risk of mental health issues or whether coping with such a demanding condition makes you stronger.
I suspect the latter however if you'd asked me in my teens or twenties I would not have agreed.
We all have things about ourselves that we dislike but cannot change. For me that's my type 1 along with being a raving introvert and chunky arms.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seems like lots of psychological questionnaires in that it seeks to establish your pre disposition to be neurotic, depressed and have good self esteem or ability to take care of oneself, by asking lots of the same questions in different ways.
I assume the author will then correlate that to your gender, duration of diabetes and type of diabetes and develop some kind of theory on whether those with diabetes are more at risk of mental health issues or whether coping with such a demanding condition makes you stronger.
I suspect the latter however if you'd asked me in my teens or twenties I would not have agreed.
We all have things about ourselves that we dislike but cannot change. For me that's my type 1 along with being a raving introvert and chunky arms.

The hug was for the chunky arms.... I have the same problem.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - I tried - but I just do not experience life in that way so could not answer the questions.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Completed it"
I understand that such questionnaires have to ask the same or similar questions in various ways to ensure the consistency of responses from each individual.
I agree that other conditions need to be considered.
For example if one is depressed and has a strong family history of this that could be very relevant.
Similarly a question or two about whether a person had sort help and in what form seems relevant.
There were some questions seeking positivity but perhaps some idea of what things, methods, type of person did help with achieving and maintaining postivity seems relevant.
I remember a daughter whose father was diabetic saying that what helped her father most with his depression was reading "The Little Book of Hugs".
Hugs to all !!