Vitamin C reducing BG levels.

Viv19

I have heard from my Australian cousin (who is a nutritionist and works with Diabetes Australia) that an Australian study has shown that taking 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day reduces BG levels. This is reported on Diabetes.co.uk but I couldn’t get a link to copy. But it’s easy enough to find.
Worth trying!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Coincidentally, I was listening to a boffin who was saying that the modern western diet is full of antinutrients, these are compounds which actually cause malabsorption of vitamins and minerals. It follows then that cutting out all/most processed foodstuffs would in essence allow the body to make full use of the nutrients in a diet of fresh, whole foods. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Likely due to the acidity of vitamin C when slows down stomach emptying. I also remembered reading a research that vitamin C supplementation reduces Hba1C, I assume it has something to do with its anti oxidant properties.

Viv19

Coincidentally, I was listening to a boffin who was saying that the modern western diet is full of antinutrients, these are compounds which actually cause malabsorption of vitamins and minerals. It follows then that cutting out all/most processed foodstuffs would in essence allow the body to make full use of the nutrients in a diet of fresh, whole foods. Interesting stuff.

Eating processed food is mad anyway. Not to mention more expensive.
I used to have our daughters phoning from the other side of the world to say ‘Mum how do I make .....’. So they got the message too. :))

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just a note to anyone considering taking vitC supplements (or any type of supplements), remember to read the label's ingredients list carefully. Some supplements contain hidden sugars.

Viv19

The reports say that the Vic C increases insulin sensitivity. I can’t copy it all here but it does sound interesting.
ClinicalTrials.gov (US) has the report of the study.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the study...but it is not open access.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/dom.13571

upload_2019-4-29_13-46-15.png

S

Smammer

I am on a insulin pump and have been for 24 years with good results however since living on my own the last 6 months have gone to pot because I am eating by snacking can anyone tell me how to make good homemade soup, as I have bought a soup maker to help me as I cannot cook I am 72

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
(Full Disclosure first- I trust Dr Richard K. Bernstein, and believe him to be a credible source of information when it comes to Diabetes whether type 1 or 2)
Now back to my post-
In one of his You tube videos, Dr Richard Bernstein cautioned against Vitamin C supplements, due in large part, that they make the BG reading by glucometers unreliable.
So the measuring apparatus is unable to detect the accurate BG level in the blood due to the Vit C interfering with it somehow.
I can't remember the particular video but I stopped my Vitamin C supplementation based on that information.
https://www.practiceupdate.com/cont...interfere-with-blood-glucose-monitoring/65990
This is the only other info I have found online about it, apart from the info I got from Dr Bernstein's video post on You tube

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Worth trying!

I hope it works for everyone, personally it made no difference to my BG at all. One thing I did experience with higher doses of Vit C is the runs It was a very effective when taking cocodomol.

Viv19

I am on a insulin pump and have been for 24 years with good results however since living on my own the last 6 months have gone to pot because I am eating by snacking can anyone tell me how to make good homemade soup, as I have bought a soup maker to help me as I cannot cook I am 72

You are slightly in the wrong place - but never mind. Soup is idiot proof. Presumably you want to make it low carb. Chop your veg - whatever you fancy - into dice sized pieces. For example, onion, carrot, celeriac (the roundish celery tasting root). Mushrooms with leeks and cream is good. Melt some butter in saucepan, mix in chopped veg, heat in butter for a while then add some stock. (I like Kallo organic stock cubes which is sold in uk supermarkets.) About 1 cube for each 500ml. Cook until a knife goes into veg easily.
If you want a smooth creamy soup you need a hand blender (between £10-25). Seasoning up to your taste, but wait until last minute before tasting for salt. Some cream added at the end is good. (If you add it earlier it could boil over).
Chicken soup- stock, finely chop a carrot, some celery stick, whatever veg and herbs you fancy- sliced cabbage works, also small broccoli florets. Boil about 15 mins. Add some cooked chicken (you can buy a cooked piece of chicken or in another pot cover a chicken breast with water and gently cook until no longer soft -15-20 mins. Cut it up and add to soup. Be sure to heat any meat through very thoroughly. Sometimes a squeeze of lemon juice is good for chicken soup.
Once you know how to make a basic soup, it’s easy to improvise. Frozen herbs add some more flavour.

Viv19

I hope it works for everyone, personally it made no difference to my BG at all. One thing I did experience with higher doses of Vit C is the runs It was a very effective when taking cocodomol.

I think you need to take more than the suggested 2 X 500 mg to have that effect :))

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Finger pricking
You are slightly in the wrong place - but never mind. Soup is idiot proof. Presumably you want to make it low carb. Chop your veg - whatever you fancy - into dice sized pieces. For example, onion, carrot, celeriac (the roundish celery tasting root). Mushrooms with leeks and cream is good. Melt some butter in saucepan, mix in chopped veg, heat in butter for a while then add some stock. (I like Kallo organic stock cubes which is sold in uk supermarkets.) About 1 cube for each 500ml. Cook until a knife goes into veg easily.
If you want a smooth creamy soup you need a hand blender (between £10-25). Seasoning up to your taste, but wait until last minute before tasting for salt. Some cream added at the end is good. (If you add it earlier it could boil over).
Chicken soup- stock, finely chop a carrot, some celery stick, whatever veg and herbs you fancy- sliced cabbage works, also small broccoli florets. Boil about 15 mins. Add some cooked chicken (you can buy a cooked piece of chicken or in another pot cover a chicken breast with water and gently cook until no longer soft -15-20 mins. Cut it up and add to soup. Be sure to heat any meat through very thoroughly. Sometimes a squeeze of lemon juice is good for chicken soup.
Once you know how to make a basic soup, it’s easy to improvise. Frozen herbs add some more flavour.
My mum would boil the meat while preping veggies, pull the meat out to cool down, and put the veggies in, then cut the meat and put back in the pot when the veggies were close to done or done to heat the meat then serve, she used to make several servings at once, we would have for 2 days, and can be frozen for days you unable to prepare a meal

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

My mum would boil the meat while preping veggies, pull the meat out to cool down, and put the veggies in, then cut the meat and put back in the pot when the veggies were close to done or done to heat the meat then serve, she used to make several servings at once, we would have for 2 days, and can be frozen for days you unable to prepare a meal

Soup is a great freezer standby. When my mother was ill and couldn’t eat much any more, I made all kinds of soup - but those were with hidden carbs, potatoes, brown rice, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, lentils as well as the veg - and froze it all in portions. That way you don’t eat one kind of soup for X number of days ;))

Reactions: Countrybumpkin
D

Deleted member 308541

I have heard from my Australian cousin (who is a nutritionist and works with Diabetes Australia) that an Australian study has shown that taking 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day reduces BG levels. This is reported on Diabetes.co.uk but I couldn’t get a link to copy. But it’s easy enough to find.
Worth trying!
@Viv19 I posted this link from Diabetes Queensland in another Vit C thread a couple of weeks ago.

It links to the study but it is behind a pay wall.

https://www.diabetesqld.org.au/medi...ntent=Vitamin+C&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

@Viv19 I posted this link from Diabetes Queensland in another Vit C thread a couple of weeks ago.

It links to the study but it is behind a pay wall.

https://www.diabetesqld.org.au/medi...ntent=Vitamin+C&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au

Oh that’s it. Thanks Tipetoo. That’s great. I didn’t see your post.
Apparently free radicals aren’t quite the evil that they were formerly painted to be, (I’m told they have some positive effect but my brain doesn’t remember what), but whatever, I’m going to try this.