Type 2 Blood oranges/oranges/tangerines etc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would plump for a steak, tomato, and ask for a salad (no dressing) or veg instead of fries..

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you have to remove half of it to make it low carb.

Maybe I’m stupid but I really get annoyed at having to buy a meal I can’t eat. There just seems no point in going out fir a meal if I can’t eat half of what’s on the plate.

No you don’t, you tell them what you want on your plate and they do it. You are the customer and they are there to serve you, so if you don’t want the mash, don’t have it and ask for something else instead. It’s the same price.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Burger, cheese, haloumi, chicken breast, mushroom sauce, broccoli, steak, eggs, sea bass... there’s endless possibilities on that menu.

Sorry. Thanks for looking.

My anti D moment is my issue.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d have a big steak with the mushrooms, broccoli and maybe a fried egg or the bunless burger, cheese, bacon, coleslaw and haloumi.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you have to remove half of it to make it low carb.

Maybe I’m stupid but I really get annoyed at having to buy a meal I can’t eat. There just seems no point in going out fir a meal if I can’t eat half of what’s on the plate.

I agree but it’s easily solved. Ask to remove the fries/rice/bread and have it replaced extra salad or veg instead. There’s a nice side with broccoli they could swap it for, also already on the menu is red cabbage or a cucumber and red onion salad, coleslaw or the eggs that typically come with steak. There’s a good cauliflower starter that could be a side. The burgers are advertised as naked which suggested they are carb aware to some degree and likely to be helpful. I’d have a fair few options here.

Often they just do it without any issue, sometimes going out of their way to come up with suggestions. Sometimes I mutter the words intolerance and starch and that can help if they’re reluctant which doesn’t happen often. You are intolerant to carbs so it’s true without going into details. I mention starch otherwise the gluten free tangent can happen and if they are really on the ball veg and salad have carbs but they’re generally ok as they’re not starchy.

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - You've had some good suggestions.

Personally, I might go for some fish, but I luuuurve fish.

Be caeful of the coconut rice. It's 99.99999% unlikely to be made from coconut (like cauliflower rice is made from cocnut). The following snip are the ingredients for an Indian coconut rice:

upload_2019-4-27_17-38-0.png

For a Thai variant, the only cocnut in it is coconut milk as part of the cooking fluid.

Reactions: 1spuds

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I did it!!

Had steak and eggs and swapped fries with broccoli and sugar snap peas side dish. They asked if it was allergy so I said yes and they were good as gold.

Had the mushroom sauce which I think had flour in I’m assuming but I wasn’t going fir no carb.

Starter was the fried halloumi with chutney. I did have the chutney but again I wasn’t aiming for no carb.

Didn’t have dessert, had friend had some I’m not sure I would have not had any but we didn’t do success there too.

Really enjoyed the meal as it was delicious, didn’t feel I was missing out.

But!! Dear god I missed the chips. I was and still am craving like mad. Even now I’m on the train I am craving. Nothing in particular just the odd thought keeps popping in about chips etc!!

Will get home and have a hot chocoate!

Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it.

My first meal out that wasn’t carb heavy! Not sure it will be any easier next time as it did feel like I had to work at it. It would have been easier to just have fries.

But I guess it’s worth the fight!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it!!

Had steak and eggs and swapped fries with broccoli and sugar snap peas side dish. They asked if it was allergy so I said yes and they were good as gold.

Had the mushroom sauce which I think had flour in I’m assuming but I wasn’t going fir no carb.

Starter was the fried halloumi with chutney. I did have the chutney but again I wasn’t aiming for no carb.

Didn’t have dessert, had friend had some I’m not sure I would have not had any but we didn’t do success there too.

Really enjoyed the meal as it was delicious, didn’t feel I was missing out.

But!! Dear god I missed the chips. I was and still am craving like mad. Even now I’m on the train I am craving. Nothing in particular just the odd thought keeps popping in about chips etc!!

Will get home and have a hot chocoate!

Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it.

My first meal out that wasn’t carb heavy! Not sure it will be any easier next time as it did feel like I had to work at it. It would have been easier to just have fries.

Huge well done!!

When folks have asked me why I might not be having the carbier elements (never had any waiting stff ask - only friends/acquaintances, I say I had some routine blood tests done (true - I was diagnosed out of the blue) and discovered some things I was eating and drinking werern't doing me any favours, so I was giving them a miss for now. That "for now" has gone on a bit is just old news. Nobody questioned further.

You'll work out your preferred approach in no time.

Again, big well done on another successful first.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Huge well done!!

When folks have asked me why I might not be having the carbier elements (never had any waiting stff ask - only friends/acquaintances, I say I had some routine blood tests done (true - I was diagnosed out of the blue) and discovered some things I was eating and drinking werern't doing me any favours, so I was giving them a miss for now. That "for now" has gone on a bit is just old news. Nobody questioned further.

You'll work out your preferred approach in no time.

Again, big well done on another successful first.

Thank you!

I’m not sure I deserve it all though.
As much as I really enjoyed the meal, and I did, I was eating for the diabetes which in turn makes me so angry.

So I’m doing it, but I seem angry for having to do it.

I know I have to but I hate diabetes for making me.

Does there ever come a time where this hatred and anger disappears and you just accept things and get on with things?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

As much as I really enjoyed the meal, and I did, I was eating for the diabetes which in turn makes me so angry.

Does there ever come a time where this hatred and anger disappears and you just accept things and get on with things?

I never had great anger at it all. I had initia frustration about lots of things surrounding it all - the timing of my diagnosis could not have been worse, in so many ways, but it does take a while to get int the groove and used to, almost automatically making choices suitable for me.

These days, I never look at the dessert menu, and would just never think of having pizza, although piza was never a favoured choice and pasta was a bit "so what".

For me, the things I could still go OTT on are decent quality crisps, like Kettle Chips, and the odd bit of tempura batter around some king prawns.

I'd be fibbing and really disingenuous if I didn't confess to having the odd "Meh!" day with it all, but that's much, much more likely to be the gluten-free aspects things, thaan simply lpw carb.

You'll be fine. Habits take time to form and break.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

Anger,frustration, sadness are all forms of grief. Grief for the health you thought you had but don’t. We all vary how we deal with it and how long it takes. Personally speaking fear consumed me at first. Frustration rears it’s head from time to time and so does a good dose of self pity “why me?” .

However getting used to eating this way, being familiar with what I can and can’t eat, seeing things like bacon, cheese, cream and dark chocolate as naughty luxuries I really am allowed helps the mindset. Most of the time it’s just the way it is now. Sure it’s a pain when out sometimes and I wish it were different sometimes but hey there’s worse things I could be dealing with, blindness, amputations etc. (Back to the fear but it’s under control not controlling me now)

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you enjoyed your meal and found some good choices. I’ve had some of the feelings you mentioned - so honestly - but this has changed a bit with time. Occasionally, circumstances may trigger them - I think it’s when I feel a bit vulnerable and fearful about not getting my needs met. But I mention I have had a diagnosis of prediabetes and that it’s probably coming to a lot of people - I just happen to be one of the early adopters of a needed low carb diet!!

I’ve heard it said that anger sometimes is the layer on top of another emotion - with me it’s usually sadness. I’m not someone who gets angry or cries a lot most of the time. But when I got the diagnosis of prediabetes I was like a raving harpie with PMT mood swings for 48 hours! I agree with the ‘grief’ focus - it’s painful to look at what’s ahead and know that this is your life now.

For me, the pain was in knowing what I’d have to give up, as I had become accustomed to thinking I was fine with eating chips, crisps, chocolate, ice cream, cakes, pastries, pies, sausage rolls - the list goes on! And I’d been ill with gallbladder disease 4 years before where I’d had to avoid most of those things due to fat content.

I was enjoying being able to eat freely, only to then discover no, I couldn’t - not unless I wanted to feel ill and suffer the consequences of full blown type 2 diabetes!

But I was already feeling quite unwell even with only prediabetes (I later discovered I had a cataract which was not helping matters). I had a frozen shoulder, which seems to be a risk factor for diabetics due to chromium deficiency. That led to treatment with a chiropractor, who enlightened me to the possible outcome of untreated diabetes (nerve damage, blindness, limb loss etc). It was the shock I needed to start me feeling grateful that I had a chance to do something to reverse this trend (which I gather type 2s can do as well as prediabetics).

So, I get the anger response - and any other difficult feelings. They tend to trouble me less now that I’ve weaned myself away from so much sugar. But I sometimes panic if I know I’m going away and going to faced with very limited food options.

Bills menu is not too bad, in my experience. The sausage snack makes a good starter if you ask them to omit the honey in the sauce - just have mustard (or not much of the sauce!) I have the baked burger with an added avocado topping. It does come with a little salad but you could ask for the broccoli side instead (which I sometimes add if I’m very hungry). My husband asks to swap the sweet potato fries for normal fries for 50p extra (!) with his steak. I usually nick a few of those, with some mayo!

I do miss puddings sometimes. And I’m sensitive to caffeine. They do a really nice decaf coffee in Bill’s - with one of those I don’t then feel deprived whilst hub has his pud :)

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it!!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...orning-and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/

Of course you have to work at it.It will get easier and very natural with practice if you stick to it.My thought is I can eat what I want and die or eat what is good for me (and still delicious,just new attitude/choices) and live.My wife needs me.Simple choice for me.

Reactions: Krystyna23040