What is more important, fasting BG or pre and post meal ones?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Chances are that a 105 under those circumstances would have had nurses and doctors galloping to administer insulin.

Edit to add.

What about ketones, were they measured?

charlie000

Myself I find it strange that while you were in hospital with AFib, and they they came back with a hba1c level of 105 mmol/mol they would have put you on a diabetes medication of some sort.

Did the nursing staff do blood tests to see what you bgl before and after meals were while you were there?

Now you are discharged your fbgl and bgl are no where in the diabetic range from what I have read in your threads / posts.

My waking up BG was around 6.7. On the first evening in hospital I had 5 slices of white bread toast, and the same again in the morning. They had no other food as I was new on the ward. My BG after that was 9, but I found it strange they did BG tests like 45 mins after eating...

I absolute carbs in hospital and nothing else. The only “healthy” stuff was tea. Every sandwich or roll was white breaded.

I AM THANKFUL FOR OUR NHS. I’m not complaining at all just stating what u was given.

They gave me no diabetes medication and didn’t even give me advice to eat non sugary stuff or starchy stuff.

It was a real kicker for me. I started a soup diet and did it for 2-3 weeks. It was so hard and I’m glad I was doing a non brainy driving job as I couldn’t think at all during those weeks! I felt lifeless!

charlie000

Myself I find it strange that while you were in hospital with AFib, and they they came back with a hba1c level of 105 mmol/mol they would have put you on a diabetes medication of some sort.

Did the nursing staff do blood tests to see what you bgl before and after meals were while you were there?

Now you are discharged your fbgl and bgl are no where in the diabetic range from what I have read in your threads / posts.

They gave me no diabetes medication. Would my GP have the HBA1C results from the hospital directly or would they only have them recorded on the discharge letter?

charlie000

Chances are that a 105 under those circumstances would have had nurses and doctors galloping to administer insulin.

Edit to add.

No insulin or any other diabetic medication. No dietary advice l.

No ketones testing. I wasn’t doing Keto genie lifestyle then.

But I want to add. This stuff happened just after the Christmas period. From November - Feb (my time in hospital) I was living off cake, chocolate, bread, and McDonald’s day in and day out with 4 hours of sleep and cups or coffee. The ladies at my work place had a real sweet tooth.

In fact a week before hospital admission, I was gifted a 360g Galaxy Milk chocolate bar which I finished in 4 hours:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/galaxy-milk-chocolate-390g

That’s like 230g of carbs?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No insulin or any other diabetic medication. No dietary advice l.

No ketones testing. I wasn’t doing Keto genie lifestyle then.

But I want to add. This stuff happened just after the Christmas period. From November - Feb (my time in hospital) I was living off cake, chocolate, bread, and McDonald’s day in and day out with 4 hours of sleep and cups or coffee. The ladies at my work place had a real sweet tooth.

In fact a week before hospital admission, I was gifted a 360g Galaxy Milk chocolate bar which I finished in 4 hours:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/galaxy-milk-chocolate-390g

That’s like 230g of carbs?

They would measure ketone levels in hospital due to the risk of Diabetic Ketoacidosis which is different from nutritional ketosis.

charlie000

They would measure ketone levels in hospital due to the risk of Diabetic Ketoacidosis which is different from nutritional ketosis.
They didn't measure that. Infact, I was only told about the HBA1C when I queried it just before discharge, I was told "You are in the early stages of Diabetes".

I am confident that I am pre-diabetic. I just can't think how I was before the hospital admission. What is ketacidosis? I'm scared to start a new thread after the stick I get from a specific member on here

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They didn't measure that. Infact, I was only told about the HBA1C when I queried it just before discharge, I was told "You are in the early stages of Diabetes".

I am confident that I am pre-diabetic. I just can't think how I was before the hospital admission. What is ketacidosis? I'm scared to start a new thread after the stick I get from a specific member on here

Sorry, I'm whacked but you can use the search function on the main site for more info. Goodnight.

Reactions: charlie000

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@charlie000 if you go to the top left of the page and click the home button you should be taken to the main sites pages, to the forums. Here you’ll find a whole heap of information, much of it will help you understand and answer lots of your questions.

As has been explained on several threads your hb1ac and current readings (even allowing for your dietary changes) are astonishingly wide apart. This may account for some of the somewhat abrupt responses.

My take on the different readings (just my working interpretation not facts you realise) Fasting readings for a type 2 show the Background levels of blood glucose, kind of like your running level. The amount of dawn phenomenon and length of it may show how disregulated the liver has become. The pre and post meals show how well you deal with a particular amount of carbs (with the other factors like fats proteins etc) at that time of day.

So for me I want an ability to deal here and now with meals, this stops the immediate stresses on my body. It gives me a chance to start heading. as I improve my metabolic health the fasting readings will become more normal as will the size and duration of the dawn phenomenon. (It won’t disappear entirely I shouldn’t think as it’s normal to some level). I may never reach “normal”. I may. It depends how much permanent damage I have suffered and how much I can heal.

I don’t believe I will ever be cured, just well managed. My ability to deal with carbs may improve but something was broken to start with that caused the problem first time round. it’s probably still broken but patched up somewhat.

charlie000

@charlie000 if you go to the top left of the page and click the home button you should be taken to the main sites pages, to the forums. Here you’ll find a whole heap of information, much of it will help you understand and answer lots of your questions.

As has been explained on several threads your hb1ac and current readings (even allowing for your dietary changes) are astonishingly wide apart. This may account for some of the somewhat abrupt responses.

My take on the different readings (just my working interpretation not facts you realise) Fasting readings for a type 2 show the Background levels of blood glucose, kind of like your running level. The amount of dawn phenomenon and length of it may show how disregulated the liver has become. The pre and post meals show how well you deal with a particular amount of carbs (with the other factors like fats proteins etc) at that time of day.

So for me I want an ability to deal here and now with meals, this stops the immediate stresses on my body. It gives me a chance to start heading. as I improve my metabolic health the fasting readings will become more normal as will the size and duration of the dawn phenomenon. (It won’t disappear entirely I shouldn’t think as it’s normal to some level). I may never reach “normal”. I may. It depends how much permanent damage I have suffered and how much I can heal.

I don’t believe I will ever be cured, just well managed. My ability to deal with carbs may improve but something was broken to start with that caused the problem first time round. it’s probably still broken but patched up somewhat.

Thank you for this great response. How do we test how the body deals with dawn phenomena?

My BG now is 4.4, consistent what it always is before sleeping. I will check at 9am later on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this great response. How do we test how the body deals with dawn phenomena?

My BG now is 4.4, consistent what it always is before sleeping. I will check at 9am later on.
We watch what happens in the morning testing site after the first fasting reading and then the next ones we take and see what’s happening. Does it go up, how much and for how long. No set figures just observation.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw way I’d love any of your current figures! I know with the afib and confusion about the hb1ac you’ve had some shocks but whatever else has happened you are currently getting great scores so keep doing good stuff and try relaxing whilst you learn. Stress is another thing that can make numbers higher. You do sound a bit anxious in your posts.

charlie000

Btw way I’d love any of your current figures! I know with the afib and confusion about the hb1ac you’ve had some shocks but whatever else has happened you are currently getting great scores so keep doing good stuff and try relaxing whilst you learn. Stress is another thing that can make numbers higher. You do sound a bit anxious in your posts.

I am really anxious by what’s been happening. It’s shocked me so much, and got a lot going on personally.

I’ve just woken up and my finger prick test yielded 4.6mmol. Was 4.4mmol before sleep

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Those figures are perfect. Stop working yourself into a lather over nothing as you have a FAR more important project on your hands ... that HBA1C

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really anxious by what’s been happening. It’s shocked me so much, and got a lot going on personally.

I’ve just woken up and my finger prick test yielded 4.6mmol. Was 4.4mmol before sleep

Have you contacted anyone again to find out what that 105 was?

charlie000

Have you contacted anyone again to find out what that 105 was?
I called my surgery this morning and spoke to the practice manager and explained my concerns. She allowed me to speak to the Locum, the Locum said that he could not find any reference to the HBA1C in my records, other than it being stated on my discharge letter.

He has said I should go for another HBA1C

charlie000

Edit to add.

Right!

I checked my BG before eating and it was 4.8 or 4.9 mmol I can't remember exactly.

I had my lunch a little early today at 11.40 as I've got gym at 3pm and do not want to feel heavy! The last I ate before this was yesterday at around 2pm.

I have just checked my BG 1 hour and 10 mins after eating (from my first bite) and it is 5.6mmol

First mouthful:
11.40AM

Result at 12.50PM: 5.6mmol
Result at 13.40PM: 6.4mmol
Result at 14.40PM: 5.4mmol

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think your blood sugars numbers look normal. The white bread situation is not a surprise as this is fast acting glucose (you can see why societies are getting metabolic syndrome hand over fist). Due to the dawn phenomenon, I would prefer to have good / great pre and post meal numbers.

Reactions: Prem51