1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes About the target limits of readings

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by erenta, Apr 25, 2019.

1. erenta

erenta Prediabetes · Member

Hi, two questions for you please:

1) As a T2 prediabetic, which target limits shall I take into account? The ones for healthy people or the ones for diabetics (T2)?

2) Where can I find those target limits/normal range online? I find controversial information online and in the cards included in my BG monitoring device etc.

Thanks a lot
    :)

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

@erenta Welcome to the forum
    www.diabetes.co.uk is a great resource - not just the forum.
    If you go to the home page, you will find a lot of very easy to read articles. It is like entering a great library of everything you could want to know about diabetes.
    For example, this page (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html) should answer your questions.

But please don't stop there. I highly recommend taking a look around: reading about Prediabetes, Living with Diabetes, Treatments and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. erenta

Thank you, @helensaramay!

I have already found this page but it contains 3 different parts for target levels and I'm confused.

1) Table with the NICE recommendation (4 - 5.9)
    2) Normal and diabetic blood sugar ranges (4 - 5.4)
    3) Table with plasma targets (below 5.5)

Which one shall I use for my device which monitors my BG?
    thanks again

4. Redshank

Redshank Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@erenta Welcome
    I am Prediabetic. In setting my own targets I decided that I wanted to be in the healthy range rather than the Diabetic range.
    This is what I aim for. You may not always achieve it, but to me it made more sense than aiming to get worse

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. erenta

Yes, that's what I thought. I'd like to be in the normal range again, therefore I'll be more strict with my target.
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some people are on medication to achieve targets, so the T2D targets are a balance between blood sugar level and not being over medicated. As you are not on medication you can safely aim for the non-diabetic range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. erenta

thank you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook