Type 1'stars R Us

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok making progress but just beware the fruits like bananas, blood oranges and others have high concetrations of fructose, fruit sugar in other words and as you see it can push you up. They tend to be a no no for T2, so once you get more of a hold on this T1 malarkey you may find you will just have to add a little insulin to cover you. :)

Bit like me with cake :joyful::angelic:
An hour later and the BS has started dropping again! So looks like I'll need a tiny bit of insulin, but I can live with that.
Tbh I've been avoiding fruit because of the fructose. It's scaring me a little at the moment, but I have a little here and there. Also may have had a little cake here and there too

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
An hour later and the BS has started dropping again! So looks like I'll need a tiny bit of insulin, but I can live with that.
Tbh I've been avoiding fruit because of the fructose. It's scaring me a little at the moment, but I have a little here and there. Also may have had a little cake here and there too

When you go for fruit remember that bananas release their carb load gradually, it’s why they’re used to power sports people during a game or match, so you’ll need to watch out for early drops and/or later rises. All are ok with corrections.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tbh I've been avoiding fruit because of the fructose. It's scaring me a little at the moment, but I have a little here and there.

No need to be scared of fruit - I suspect you've maybe been reading too many T2 posts on the subject! Those can be deeply misleading: T2 biology is different. There's no reason at all why T1s can't enjoy a decent range of fruit in moderation.

Fruit has both glucose and fructose in it. The glucose raises bg and can be dealt with by an appropriate amount of insulin.

The fructose doesn't really raise bg. It gets metabolised in the liver and ends up being stored there as glycogen, a storage form of glucose, and any excess will end up as fat.

Keeping the liver stocked with glycogen is a good thing for T1s. It's used as an energy source between meals and is released in response to glucagon being kicked out by the alpha cells in yr pancreas when hypoing.

T1 isn't really about avoiding carbs, it's about managing the absorption rate of them.

For example, if I have fruit as dessert at the end of a meal, the longer chain carbs, and fats and proteins, in the main course will buffer the absorption rate of faster acting carbs in fruit.

For example, the other day I had some Uncle Bens wholegrain Mexican Spiced Rice with some squid rings on top, about 70g, then a Tesco tub of melon, kiwi fruit and strawberries, about 15 to 20g.

Net result was that nothing much happened spike-wise because brown rice is a complex carb which slows down the fruit action.

In the last week, I've eaten kiwi fruit, melon, fresh figs, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, none of which have had a major effect on bg, all of which have given me a range of nutrients and increased my enjoyment of life.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jazz97 . Sterling advice from Scott.
I too like a banana, have one most days. Depending on when I eat it and where my levels are I don’t inject but what I will do is have some peanut butter alongside the banana. Along the same lines as what Scott said, the fat ( good ) in the peanut butter slows down the absorption of the banana in the system.
Of course this only works if you like peanut butter.:):):):):)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a Tweet pop up on my Twitter account saying that Type 1 Nice guidelines are up for review. Clicked on link and read them all. Mostly interesting! Learnt quite a bit. Apparently HBA1C should be done 3-6 monthly. Only having mine done yearly now. The updated ones should be interesting now Libre is in the mix.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a Tweet pop up on my Twitter account saying that Type 1 Nice guidelines are up for review. Clicked on link and read them all. Mostly interesting! Learnt quite a bit. Apparently HBA1C should be done 3-6 monthly. Only having mine done yearly now. The updated ones should be interesting now Libre is in the mix.

Hi there Becca - Do you have a link to the guidelines you read?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just seen that Ed Gamble’s coming near here on 23rd May but younger daughter, grandsons and I will be have a conducted tour of the Mars Rover site that day. Luckily he’s doing another performance on 20 Oct so must book!

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No need to be scared of fruit - I suspect you've maybe been reading too many T2 posts on the subject! Those can be deeply misleading: T2 biology is different. There's no reason at all why T1s can't enjoy a decent range of fruit in moderation.

Fruit has both glucose and fructose in it. The glucose raises bg and can be dealt with by an appropriate amount of insulin.

The fructose doesn't really raise bg. It gets metabolised in the liver and ends up being stored there as glycogen, a storage form of glucose, and any excess will end up as fat.

Keeping the liver stocked with glycogen is a good thing for T1s. It's used as an energy source between meals and is released in response to glucagon being kicked out by the alpha cells in yr pancreas when hypoing.

T1 isn't really about avoiding carbs, it's about managing the absorption rate of them.

For example, if I have fruit as dessert at the end of a meal, the longer chain carbs, and fats and proteins, in the main course will buffer the absorption rate of faster acting carbs in fruit.

For example, the other day I had some Uncle Bens wholegrain Mexican Spiced Rice with some squid rings on top, about 70g, then a Tesco tub of melon, kiwi fruit and strawberries, about 15 to 20g.

Net result was that nothing much happened spike-wise because brown rice is a complex carb which slows down the fruit action.

In the last week, I've eaten kiwi fruit, melon, fresh figs, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, none of which have had a major effect on bg, all of which have given me a range of nutrients and increased my enjoyment of life.
Thank you! That's some really great advice which I will definitely be taking on board!
It's definitely confusing to decide sometimes what's meant for type 1s and what's for type 2s

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jazz97 . Sterling advice from Scott.
I too like a banana, have one most days. Depending on when I eat it and where my levels are I don’t inject but what I will do is have some peanut butter alongside the banana. Along the same lines as what Scott said, the fat ( good ) in the peanut butter slows down the absorption of the banana in the system.
Of course this only works if you like peanut butter.:):):):):)
I wish I liked peanut butter!! Unfortunately I cannot stand any nut butter, even if I like the nut

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! That's some really great advice which I will definitely be taking on board!
It's definitely confusing to decide sometimes what's meant for type 1s and what's for type 2s

@Jazz97 welcome to the best thread, on all of the forum for great advice, help and general banter, we dont take ourselves too seriously on here.

As you have only recently been diagnosed , of course its confusing and can seem a bit daunting. There are many on here who have been type 1 for 30+ years and more. We still find out new things each day/week,and we are still learning, every day is a school day with type 1.

Anything at all you are not sure about ask away, no question is too daft.

This is a great place for support and advice and I would be lost at times without it and thats after 38 + years of type 1

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jazz97 welcome to the best thread, on all of the forum for great advice, help and general banter, we dont take ourselves too seriously on here.

As you have only recently been diagnosed , of course its confusing and can seem a bit daunting. There are many on here who have been type 1 for 30+ years and more. We still find out new things each day/week,and we are still learning, every day is a school day with type 1.

Anything at all you are not sure about ask away, no question is too daft.

This is a great place for support and advice and I would be lost at times without it and thats after 38 + years of type 1
Thank you, it really is appreciated. Especially when I do feel like I've been spamming the forum a bit.
Definitely the best thread I've come across!

Reactions: hh1 and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it’s been a great week off work, things done, grandkids played a huge part in making it special.
Today we spent a few hours at a local village St George’s Day fete.
Great fun, there was even a diabetic lucky dip stall collecting for our main hospital/ diabetes centre.
Spoke to the same woman I met a few years back at a different event. Again she told me that me being type 1 was easier for me on account I can eat what I like. I smile and chat, she is a type 2 who takes 3 tablets a day and sometimes suffers with diarrhoea.
Anyway this paled into insignificance. One because the grandkids were having fun and two there was a Spitfire fly past.
My knowledge of WW2 is all from tv, books and school, yet whenever I hear that GROWL of the engine as it approach’s I well up and get covered in goose bumps. Watching the silhouette as it banked around and then hearing that amazing engine again was and always is awesome. It’s such a shame that such a magnificent machine had to be part of such a horrendous part of history.

Goodnight everyone.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last night in Barcelona, timed it rather well to miss Storm Hannah! Had a great time with my stepson who was head-hunted for a job here and my d-in-law has wanted to live here for years. Good to see a dream being realised.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well it’s been a great week off work, things done, grandkids played a huge part in making it special.
Today we spent a few hours at a local village St George’s Day fete.
Great fun, there was even a diabetic lucky dip stall collecting for our main hospital/ diabetes centre.
Spoke to the same woman I met a few years back at a different event. Again she told me that me being type 1 was easier for me on account I can eat what I like. I smile and chat, she is a type 2 who takes 3 tablets a day and sometimes suffers with diarrhoea.
Anyway this paled into insignificance. One because the grandkids were having fun and two there was a Spitfire fly past.
My knowledge of WW2 is all from tv, books and school, yet whenever I hear that GROWL of the engine as it approach’s I well up and get covered in goose bumps. Watching the silhouette as it banked around and then hearing that amazing engine again was and always is awesome. It’s such a shame that such a magnificent machine had to be part of such a horrendous part of history.

Goodnight everyone.

Hi, my daughter's boyfriend is Spitfire mad and wants to get his pilot's license, I shall message him about the flyover. When I see WW11 films especially the paratroopers, I think of my dear dear <3 I am not going to comment on the comment made by the lady at the fete :rolleyes:
It's nice to have the grand kids around, a lovely family day :)
ps diabetes IS like a diabetic lucky dip stall :rolleyes:

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodnight everyone sleep well
FB_IMG_1530273734876.jpg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning all! Here we go with a brand new bright and shiny week. Let's see what life & diabetes fling at us.

Roll on retirement! (without in any way wishing my life away! I just wanna win the lottery, hand in my notice and see What Happens Next)

Get the result of this time round's HbA1C on Wednesday. Got no idea what the result is likely to be. My meter says it'll be fairly low, but then who knows how accurate it is.