Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/low-carb-breakfast-balls
low-carb-breakfast-balls-98774_14501.jpg

if you buy the following from a standard UK supermarket (I'm using Tescos prices because they are my closest shop)
1 kg pork mince or sausage meat (approx 4 quid)
500g beef mince (approx 1.50)
3 eggs (60p)
500g grated cheddar (3 quid)
plus a bit of onion and seasoning

You will gt up to 48 meat balls for a little over 9 pounds or 20p/meatball.

When I made these, I was eating 3 or 4 of them as breakfast, or 5 or 6 as dinner.
So 60-80p breakfast
or
a little over a pound for each main meal. Although rather moreish.
Delicious hot or cold.
Actually, it got boring shaping each one into a ball. So I soon started cooking them in baking trays and loaf tins and then cutting them into meatball sized cubes to serve them. Much quicker.

Excellent for the freezer.

You could also shape them into burgers, when raw, and cook in the oven or a pan, or even make the mix into a single slab of meatloaf for the slow cooker...

Reactions: 1spuds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

if you buy the following from a standard UK supermarket (I'm using Tescos prices because they are my closest shop)
3 eggs (60p)

When I made these, I was eating 3 or 4 of them as breakfast, or 5 or 6 as dinner.
So 60-80p breakfast
or
Delicious hot or cold.
Actually, it got boring shaping each one into a ball. So I soon started cooking them in baking trays and loaf tins and then cutting them into meatball sized cubes to serve them. Much quicker.

You could also shape them into burgers, when raw, and cook in the oven or a pan, or even make the mix into a single slab of meatloaf for the slow cooker...
Balls for breakfast.. great idea!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's also fish.

tinned salmon, mackerel, oysters, herring, sild, sardines... they all come at differing prices, and differing sizes, but I often have tinned salmon with cream or mayo for lunch, or some smoked mackerel.

2.60 for 250g of smoked mackerel is enough for 2 light lunches (for me).

Most tins of fish are less than 150g, but are also less than a pound each and they keep for ages, so can be bought as special deal prices.

That is a heck of a lot less than most sandwich or sushi deals

Reactions: 1spuds and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

3 eggs (60p)

So 60-80p breakfast
or
Delicious hot or cold.

An icecream scoop would work well for forming these, wouldn't it? Saves all that bickering over the big ones,...... ahem?

We're talking about being on budgets her, but cookware shops have different sizes for different jobs, like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD-Scoo...1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1556183324&sr=1-15

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its important HOW you shop.We have two freezers and the only meat I buy is strictly whats on sale.Then I load up and keep those freezers stocked.
Then I 'shop' out of the freezer using whats stocked and using only sale priced meats.