Is moringa really the new diabetic super-food?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a trip around some remote Ethiopian villages last week, I was introduced to the Moringa tree. I had been vaguely aware that this was supposedly the new super-food, but I tend to ignore such fads and hyped up claims. However, when the guide told me that Moringa has many health benefits, including the ability to lower BG levels, my ears pricked up and I purchased 1kg of powder.

Has anyone been taking Moringa supplements in any form and found it beneficial to lowering their BG levels? There doesn't seem to have been any significant scientific studies to support the claims. I found this, but there are lots of 'mays' rather than facts: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-moringa-oleifera

Any thoughts or Moringa recipe ideas much appreciated!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
https://examine.com/supplements/moringa-oleifera/

While both the antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties are somewhat interesting, until the exact mechanisms and relative potency to some other antioxidants or antiinflammatories are tested it is hard to recommend this supplement over other options.

It is important to note that although the plant is generally considered to be 'nontoxic', this does not appear to be the case at all times. While supplemental dosages listed below appear to be safe from all tested toxicity a, relatively small increase (3-4 times the recommended does) is known to cause genotoxic damage and may promote cancer formation whereas higher doses cause overt organ damage (mostly liver and kidneys). This effect is seen with the seeds while toxicity of the leaves seems to be a lesser concern. Beyond that, reasonable supplemental dosages appear to be able to induce abortions in pregnant rats and thus supplementation is contraindicated (not advised) in pregnant women.

So, I guess it's up to you whether you
1) trust the guide to have given you the "real thing" and not some random powder
2) want to trust the dosage recommended by the guide or make up your own
3) want to experiment with your own body when there aren't any clinical trials out there to say if it's safe or not.

Maybe it works??? I don't know, but please be aware of the potential risks.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://examine.com/supplements/moringa-oleifera/

While both the antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties are somewhat interesting, until the exact mechanisms and relative potency to some other antioxidants or antiinflammatories are tested it is hard to recommend this supplement over other options.

It is important to note that although the plant is generally considered to be 'nontoxic', this does not appear to be the case at all times. While supplemental dosages listed below appear to be safe from all tested toxicity a, relatively small increase (3-4 times the recommended does) is known to cause genotoxic damage and may promote cancer formation whereas higher doses cause overt organ damage (mostly liver and kidneys). This effect is seen with the seeds while toxicity of the leaves seems to be a lesser concern. Beyond that, reasonable supplemental dosages appear to be able to induce abortions in pregnant rats and thus supplementation is contraindicated (not advised) in pregnant women.

So, I guess it's up to you whether you
1) trust the guide to have given you the "real thing" and not some random powder
2) want to trust the dosage recommended by the guide or make up your own
3) want to experiment with your own body when there aren't any clinical trials out there to say if it's safe or not.

Maybe it works??? I don't know, but please be aware of the potential risks.

Thanks for this link. Yes, I am happy it is the real thing, so will give it a go in small doses and test to see what happens over the course of a few months. Unless it tastes horrible. In which case it will go in the bin. Or be used to reduce wrinkles! "Application of a 3% moringa leaf cream for three winter months in young adult males appeared to reduce visual wrinkles on the cheeks relative to control cream."

Reactions: Freema

benefitsofa

On a trip around some remote Ethiopian villages last week, I was introduced to the Moringa tree. I had been vaguely aware that this was supposedly the new super-food, but I tend to ignore such fads and hyped up claims. However, when the guide told me that Moringa has many health benefits, including the ability to lower BG levels, my ears pricked up and I purchased 1kg of powder.

Has anyone been taking Moringa supplements in any form and found it beneficial to lowering their BG levels? There doesn't seem to have been any significant scientific studies to support the claims. I found this, but there are lots of 'mays' rather than facts:

Any thoughts or Moringa recipe ideas much appreciated!
Although the leaves and bark of the moringa tree are safe to consume, they can produce side effects. Among these are diarrhea, stomach upset, flatulence, and insomnia. Some studies have shown that moringa can cause cell mutations in certain people, affecting their fertility.

Last edited: