So I really fancy a blood orange.

Are oranges really bad for diabetics?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit contains a lot of fructose, which goes straight to the liver where it is converted to fat and stored round the liver. Fatty liver = insulin resistance = higher blood glucose.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I wouldn't even test it to find out. REALLY bad idea

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The thing about fruit is that even though some fruit has lower amounts of glucose than others they all have fructose. We can see through our readings what that glucose is doing but we cannot actually see what and where the fructose is going and as @Bluetit1802 has said, the fructose is doing us no favours in terms of fatty liver and insulin resistance.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
*** this stupid stupid Diabetes. I love blood oranges!

If I had one segment at a time would that still be bad?

Is it having too much or literally just eating any?

Did I mention I hate this *** diabetes.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
*** this stupid stupid Diabetes. I love blood oranges!

Did I mention I hate this *** diabetes.

That's entirely up to you and your willpower and your general reaction to fructose

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - bearing in mind how you have reacted to "just a bit" of other stuff (like chocolate) in the past, I'd ask you to ask yourself if a segment or a few segments is actually a realistic, workable proposition.

It entirely your call.

Reactions: Krystyna23040
D

Deleted member 308541

There's a expression here in Australia referring to alcoholics and a carton of beer, "one beers to many, the cartons not enough".

Same thing applies to your orange segments.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks guys.

Didn’t have them but craved something sweet all day for some reason.

Was good though and didn’t have anything although probably wallowed a bit more than was needed?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys.

Didn’t have them but craved something sweet all day for some reason.

Was good though and didn’t have anything although probably wallowed a bit more than was needed?

Well done not caving in. Sometimes a decent reprise of carb flu can be a great disincentive to stroll that path again! There's always a silver lining. :)

I count my lucky stars I've never really had a sweet tooth, but if you feel you want to have something sweet, could you try making something like a yoghurt, or chia pudding, the flavour it with either food essences or a sugar-free syrup?

As I say, I'm supremely rubbish at desserts (although I do a mean frozen berries with extra thick cream), so wouldn't be your go-to for quantities or proportions.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well done not caving in. Sometimes a decent reprise of carb flu can be a great disincentive to stroll that path again! There's always a silver lining. :)

I count my lucky stars I've never really had a sweet tooth, but if you feel you want to have something sweet, could you try making something like a yoghurt, or chia pudding, the flavour it with either food essences or a sugar-free syrup?

As I say, I'm supremely rubbish at desserts (although I do a mean frozen berries with extra thick cream), so wouldn't be your go-to for quantities or proportions.

Thank you!!

At home it’s fine, I don’t have anything in the house and can’t be bothered to go out which is perfect!

If I fancy something sweet o tend to have a hot chocolate. Doesn’t do much and a nice taste. I think as well I have drink the wrong thing.

Fancied something different so bought this on Thursday, craved it all day yesterday and today bought another. Sugar free but I suspect it’s the culprit because even though it’s not refreshing me at all, feel thirstier by drinking it, I keep wanting it.
IMG_1556363242.832757.jpg

I’m off out for dinner tonight so a part of me is dreading it as there will be carbs and then I have to restart tomorrow, but at the same time I want to get where I can have one meal every so often as a treat and not have to. So have to start somewhere.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!!

At home it’s fine, I don’t have anything in the house and can’t be bothered to go out which is perfect!

If I fancy something sweet o tend to have a hot chocolate. Doesn’t do much and a nice taste. I think as well I have drink the wrong thing.

Fancied something different so bought this on Thursday, craved it all day yesterday and today bought another. Sugar free but I suspect it’s the culprit because even though it’s not refreshing me at all, feel thirstier by drinking it, I keep wanting it. View attachment 32578

I’m off out for dinner tonight so a part of me is dreading it as there will be carbs and then I have to restart tomorrow, but at the same time I want to get where I can have one meal every so often as a treat and not have to. So have to start somewhere.

Some of those falvoured waters are wolves in sheep's clothing, so please be sure to check the labels.

Please don't break yourr low carb run tonight. Of courrse it's you choice what you do, but the confidence of knowing you can (because you have) is very good for confidence, and also after a short while, folks often can't be bothered with tht "just one meal".

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Some of those falvoured waters are wolves in sheep's clothing, so please be sure to check the labels.

Please don't break yourr low carb run tonight. Of courrse it's you choice what you do, but the confidence of knowing you can (because you have) is very good for confidence, and also after a short while, folks often can't be bothered with tht "just one meal".

I would t know what to eat though.
Because of IBS I can’t eat lettuce (I haven’t tried it since D and IBS has improved so won’t rush trying it tonight) is on my list to test but have no appetite for it because it used to make me so ill.

We are going to bills so I can have protein etc in shape if burgers but wouldn’t know what else to eat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would t know what to eat though.
Because of IBS I can’t eat lettuce (I haven’t tried it since D and IBS has improved so won’t rush trying it tonight) is on my list to test but have no appetite for it because it used to make me so ill.

We are going to bills so I can have protein etc in shape if burgers but wouldn’t know what else to eat

Does where you are going have a website? If so, if you post it here, "we'll" maybe make the dd suggestion?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Does where you are going have a website? If so, if you post it here, "we'll" maybe make the dd suggestion?

I’m trying to look at website but very slow.
I’ll post menu if I get to it

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg

I am thinking the Kashmiri lamb shank. Only because it’s coconut rice so assuming that’s ok.

Could always order some veg sides as well.
It’s completely different to what I’d normally have, burgers chips fish and chips etc.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Oh expect that the lamb is spicy and I don’t like spicy. But I can ask if they can make it mild

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Burger, cheese, haloumi, chicken breast, mushroom sauce, broccoli, steak, eggs, sea bass... there’s endless possibilities on that menu.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Burger, cheese, haloumi, chicken breast, mushroom sauce, broccoli, steak, eggs, sea bass... there’s endless possibilities on that menu.

But you have to remove half of it to make it low carb.

Maybe I’m stupid but I really get annoyed at having to buy a meal I can’t eat. There just seems no point in going out fir a meal if I can’t eat half of what’s on the plate.