No longer type 2

mo1942

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After having my bloods done this week I got a call from my doctor to go and see him!
I thought BAD NEWS but no he told me that my levels were low enough to take me off the Type 2 list.
After five years that seems amazing. I blame my wife and her strict diet that she’s had me on! Although I did sneak the odd bar of white chocolate
I am amazed— don’t have to have another blood test for six months.
MauriceH

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news - well done. What was your HbA1c as a matter of interest, and what was it when you started?
Tell your wife to keep up the good work - otherwise you could be back where you started!! Well done to your wife.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Big fat hug for your wife! Take her out for a (lowish carb, let her choose, she seems to know what she's doing :) ) dinner!

Reactions: HSSS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After having my bloods done this week I got a call from my doctor to go and see him!
I thought BAD NEWS but no he told me that my levels were low enough to take me off the Type 2 list.
After five years that seems amazing. I blame my wife and her strict diet that she’s had me on! Although I did sneak the odd bar of white chocolate
MauriceH
Might be worth checking that you have been coded as "in remission" so you still get your eye checks and HbA1c ..

Reactions: Flora123

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
If the bg readings are tested to be good because of a low carb diet, be very cautious. It only takes two days of typical hospital diet and lying on bed all the time to send the bg of my diabetes type 2 father over the roof. For two years, his bg is as good as any normal person due to a low carb diet. A lesson I hv learned is a type two remains a type two.

mcdonagh47

MauriceH
Seems a trifle contradictory, if your name is off ''the list' how will they know to call you for a blood test in six months? And why will you need one ?

mcdonagh47

MauriceH

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems a trifle contradictory, if your name is off ''the list' how will they know to call you for a blood test in six months? And why will you need one ?
Maybe due to age and/or other medications or issues
- I was certainly getting regular 6 monthly checkups and blood tests well before I was diagnosed with T2. Blood tests are done for many other things besides glucose/HbA1c levels so don't just apply to diabetics.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It is normal for ex-diabetics to continue to receive annual blood tests at least, and it is compulsory for all diabetics and ex-diabetics to continue to have the annual retinal eye screening. I still have 6 monthly blood checks, an annual review with the nurse, annual eye checks. All I have lost is my annual foot check. I am not on any medication for anything and have no other health problems.

mcdonagh47

It is normal for ex-diabetics to continue to receive annual blood tests at least, and it is compulsory for all diabetics and ex-diabetics to continue to have the annual retinal eye screening. I still have 6 monthly blood checks, an annual review with the nurse, annual eye checks. All I have lost is my annual foot check. I am not on any medication for anything and have no other health problems.
Its not possible for anyone to be an 'ex-diabetic ' - its a lifelong condition. 'in remission' is not an appropriate term either - its GOOD CONTROL

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Its not possible for anyone to be an 'ex-diabetic ' - its a lifelong condition. 'in remission' is not an appropriate term either - its GOOD CONTROL

Apparently I’ve done the impossible!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I completely agree. However, I used the phrase ex-diabetic to cover all the various possibilities. In the NHS there is no coding for "good control". There is only "diabetes resolved" and "diabetes in remission". In either case, the person is removed from the T2 register, and deemed to be an "ex-diabetic". This does not mean to say they won't be re-registered in the future if their control slips.