Type 2 High Fat and Low Carb er’s Beware!

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

My life is becoming somewhat of a hell. Iv’e been doing High fat Low Carb for a while now and very successfully. Metformin is getting less useful now. Iv’e been on it a long time. My bloods are fine, but I now have a gallbladder problem. I used to be vegetarian..now I have a diet which is only like vegan but with chicken and very rarely fish. There are so many foods I cannot eat. It’s becoming more and more hard. The weight is coming back and I cant stop it even with just one meal a day. High fat might be filling but a high fat diet is dangerous. It can damage your gallbladder. High protein can damage your kidneys....
Has anyone else had the same experience and found a way around it? Idon’t want to become a meat eater again. Chicken and turkey and fish are bad enough to have to eat. ...

This is my diet...
Low carbs
Low fat
No dairy
No fruit except some berries
No beans or pulses
No eggs
No meat except as above
No apples and nothing with a skin including onions!!

The surgeon says he cannot remove my gallbladder after a proceedure he did to open it up at both ends..now unless its vital, and that if they did my all over health would suffer badly. Also, interesting fact.. the body finds a way to make a new gallbladder after some years. So the same thing can happen again but can’t be removed. I’ve also had Pancreatitis because of gallbladder flare up.

Eating is becoming so very hard.
Is anyone else having this much of a hard time eating??? Ultimately the thing I’m for ed to eat is carbs... HELP anyone?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm sorry to hear that you are in such dire straits, it must be very difficult for you and I'm afraid that I have no advice to offer.

But. A diet higher in healthy fats than the 'normal' low fat nonsense does not cause gall stones. And moderate to high protein does not cause kidney disease.

I sincerely hope that other members have some advice to give from their own experiences and I wish you luck going forward.

Reactions: 1spuds

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My life is becoming somewhat of a hell. Iv’e been doing High fat Low Carb for a while now and very successfully. Metformin is getting less useful now. Iv’e been on it a long time. My bloods are fine, but I now have a gallbladder problem. I used to be vegetarian..now I have a diet which is only like vegan but with chicken and very rarely fish. There are so many foods I cannot eat. It’s becoming more and more hard. The weight is coming back and I cant stop it even with just one meal a day. High fat might be filling but a high fat diet is dangerous. It can damage your gallbladder. High protein can damage your kidneys....
Has anyone else had the same experience and found a way around it? Idon’t want to become a meat eater again. Chicken and turkey and fish are bad enough to have to eat. ...

This is my diet...
Low carbs
Low fat
No dairy
No fruit except some berries
No beans or pulses
No eggs
No meat except as above
No apples and nothing with a skin including onions!!

The surgeon says he cannot remove my gallbladder after a proceedure he did to open it up at both ends..now unless its vital, and that if they did my all over health would suffer badly. Also, interesting fact.. the body finds a way to make a new gallbladder after some years. So the same thing can happen again but can’t be removed. I’ve also had Pancreatitis because of gallbladder flare up.

Eating is becoming so very hard.
Is anyone else having this much of a hard time eating??? Ultimately the thing I’m for ed to eat is carbs... HELP anyone?

This article might help: https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb
and the comments at the bottom of the article have some others' experiences.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had surgery on you gallbladder previously?

Low carb and fat is only sustainable in the short term.

Are you up to letting us know what you would eat before the current gallbladder problem and what you eat now? What fats do you eat?

Sorry! Lots of questions and you can of course not answer.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Higher fats may aggravate existing gallstones as the gallbladder is being made to do its job and squeeze bile out and the stones get squeezed too. It’s likely that low fat eating and not using the gallbladder much contributed to stones in the first place as the bile sits statically as sludge.

The body sometimes enlarges a duct that acts as a pseudo gallbladder storing a little bile.

Perhaps if your gallbladder is useless and only causing pain, infection and problems you’d be better without it. Maybe this needs to be reviewed and your previous op considered. I’d find it more than a little odd that opening ducts (I’m assuming that’s what was done although it sounds unusual) prohibits entirely the removal of the organ no matter what state it’s in. Was it explained how and why your health would suffer if they did it or was that a sweeping unqualified statement? Most people (including me) do just fine without one and can still do higher fat than current widely recommended with no ill effects at all. It just takes a little time post op to adjust and very slowly increase fat levels whilst allowing your body to adjust bile production (not storage) to the levels required by diet. It’s very clever and usually manages.

If you want, ethically, to stick to vegan other than chicken or fish and low carb then it’s going to be narrow choices especially if you have other limiting factors. Perhaps a middle ground is avoiding red meats (though no real medical reason to do so) and eating well sourced dairy and eggs along with the chicken and fish you already eat.

Eating almost no fats and almost no carbs means and low protein means no energy and probably a lack of nutrients overall. Not sustainable without damaging your health.

Last edited:
Reactions: KookieMunchster

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's a tough situation. Is there a reason you don't want to eat meats? Or you just won't eat them? Are you lactose intolerant?

High fat is not dangerous and high protein does not cause kidney disease. If it was true our species would of died off a long time ago.

Is there a specific reason you can't have your gall bladder removed?

What do you normally eat for meals, might help clarify your situation a bit.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had surgery on you gallbladder previously?

Low carb and fat is only sustainable in the short term.

Are you up to letting us know what you would eat before the current gallbladder problem and what you eat now? What fats do you eat?

Sorry! Lots of questions and you can of course not answer.

May I calrify wiflib? You say low carb and fat is long-term usustainable. Do you mean low carb/low fat or low car/high fat?

I feel pretty sure I understand, fom your previous history what you mean, but the clarification could be helpful to others (and tick my pedantry box - it's a big one. :) )

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask about the '... nothing with a skin including onions' part of your food list, please. What is the reasoning behind this?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I calrify wiflib? You say low carb and fat is long-term usustainable. Do you mean low carb/low fat or low car/high fat?

I feel pretty sure I understand, fom your previous history what you mean, but the clarification could be helpful to others (and tick my pedantry box - it's a big one. :) )

No problem. Eating a diet that is both low fat and low carb is not sustainable in the long term. It’s also incredibly difficult!

Reactions: hankjam and jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem. Eating a diet that is both low fat and low carb is not sustainable in the long term. It’s also incredibly difficult!

Thanks. I thought that's what you meant.

The pedant in me is strong,........... veeeeery strong. :)

Reactions: hankjam

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am so sorry you’re going through this and to be honest it’s stuff like this that is making me very wary about LCHF too even though that’s how I’m eating to lose weight currently, combined with a low-ish calorie count.

Trying to figure out what to eat on this disease that won’t exacerbate other potentially fatal conditions and vice versa feels like that old brain teaser about the farmer who has a chicken, fox and bag of corn and needs to cross the river but can only take one item at a time. You are definitely having to do on an incredibly high difficulty setting. I’m sorry. <3

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so sorry you’re going through this and to be honest it’s stuff like this that is making me very wary about LCHF too even though that’s how I’m eating to lose weight currently, combined with a low-ish calorie count.

Trying to figure out what to eat on this disease that won’t exacerbate other potentially fatal conditions and vice versa feels like that old brain teaser about the farmer who has a chicken, fox and bag of corn and needs to cross the river but can only take one item at a time. You are definitely having to do on an incredibly high difficulty setting. I’m sorry. <3

What’s making you wary of a low carb diet?

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@bulkbiker @wiflib More the high fat. Guys this is Suzie’s thread where she’s taken the time to tell us her experience that high fat has caused her gallbladder problems, so I won’t “derail” for want of a better word.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bulkbiker @wiflib More the high fat. Guys this is Suzie’s thread where she’s taken the time to tell us her experience that high fat has caused her gallbladder problems, so I won’t “derail” for want of a better word.

Ah! It’s extremely unlikely that the fat she is eating has caused her gallbladder problem, they are supposed to deal with fat. It’s why I asked her for some more information about the previous surgery. There is not a shred of evidence that a diet low in carbs that includes a good amounts of sat fat and protein cause heart or kidney problems.

Carbs and PUFA’s however...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a common misconception fats cause gallbladder problems. It’s because fats can aggravate an existing problem as I described above. Cutting them out stops poking the bear as it were. The bear is still there though. But because it’s no longer growling everyone thinks it’s gone.

Being unable to deal with fat without pain is a symptom of a disfunctionioning gallbladder not a cause of it.