[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Is it normal to feel extremely tried and sick after having my breakfast?
I’m monitoring my blood glucose level. its always high after breakfast and it takes 5 hours to go back to its normal lvl.

I’m not feeling well & I’m always tired.

Can anyone help me?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating for breakfast? What meds do you take at that time?

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you eating for breakfast? What meds do you take at that time?

Usually brown bread cheese sandwich & banana or biscuits or yoghurt +/or coffee with Milk

I’m taking Humalog 100.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No it is not normal. How are sugar levels? Ketones?

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you checked your keytones.how long have you been diabetic :)

Yup. Last week I checked myself & it was negative

2 years ago, and I’m still unable to adhere to a certain diet.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yup. Last week I checked myself & it was negative

2 years ago, and I’m still unable to adhere to a certain diet.
Yes but have you checked today while feeling unwell? What is your sugar level?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check your ketones again just to make sure also if your insulin to carb ratio is correct you should be able to eat what you like .maybe you may have an infection or your coming down with something otherwise make an appointment with your gp or diabetes team hope you get sorted

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but have you checked today while feeling unwell? What is your sugar level?

Before breakfast it was 100mg/dl= 5.5 mmol/L
Then it started to increase till 280 mg/dl =15.5 mmol/L over 4 hours
Now after 5 hours it’s starting to come down 154mg/dl = 7 mmol/L
And I guess after 2 more hours I’ll suffer from hypoglycemia.

No I didn’t check it today.

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
& i noticed that my blood glucose is going high after brushing my teeth

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check your ketones again just to make sure also if your insulin to carb ratio is correct you should be able to eat what you like .maybe you may have an infection or your coming down with something otherwise make an appointment with your gp or diabetes team hope you get sorted

I discussed this before with my diabetic educator however I didn’t reach to the cause of post meal hyperglycemia & dizziness.

Actually I’m not calculating carbs & I don’t know my exact insulin sensitivity.However I’m sure that I’m taking enough insulin since Usually I suffer from hypoglycemia 5 hours after eating.
Thank you

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So there are several issues there.
That was quite a high carb breakfast (but you aren’t counting them).
You don’t actually know your ratio so could be injecting too much hence the hypos.
Did you pre bolus to let insulin get to work before eating?
It sounds like you need to get to grips with ratios and carb counting to avoid the spikes.

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So there are several issues there.
That was quite a high carb breakfast (but you aren’t counting them).
You don’t actually know your ratio so could be injecting too much hence the hypos.
Did you pre bolus to let insulin get to work before eating?
It sounds like you need to get to grips with ratios and carb counting to avoid the spikes.

I’m taking it 10~15 mins before food.
For carbs. It was only brown bread & banana. That’s why I don’t understand why it’s very high even when I’m taking 10 U insulin. And now it’s going low.
Maybe I need to increase the pre bolus time. I’ll try to do this & monitor what will happen.
Thank you so much

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
For carbs. It was only brown bread & banana. That’s why I don’t understand why it’s very high even when I’m taking 10 U insulin. And now it’s going low.

I'm guessing that your brown bread sandwich is 30-40g, a banana is 15g-30g (depends on size). So it's a fair amount of carb.

If you're going hypo 5 hours after the meal it suggests to me that maybe you're not taking enough bolus insulin and are taking too much basal. (I assume you are taking a long acting/basal insulin of some kind?). You really need to take a food/blood sugar/insulin diary to your diabetic team so that they can check you're on the right basal rate and calculate your insulin/carb ratio. And while they are about it, they can give you a correction dose ratio.

Plus if you're going high after you've got up but before you eat there's an additional factor called the dawn phenomenon. Basically, your liver dumps sugar first thing in the morning so that you can be all bright and bushy tailed and go out and chase a mammoth (or whatever active thing you might need to do first thing). It's fine for a non-diabetic, who just dumps out insulin in response, but some diabetics have horrendous problems with early morning sugars as a result.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I need to increase the pre bolus time. I’ll try to do this & monitor what will happen.
Thank you so much

Dod95 - Are you taking fixed amounts of insulin, or adjusting, depending on what you eat?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much
My ratios are 1 unit of insulin to every ten grams of carb so for what you had i would have 5units of insulin (but your ratios may be different to mine)maybe try having half your insulin 15/30 minutes b4 and the other half about 30/60mins later this is only a suggestion on my part as i am not medically trained i find fruit spikes me high regardless of what insulin i take but comes bk in range by the 4/5hour mark its a process of trial and error x

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm guessing that your brown bread sandwich is 30-40g, a banana is 15g-30g (depends on size). So it's a fair amount of carb.

If you're going hypo 5 hours after the meal it suggests to me that maybe you're not taking enough bolus insulin and are taking too much basal. (I assume you are taking a long acting/basal insulin of some kind?). You really need to take a food/blood sugar/insulin diary to your diabetic team so that they can check you're on the right basal rate and calculate your insulin/carb ratio. And while they are about it, they can give you a correction dose ratio.

Plus if you're going high after you've got up but before you eat there's an additional factor called the dawn phenomenon. Basically, your liver dumps sugar first thing in the morning so that you can be all bright and bushy tailed and go out and chase a mammoth (or whatever active thing you might need to do first thing). It's fine for a non-diabetic, who just dumps out insulin in response, but some diabetics have horrendous problems with early morning sugars as a result.

I’m taking Tresiba (insulin degludec),
I guess i need to adjust pre bolus timing. Maybe insulin is taking more time to get a
Absorbed in my body.
I don’t have a problem since at the end it comes back to the normal range. However the continues headache & dizziness feelings are ruining my life.

And yes I really need to learn Carbs counting & insulin sensitivity. Being organized and to follow a schedule & daily routine is very difficult for me. It has been two years and still I’m unable to live this kind of life.

Thanks for this perfect explanation appreciated.

Do you have any idea if toothpaste increases blood glucose? I’m using free style libre & the there are always spikes after brushing my teeth.