porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Funny got the same issues over here.

There have been a stack of updates to Samsung phone so wonder if something has broken, I'm using the xDrip build from 13 April which is better but not great and more often than not will drop the connection.

Be interested to know if you find anything out, don't know if @porl69 is having any issues.

Having a similar issue at the mo......stand alone works when it wants to work! Trying to figure out what is happening.....will keep you updated

Reactions: Knikki

Connie’s Dad

Glad (in some ways) it’s not just me!

It’s quite infuriating and hard to try things out as I need to have Connie close by and I don’t like fussing about when all the time I’m trying to assure her that diabetes needn’t get in the way of her doing whatever she wants to do!

Is there any other forums we can try? Do you think xDrip developers might be able to help?

Is there a way for this forum to let u know if someone replies to a thread. Just checked back here on the off chance.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Reactions: Connie’s Dad

SB_777

Hi, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. I've been using FreeStyle Libre & MiaoMiao with xDrip+ to view my blood sugar readings and set vibration alerts for lows and highs on my Android phone.

I'm looking at moving to a smartwatch so I'm not tied to my phone all day.

I've been Googling for hours for answers - looking to clarify some things first;

1. The TicWatch E - is this a standalone collector? Or does it need to be paired with an Android phone?
2. Does the TicWatch E require a custom firmware patch first? (I don't see it listed on the GitHub page?)
3. Can you set up vibration alerts on the smartwatch for lows and highs?
4. Are there any other smartwatches that you would recommend? The TicWatch Pro? (looks a bit chunky)

Thanks in advance - SB.

Last edited:

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thing to just be wary of is that Libre 2 is on its way. This has Bluetooth so that the Libre Readers (will need a change if your running Libre 1) can have alarms set on it. The issue is that I believe the bluetooth is encrypted which means that AT the moment MiaoMiao and xDrip (or other 3rd party software) won't work with it. I also believe that the xDrip dev guys are working on this but I do not at the moment know where they are up to.

To clarify this, the changes have been identified in all but the US Libre 14-day sensor as of the beginning of April. The transmitter devices (e.g. Blucon and MiaoMiao) will need firmware updates to adopt these changes so it is worth holding off if anyone hasn't bought one yet with Libre 2 coming. It's now up to the manufacturers of these transmitters to work with the team that found these changes and implement them in their devices.

Practically from the moment of their appearance – an international team of programmers creating applications such as Spike, xDrip, Nightscout, closed loops in which I have the pleasure to participate from the beginning – began work on their decoding and enabling cooperation with those sensors.

The work ended in the last days (with the exception of the Libre US 14-day sensor, which is still underway). Fortunately, all problems with these new sensors have been solved. Unfortunately – it is necessary to replace the new, updated internal software in intermediary devices, i.e. in MiaoMiao, BluCon, GNSentry, my transmitters, etc. Some of them allow such updating by the user, others will have to be sent back to the manufacturers.

Source (Scroll down page for English translation)

Connie’s Dad

@porl69 and @Connie’s Dad plus anyone else watching this thread.

Was mooching around the xDrip site and don't know if any of you have come across this thread https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/840 but it is a discussion about watch not working and possible work arounds, I'm trying one out at the moment :)

Good luck.

It’s really frustrating as she was able to use the watch when she was swimming. Now she’s having to get out to scan! :-(

Hope we can find a fix!

Connie’s Dad

@porl69 and @Connie’s Dad plus anyone else watching this thread.

Was mooching around the xDrip site and don't know if any of you have come across this thread https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/840 but it is a discussion about watch not working and possible work arounds, I'm trying one out at the moment :)

What do they mean when they talk about builds? Is this just an old version of the xDrip app. Is what they are suggesting as easy as deleting current xDrip and reinstalling an older version?

I’m not totally up on the tech stuff.

Any help appreciated.

cheers

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do they mean when they talk about builds? Is this just an old version of the xDrip app. Is what they are suggesting as easy as deleting current xDrip and reinstalling an older version?

Each build is just a version of the app. There is a stable release and then the following test releases which are available are usually updated every day and referred to as 'nightlies'.

Uninstall the software off your phone and watch and reinstall, BUT beware that doing this will remove all your settings and data.

You don't have to uninstall/reinstall with xDrip. It's possible (unless something is seriously broken in the app) to simply install older and newer versions over the top of what you have running and I've done this before.

Connie’s Dad

Each build is just a version of the app. There is a stable release and then the following test releases which are available are usually updated every day and referred to as 'nightlies'.

You don't have to uninstall/reinstall with xDrip. It's possible (unless something is seriously broken in the app) to simply install older and newer versions over the top of what you have running and I've done this before.

I think I now have the 31.01.19 build on the android phone. How do I change the xDrip version on the ticwatch?

Reactions: porl69

Laois80

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum though I've been diabetic 8 years. I just got a miaomiao last week and have been unable to get it working. It worked for several hours the first night with xdrip, it even woke me up at 2am because I was going low and I thought it was great! But since then I've got nothing. I have installed and uninstalled the xdrip, glimp, tomato... been on countless forums and YouTube videos. I just cant seem to get it connected to anything now after a couple of hours with xdrip and a couple of minutes on glimp. I was thinking maybe its faulty but I've been reading a lot about Samsung's bluetooth not being compatible. I have an S8.
I have to say it is frustrating and disappointing, especially when others seem to have no problems! It makes me feel (slightly) better I'm not the only one.. untried sending an error report to the developer of glimp but even that isn't working.

SB_777

@Laois80

Hi Laois80, I had a similar problem when I removed the MiaoMiao from the Libre sensor to apply new stickers.

My solution was to disable the phone's Bluetooth, re-enable, then within Xdrip+ perform the Bluetooth scan again. MiaoMaio shoukd then appear in the menu. However this was on a Xiaomi phone not Samsung.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Connie’s Dad and @porl69

OK I have been running with this build from 31 Jan 209

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases/tag/2019.01.31

First night it would not play ball but then I went to the watch, went to the app settings and Enabled "Force Collector force phone to use wear collection services" then restarted the Collector on the Watch (hit the three buttons top left Start Collector I think is the Cloud icon)

This worked, went out for a walk and was way out of range of the phone and the watch worked.

Back inside and it did take about 5 - 10 minutes for the phone and watch to talk to each other.

Now I switched both phone and watch off last night.

This morning I switched the phone on and nothing would not connect to anything.

Went in to the setting and switched off the Watch App and it eventually sprung back in to life.

Switched the Watch on later, re-enable the Watch in the xDrip setting on the phone, and nothing would not work.

I then went into the setting on the phone and switched off the "Force Collector" option.

Since then it has remained working with he phone nearby and when out of range.

You might have to fiddle around with settings, "Force Collector On Phone" and the "Enable Collector" but at least mine is now working as I want.

Good luck.
Thank you Knikki for your time and effort on this issue. Believe me it is much appreciated

Connie’s Dad

@Connie’s Dad and @porl69

OK I have been running with this build from 31 Jan 209

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases/tag/2019.01.31

First night it would not play ball but then I went to the watch, went to the app settings and Enabled "Force Collector force phone to use wear collection services" then restarted the Collector on the Watch (hit the three buttons top left Start Collector I think is the Cloud icon)

This worked, went out for a walk and was way out of range of the phone and the watch worked.

Back inside and it did take about 5 - 10 minutes for the phone and watch to talk to each other.

Now I switched both phone and watch off last night.

This morning I switched the phone on and nothing would not connect to anything.

Went in to the setting and switched off the Watch App and it eventually sprung back in to life.

Switched the Watch on later, re-enable the Watch in the xDrip setting on the phone, and nothing would not work.

I then went into the setting on the phone and switched off the "Force Collector" option.

Since then it has remained working with he phone nearby and when out of range.

You might have to fiddle around with settings, "Force Collector On Phone" and the "Enable Collector" but at least mine is now working as I want.

Good luck.

@Knikki @porl69

Any joy with getting ticwatch to work as standalone?

Laois80

Thanks for your replies. I am going to keep listening to your suggestions and I am considering a ticwatch to bypass the Samsung. I was on a Facebook page which showed a few people with smart alarm clocks that connected to the miaomiao via xdrip so I'm going to research that as well. Night time is my main aim as I've had a few hairy nights of being LO and feeling nothing

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yes the watch is at the moment working standalone.

@Laois80 a smart alarm clock? Wow didn't now you you get one of those, good luck with your quest :)

Grrr mine stopped last night. Will go thru your walkthru again

Connie’s Dad

] 1) get Xdrip running on both the watch and phone with Force Collector unchecked
2) check Force Collector only on the watch. The phone should vibrate or sound with a notification
3) on the watch press the 3 vertical dots and select restart Collector
You should see a notification that it has started on the watch. If you don’t see this then it may only require step 4)
4)Go into Bluetooth on the watch tap show available devices and the miaomiao should show as available
Tap on it and “pairing” should flash up but then it will show as available again.
After this the watch should work standalone.
Monitor both for 10 minutes.
If the steps don’t work uncheck Force Collector, wait for the readings to come back on watch and phone, then repeat.
If you don’t see “pairing” briefly flash then it probably isn’t going to work.
You may have to turn off Android wear integration on the phone and do Bluetooth scan if you can’t get reading back at all even on the phone by itself.

Does this help?

Connie’s Dad

Sorry only just picked up on this as i don't seem to have got the Alert.

To be honest it works but can drop connection on more than regular basis, which is a pain. Seems there was an update to Samsung blue tooth sometime in March which is causing all the issues, have not been back on the xDrip forums recently to see if any progress has been made.

I’ve just managed to make it work over the weekend. When going via the watch updates are less frequent, 7-8 mins instead of usual 5 mins. But it seems to be working.

The problem is I try so many things to get it working I can’t say for definite what has made it work!

This time I did uninstall xDrip on watch, do an update from github on the phone, then reinstall on the watch.

A guy called David Potter on Facebook forum helped me a lot with this.

Reactions: porl69