Just diagnosed and worrying

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still only use the old table for glucose so not sure what 32.5 is ...However I tempered how daunting it was when I was first diagnosed out the blue when I was 33 years old ... read my blog www.alternativediabetic.com it may give you some help you have to scroll down to bottom to see how it all started ... all I can say is a low carb diet is the way to go ... your sugars won’t spike so much , also were you over weight when diagnosed or is it an issue with your pancreas ?
I'm type 1, so nothing to do with my weight. I had DKA when I went to hospital, and had lost a lot of weight because of this, so I'm actually underweight at the moment. I don't want to go on a low carb diet, and my nurse has advised against it and to keep my diet as normal. My diet is a little restricted just with sugary things being cut back a lot until my levels sort themselves out (which they are doing slowly), so I'd you did have any suggestions for any snacks that aren't super sugary, but will help me put weight on, then I'd be super grateful!

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pork Scratchings, bacon, most nuts are pretty good, Greek yogurt cheese. You can carb count and dose the way you have been recommended.

If you are feeling well enough then going for a walk can really help to bring down the bg levels. Just test regularly and have hypo treatments to hand while you learn how your body reacts.

Reactions: Knikki

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pork Scratchings, bacon, most nuts are pretty good, Greek yogurt cheese. You can carb count and dose the way you have been recommended.

If you are feeling well enough then going for a walk can really help to bring down the bg levels. Just test regularly and have hypo treatments to hand while you learn how your body reacts.
Thank you! I've mostly been snacking on cheese at the moment, so need a bit of a change!

cpea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jazz97. I was diagnosed T1 in December last year. I have found the book Bright Spots and Landmines by Adam Brown really helpful (although he uses US figures rather than mmol/l so you have to keep dividing by 18)! On weight gain, now you are on insulin you will put weight on. I was told this would happen by my DN as I had also lost weight I didn’t want to lose. Good luck!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jazz97. I was diagnosed T1 in December last year. I have found the book Bright Spots and Landmines by Adam Brown really helpful (although he uses US figures rather than mmol/l so you have to keep dividing by 18)! On weight gain, now you are on insulin you will put weight on. I was told this would happen by my DN as I had also lost weight I didn’t want to lose. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm 22 and just been diagnosed with type 1. It's my first day at home and doing everything for myself.
I'm trying to be calm, but my glucose was just at 32.5 a couple of hours after breakfast. I did have quite a big breakfast, but this is still just messing with my head a bit. I don't think I need to worry, because obviously they haven't sorted out my dosages yet, and my ketones are fine.
I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance if there is any, and wondering if other people had this when they were first diagnosed.

Thanks
Gosh - it IS scary! (It was my poor mum who had to deal with it all initially in my case as I was diagnosed aged 2 and 9 months, The syringes in those days (1958) were glass and metal and had to be boiled once a week! Now things have moved on so much and believe me it gets easier: I've survived healthily and happily to my age now, 63, and have had a long and satisfying career. I'm still adjusting my bolus/basal regime - only just been told control is better/easier once you split the basal to twice a day and tweak to fit - sorry, but things MAY change every now and then, that's both you and medical advice and you just learn to adjust.

It's manageable, it's do-able, and I see it as a game I've learned (pretty much) to win. Don't be afraid to ask your Diabetes team for advice and consult them if ever worried - you don't need to worry!

Reactions: jefff and Jazz97

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jazz97 you've definitely found the right place for help and advice here. After 30+ years T1 I found more New and helpful things here than in the previous 25 years. When you're new to this, the amount of change to which you have to adapt and the amount of information you get can be overwhelming. Instant perfect control isn't going to happen and perfect control probably never.
Take your time, learn as you go along, carb counting and matching that to your insulin will become second nature in time. Keeping records of insulin and what you eat will help. @Scott-C is right, there'll be days when you do everything perfectly and it still goes t#ts up and that's just part of it.
Good luck!

Reactions: Jazz97

jane1754

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you! I definitely want to go in a DAFNE course at some point, but have been told that I need to be in a routine of taking insulin for 6 to 12 months first. A bit frustrating, but I guess I get it.
I know things will work themselves out eventually!
I was also told that I would have to wait one year before going on a DAPHNE course, but my husband discovered an e-course (free) offered by the Bournemouth hospital (Bournemouth Diabetic and Endocrinology Centre). It was so helpful, easy to work through, and taught me so much about carb counting. i don't think Bournemouth do it now, but other people do similar courses. Worth an online search. I don't know why we are told we have to wait a year. I understand in Germany it is routine for Type 1s to be offered carb counting instruction fairly soon after being diagnosed. Why the need to wait when it can help so much?

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also told that I would have to wait one year before going on a DAPHNE course, but my husband discovered an e-course (free) offered by the Bournemouth hospital (Bournemouth Diabetic and Endocrinology Centre). It was so helpful, easy to work through, and taught me so much about carb counting. i don't think Bournemouth do it now, but other people do similar courses. Worth an online search. I don't know why we are told we have to wait a year. I understand in Germany it is routine for Type 1s to be offered carb counting instruction fairly soon after being diagnosed. Why the need to wait when it can help so much?
Ooh thank you, I'll have a Google
Yeah, I was quite shocked when my horse said how long it would be.
Worried about how it will work around uni when I start back if I still need to be having 3 meals a day
The nurse said that I need to be in a routine of injecting. But surely it makes more sense to add carb counting into that routine, as otherwise I'll have more adjustments to make a year on from now when I would prefer everything to be normal by then

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
I'm type 1, so nothing to do with my weight. I had DKA when I went to hospital, and had lost a lot of weight because of this, so I'm actually underweight at the moment. I don't want to go on a low carb diet, and my nurse has advised against it and to keep my diet as normal. My diet is a little restricted just with sugary things being cut back a lot until my levels sort themselves out (which they are doing slowly), so I'd you did have any suggestions for any snacks that aren't super sugary, but will help me put weight on, then I'd be super grateful!
I had DKA when i was first diagnosed too ..its when your body can't break down the sugars and becomes insulin resistant or stops making insulin....There are loads of snacks on the market without sugar and high in protein/carbs ie Nuts ..try Juicing veg and fruit combined with Pea protein powder added...a good nutritionist would help advise as I spend my time keep my weight down ...