Type 2 Binge

meJulie

Just had a binge after 6 weeks of Keto my weight loss is slow, feeling frustrated and as craving chocolate. ReAlly upset with myself as my bloods have come down great

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all, well done you on 6 weeks of keto! It's a big diet change and managing 6 weeks is a great start. Even if your weight loss is slow, it's still a loss! And the fact your blood sugars have come down is excellent progress. You should congratulate yourself on these little victories as it's a step in the right direction. So you've had a slip - you're only human, and I'm sure a lot of us have slips now and again. I know I do! The important thing is that you don't let it become a habit and get back on the horse (so to speak) again afterwards.

With regards to chocolate cravings - I find that a square (or two) of Lindt 90% every day or two really helps. Alternatively, I really like Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate, which is 4g carbs per stick sachet and feels really indulgent with a splash of double cream. I know a lot of people here will use cocoa instead as it's even lower in carbs, but if you're missing the sweetness of chocolate then I find this really helps now and again. I always keep a couple in my cupboard for when I need something sweeter than dark chocolate.

Don't beat yourself up too much, you're doing great. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time maybe try making a trifle with sugar free jelly, (raspberry is good set it with frozen raspberries or other frozen fruit) real custard with eggs, cream, vanilla, finely grated dark chocolate stirred into whipped cream and piped on top, and whilst it is cooling or setting make a cauliflower cheese - cauliflower, steamed, covered in cream cheese and grated cheese and melted in a warm oven.

meJulie

First of all, well done you on 6 weeks of keto! It's a big diet change and managing 6 weeks is a great start. Even if your weight loss is slow, it's still a loss! And the fact your blood sugars have come down is excellent progress. You should congratulate yourself on these little victories as it's a step in the right direction. So you've had a slip - you're only human, and I'm sure a lot of us have slips now and again. I know I do! The important thing is that you don't let it become a habit and get back on the horse (so to speak) again afterwards.

With regards to chocolate cravings - I find that a square (or two) of Lindt 90% every day or two really helps. Alternatively, I really like Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate, which is 4g carbs per stick sachet and feels really indulgent with a splash of double cream. I know a lot of people here will use cocoa instead as it's even lower in carbs, but if you're missing the sweetness of chocolate then I find this really helps now and again. I always keep a couple in my cupboard for when I need something sweeter than dark chocolate.

Don't beat yourself up too much, you're doing great. :)

T

meJulie

Next time maybe try making a trifle with sugar free jelly, (raspberry is good set it with frozen raspberries or other frozen fruit) real custard with eggs, cream, vanilla, finely grated dark chocolate stirred into whipped cream and piped on top, and whilst it is cooling or setting make a cauliflower cheese - cauliflower, steamed, covered in cream cheese and grated cheese and melted in a warm oven.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done with your 6 weeks of keto! I have only managed a few days at a time before lapsing.

The trick that seems to be working for me is to accept lapses will happen, and try to make their impact, and their psychological grip on me, less and less as time goes by.

Recently I started using artificial sweeteners to try to lessen the grip of my sugar addiction, bearing in mind that sweeteners might have an equal or even worse metabolic impact than sugar. Trying to find the lesser of two evils and a steadier path to health I suppose.

I did find that the number of lapses and the amount of sugar consumed over my danger time, a two week holiday, was reduced so I'm carrying on for now.

I second sugar free jelly, I have some with cream to stop a sugar craving. I also like keto mug cakes made with erythritol, Google that and you'll find a zillion recipes!

I am standing with you in sympathy and support but also in admiration - don't let a lapse rub out your feelings of success or control. While I still fear lapses and loss of control, I probably always will have to deal with them and I'm still happy with my progress.

You should be very proud of yourself!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the kind of person who does better saying 'never say never, but just not now'.

In other words, the moment I say 'Sniff! I will never taste xxxxxx food again!' I go into tragic mode, violinsolos in the background, and get an intense craving for that very food.

So I just say 'not NOW' and most of the time the desire for the food gets swept away by distractions.
If it doesn't, and I still want that food badly enough, then fine. I can have it.
- Is there a low carb version I can have? I am currently enjoying low carb profiteroles, which is something I never expected. They have nil blood glucose impact. So I can have them every day, if I want.
- if there isn't a LC equivalent, then the next step is to source it in a small portion. Half the time it is a disappointment. And then watch what my blood glucose and cravings do afterwards.
At that point I can make an informed decision about whether this is to be avoided in future, or enjoyed occasionally.

I do have a few foods that I don't intend to ever eat again, but that is usually because of food intolerances or the fact that they were a big disappointment, and simply a waste of time trying. Cake fits into that category. Would happily never tuck into another Victoria sponge for the rest of my life. Brownies on the other hand, I love. But they come in LC and gluten free varieties, so I can eat them if I want. Just not every day.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where did you get low carb profiteroles @Brunneria? Or are they home made? I'd love to try those.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get low carb profiteroles @Brunneria? Or are they home made? I'd love to try those.

Home made - very easy! :D
It is a Dr Almond bread mix. You just add water, eggs, beat it into a dough, shape and bake.
If you google Dr Almond you can find a whole list of their bread mixes.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Home made - very easy! :D
It is a Dr Almond bread mix. You just add water, eggs, beat it into a dough, shape and bake.
If you google Dr Almond you can find a whole list of their bread mixes.

Thanks! Off to Google I go...

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my goodness that's good - I'm not able to spend much time on experimenting with making things and although these are expensive it's worth it in time saved at the moment. Thank you, I think they might help OP too if in budget.

Reactions: Brunneria