1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carb/Carni Mucho Cheapo Mains

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by DCUKMod, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/low-carb-breakfast-balls
    [​IMG]

if you buy the following from a standard UK supermarket (I'm using Tescos prices because they are my closest shop)
    1 kg pork mince or sausage meat (approx 4 quid)
    500g beef mince (approx 1.50)
    3 eggs (60p)
    500g grated cheddar (3 quid)
    plus a bit of onion and seasoning

You will gt up to 48 meat balls for a little over 9 pounds or 20p/meatball.

When I made these, I was eating 3 or 4 of them as breakfast, or 5 or 6 as dinner.
    So 60-80p breakfast
    or
    a little over a pound for each main meal. Although rather moreish.
    Delicious hot or cold.
    Actually, it got boring shaping each one into a ball. So I soon started cooking them in baking trays and loaf tins and then cutting them into meatball sized cubes to serve them. Much quicker.

Excellent for the freezer.

You could also shape them into burgers, when raw, and cook in the oven or a pan, or even make the mix into a single slab of meatloaf for the slow cooker...

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Balls for breakfast.. great idea!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

There's also fish.

tinned salmon, mackerel, oysters, herring, sild, sardines... they all come at differing prices, and differing sizes, but I often have tinned salmon with cream or mayo for lunch, or some smoked mackerel.

2.60 for 250g of smoked mackerel is enough for 2 light lunches (for me).

Most tins of fish are less than 150g, but are also less than a pound each and they keep for ages, so can be bought as special deal prices.

That is a heck of a lot less than most sandwich or sushi deals

• Like Like x 2
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

An icecream scoop would work well for forming these, wouldn't it? Saves all that bickering over the big ones,...... ahem?

We're talking about being on budgets her, but cookware shops have different sizes for different jobs, like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD-Scoo...1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1556183324&sr=1-15

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think its important HOW you shop.We have two freezers and the only meat I buy is strictly whats on sale.Then I load up and keep those freezers stocked.
    Then I 'shop' out of the freezer using whats stocked and using only sale priced meats.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook