Prediabetes About the target limits of readings

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, two questions for you please:

1) As a T2 prediabetic, which target limits shall I take into account? The ones for healthy people or the ones for diabetics (T2)?

2) Where can I find those target limits/normal range online? I find controversial information online and in the cards included in my BG monitoring device etc.

Thanks a lot
:)

D

Deleted Account

@erenta Welcome to the forum
www.diabetes.co.uk is a great resource - not just the forum.
If you go to the home page, you will find a lot of very easy to read articles. It is like entering a great library of everything you could want to know about diabetes.
For example, this page (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html) should answer your questions.

But please don't stop there. I highly recommend taking a look around: reading about Prediabetes, Living with Diabetes, Treatments and more.

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @helensaramay!

I have already found this page but it contains 3 different parts for target levels and I'm confused.

1) Table with the NICE recommendation (4 - 5.9)
2) Normal and diabetic blood sugar ranges (4 - 5.4)
3) Table with plasma targets (below 5.5)

Which one shall I use for my device which monitors my BG?
thanks again

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@erenta Welcome
I am Prediabetic. In setting my own targets I decided that I wanted to be in the healthy range rather than the Diabetic range.
This is what I aim for. You may not always achieve it, but to me it made more sense than aiming to get worse

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's what I thought. I'd like to be in the normal range again, therefore I'll be more strict with my target.
Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @helensaramay!

I have already found this page but it contains 3 different parts for target levels and I'm confused.

1) Table with the NICE recommendation (4 - 5.9)
2) Normal and diabetic blood sugar ranges (4 - 5.4)
3) Table with plasma targets (below 5.5)

Which one shall I use for my device which monitors my BG?
thanks again
Some people are on medication to achieve targets, so the T2D targets are a balance between blood sugar level and not being over medicated. As you are not on medication you can safely aim for the non-diabetic range.

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people are on medication to achieve targets, so the T2D targets are a balance between blood sugar level and not being over medicated. As you are not on medication you can safely aim for the non-diabetic range.

thank you!