Raised Hba1c

womble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i had a few operations over 3 months for kidney stones & my Hba1c rose to 9.3.! GP wanted to give me more medication even though i am on 1g metformin morning & night. He advised i eat porridge rather than bread which i did & now my Hba1c 9.1 & he wants to put me on more medication. Should i accept the extra medication & sign up to low carb diet or just do low carb diet for 3 months then re-check Hba1c?? Any advice greatly appreciated as i dont want to run risk of probs with my diabetes but also know i will find it hard to try & come off any meds if i get diabetes well under control as my GP not that great x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i had a few operations over 3 months for kidney stones & my Hba1c rose to 9.3.! GP wanted to give me more medication even though i am on 1g metformin morning & night. He advised i eat porridge rather than bread which i did & now my Hba1c 9.1 & he wants to put me on more medication. Should i accept the extra medication & sign up to low carb diet or just do low carb diet for 3 months then re-check Hba1c?? Any advice greatly appreciated as i dont want to run risk of probs with my diabetes but also know i will find it hard to try & come off any meds if i get diabetes well under control as my GP not that great x

Good morning womble.

You've been in the wars, if you've had multiple ops for kidney stones. I don't envy you one little bit!

Regarding T2 diet; many of us found when we started really looking at our eating and drinking that porridge really wasn't our friend, and really wasn't doing us any favours. That position is quite similar to bread.

For many eating a diet of reduced carbs has been quite transformational, but it is really best achieved alongside self testing (finger prick tests) our blood sugars. That way we got immediate, personal blood suagr feedback, meaning we didn;t wait 3 months to see how well, or otherwise we might be doing.

If when we test the numbers aren't where we want them, it means we have to eat less of whatever we've eaten, or even give it up.

I'd urge you to have a look at the the low carb diet. Whether or not you choose to up your meds as you go along is your choice alone, but many have found the lower carb diet has allowed them to reduce or stop meds, rather than adding them on.

womble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning womble.

You've been in the wars, if you've had multiple ops for kidney stones. I don't envy you one little bit!

Regarding T2 diet; many of us found when we started really looking at our eating and drinking that porridge really wasn't our friend, and really wasn't doing us any favours. That position is quite similar to bread.

For many eating a diet of reduced carbs has been quite transformational, but it is really best achieved alongside self testing (finger prick tests) our blood sugars. That way we got immediate, personal blood suagr feedback, meaning we didn;t wait 3 months to see how well, or otherwise we might be doing.

If when we test the numbers aren't where we want them, it means we have to eat less of whatever we've eaten, or even give it up.

I'd urge you to have a look at the the low carb diet. Whether or not you choose to up your meds as you go along is your choice alone, but many have found the lower carb diet has allowed them to reduce or stop meds, rather than adding them on.
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have just ordered a glucometer kit so will start checking my BM regularly.
I have a phone appt with GP beginning of week where i know he will want to give me more medication as thats always his answer! I'm not sure whether to accept extra meds & start low carb diet or refuse extra meds & do low carb diet?
I did low carb yesterday & have had omelete this morning.
I am travelling today but am def going to sign up to low carb diet later today/ tomorrow as i need the food ideas & support. I had asked GP years ago about Newcastle diet & he said it was load of rubbish but now local healthboard are buying into it but are very selective on patients they choose! x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have just ordered a glucometer kit so will start checking my BM regularly.
I have a phone appt with GP beginning of week where i know he will want to give me more medication as thats always his answer! I'm not sure whether to accept extra meds & start low carb diet or refuse extra meds & do low carb diet?
I did low carb yesterday & have had omelete this morning.
I am travelling today but am def going to sign up to low carb diet later today/ tomorrow as i need the food ideas & support. I had asked GP years ago about Newcastle diet & he said it was load of rubbish but now local healthboard are buying into it but are very selective on patients they choose! x

Womble, the thimking on T2 diabetes is (at last) changing quite radically.

Many members here have "negotiated" a 3 (or whatever) month window to try low carb, to see what is does for their A1cs, before starting new meds, and Docs are often very happy with that.

At 9.1 your A1c is quite high - especially following an even higher one, but it's certainly not the highest we've seen here, and wouldn't be the highest we've seen turn around, should you find lower carb works for you.

It's not my, or anyone else's place to tell you what decisions to make surrounding your meds. Only you can decide on that. I'm just trying to replay some of the things I have observed here on forum.

Keep reading around, and scan these threads:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-explained-in-60-seconds.98116/

I hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: ziggy_w

womble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Womble, the thimking on T2 diabetes is (at last) changing quite radically.

Many members here have "negotiated" a 3 (or whatever) month window to try low carb, to see what is does for their A1cs, before starting new meds, and Docs are often very happy with that.

At 9.1 your A1c is quite high - especially following an even higher one, but it's certainly not the highest we've seen here, and wouldn't be the highest we've seen turn around, should you find lower carb works for you.

It's not my, or anyone else's place to tell you what decisions to make surrounding your meds. Only you can decide on that. I'm just trying to replay some of the things I have observed here on forum.

Keep reading around, and scan these threads:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-explained-in-60-seconds.98116/

I hope that helps a bit.
Thank you so much for help & advice. I will join low carb plan & think about what to do medicine wise over next couple days x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for help & advice. I will join low carb plan & think about what to do medicine wise over next couple days x

Hi Womble.

No need to join anything, if you need meal ideas then there are thousands of suggestions here.
Very basically, eat animal protein, dairy, eggs, nuts and a bit of above ground veg. It may sound a bit simple but in that list is the stuff of amazing food and numbers to boot.
Stay away from vegetable oils (apart from olive oil) and anything low fat.
Don’t attribute certain food with certain meals and you don’t have to eat just because you’re hungry.

I guarantee your numbers will drop dramatically.