1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Smart Watch

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Connie’s Dad, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MaherOlivia

MaherOlivia · Member

Thanks for the update. I fear the tech is beyond me ...

2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having a similar issue at the mo......stand alone works when it wants to work! Trying to figure out what is happening.....will keep you updated

• Like Like x 1
  3. Connie’s Dad

Connie’s Dad · Active Member

Glad (in some ways) it’s not just me!

It’s quite infuriating and hard to try things out as I need to have Connie close by and I don’t like fussing about when all the time I’m trying to assure her that diabetes needn’t get in the way of her doing whatever she wants to do!

Is there any other forums we can try? Do you think xDrip developers might be able to help?

Is there a way for this forum to let u know if someone replies to a thread. Just checked back here on the off chance.

4. porl69

• Like Like x 1
  5. SB_777

SB_777 · Member

Hi, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. I've been using FreeStyle Libre & MiaoMiao with xDrip+ to view my blood sugar readings and set vibration alerts for lows and highs on my Android phone.

I'm looking at moving to a smartwatch so I'm not tied to my phone all day.

I've been Googling for hours for answers - looking to clarify some things first;

1. The TicWatch E - is this a standalone collector? Or does it need to be paired with an Android phone?
    2. Does the TicWatch E require a custom firmware patch first? (I don't see it listed on the GitHub page?)
    3. Can you set up vibration alerts on the smartwatch for lows and highs?
    4. Are there any other smartwatches that you would recommend? The TicWatch Pro? (looks a bit chunky)

Thanks in advance - SB.

• Like Like x 1
    #25 SB_777, Apr 28, 2019 at 2:27 AM
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  6. SB_777

SB_777 · Member

@Knikki

Thanks for the information. I'm going to hold off on getting a smartwatch for now then until we see how things develop.

7. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To clarify this, the changes have been identified in all but the US Libre 14-day sensor as of the beginning of April. The transmitter devices (e.g. Blucon and MiaoMiao) will need firmware updates to adopt these changes so it is worth holding off if anyone hasn't bought one yet with Libre 2 coming. It's now up to the manufacturers of these transmitters to work with the team that found these changes and implement them in their devices.

Source (Scroll down page for English translation)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Connie’s Dad

Good luck.

It’s really frustrating as she was able to use the watch when she was swimming. Now she’s having to get out to scan! :-(

Hope we can find a fix!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Connie’s Dad

What do they mean when they talk about builds? Is this just an old version of the xDrip app. Is what they are suggesting as easy as deleting current xDrip and reinstalling an older version?

I’m not totally up on the tech stuff.

Any help appreciated.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Each build is just a version of the app. There is a stable release and then the following test releases which are available are usually updated every day and referred to as 'nightlies'.

You don't have to uninstall/reinstall with xDrip. It's possible (unless something is seriously broken in the app) to simply install older and newer versions over the top of what you have running and I've done this before.

11. Connie’s Dad

I think I now have the 31.01.19 build on the android phone. How do I change the xDrip version on the ticwatch?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Laois80

Laois80 · Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum though I've been diabetic 8 years. I just got a miaomiao last week and have been unable to get it working. It worked for several hours the first night with xdrip, it even woke me up at 2am because I was going low and I thought it was great! But since then I've got nothing. I have installed and uninstalled the xdrip, glimp, tomato... been on countless forums and YouTube videos. I just cant seem to get it connected to anything now after a couple of hours with xdrip and a couple of minutes on glimp. I was thinking maybe its faulty but I've been reading a lot about Samsung's bluetooth not being compatible. I have an S8.
    I have to say it is frustrating and disappointing, especially when others seem to have no problems! It makes me feel (slightly) better I'm not the only one.. untried sending an error report to the developer of glimp but even that isn't working.

13. SB_777

SB_777 · Member

@Laois80

Hi Laois80, I had a similar problem when I removed the MiaoMiao from the Libre sensor to apply new stickers.

My solution was to disable the phone's Bluetooth, re-enable, then within Xdrip+ perform the Bluetooth scan again. MiaoMaio shoukd then appear in the menu. However this was on a Xiaomi phone not Samsung.

14. porl69

Thank you Knikki for your time and effort on this issue. Believe me it is much appreciated

15. Connie’s Dad

@Knikki @porl69

Any joy with getting ticwatch to work as standalone?

16. Laois80

Laois80 · Newbie

Thanks for your replies. I am going to keep listening to your suggestions and I am considering a ticwatch to bypass the Samsung. I was on a Facebook page which showed a few people with smart alarm clocks that connected to the miaomiao via xdrip so I'm going to research that as well. Night time is my main aim as I've had a few hairy nights of being LO and feeling nothing

17. Connie’s Dad

@Knikki

Sorry to be a pain but how have you managed to get it working as standalone?

18. porl69

Grrr mine stopped last night. Will go thru your walkthru again

19. Connie’s Dad

] 1) get Xdrip running on both the watch and phone with Force Collector unchecked
    2) check Force Collector only on the watch. The phone should vibrate or sound with a notification
    3) on the watch press the 3 vertical dots and select restart Collector
    You should see a notification that it has started on the watch. If you don’t see this then it may only require step 4)
    4)Go into Bluetooth on the watch tap show available devices and the miaomiao should show as available
    Tap on it and “pairing” should flash up but then it will show as available again.
    After this the watch should work standalone.
    Monitor both for 10 minutes.
    If the steps don’t work uncheck Force Collector, wait for the readings to come back on watch and phone, then repeat.
    If you don’t see “pairing” briefly flash then it probably isn’t going to work.
    You may have to turn off Android wear integration on the phone and do Bluetooth scan if you can’t get reading back at all even on the phone by itself.

Does this help?

20. Connie’s Dad

I’ve just managed to make it work over the weekend. When going via the watch updates are less frequent, 7-8 mins instead of usual 5 mins. But it seems to be working.

The problem is I try so many things to get it working I can’t say for definite what has made it work!

This time I did uninstall xDrip on watch, do an update from github on the phone, then reinstall on the watch.

A guy called David Potter on Facebook forum helped me a lot with this.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook