Status
Not open for further replies.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Well I have to say it works for me too. Tot up the carbs, inject and know that provided I've not gone silly with the amounts of carbs then it doesn't matter what sort of carbs they are - I'll end up somewhere round where I want to. I don't inject more than 10 units at a time because it doesn't work so well as a policy if I do, but under 10 units - yep, it works for me.

My latest HbA1C was 36 with very few hypos, and last year's was 37. I have no eye problems, foot problems or any other diabetic complications. My only problems are drug connected because of side effects of the drug I take for another, unrelated condition.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wow no need to be so patronising.
Or why you’d find any of this “hilarious”.
I very rarely eat sugar but I like to have it as a treat now and again and my point was that just like anyone that isn’t diabetic, T1’s can eat sugar. As long as it’s part of a balanced diet it’s okay. If I eat sugar and my blood sugars are well within range - not spiking and not running high then I don’t see why I would “regret it”. I’ve had more than my fair share of complications from diabetes already which I can assure you are not “hilarious” and equally are nothing to do with eating sugar. Stress is the biggest thing that affects my diabetes which I cannot control.
This forum is supposed to help and support each other not be rudely condescending.
But okay... thanks for your input.
Please understand that experience counts for something - and as far as we know most if not all diabetes complications are related to accumulation of higher than normal BSLs over time - whatever the source of carbs. Yes stress adds to increase BSLs but is not the only source of BSLs as you know.
And ask yourself why are the owners of this website teaming up with some doctors to run a low carb program for T1Ds. ( following on the successful one for T2Ds) if there was not a good reason ?? Are you so sure your doctors are right ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Also it can be more difficult over time, over many years to keep BSLs in range without hypos.
I shall stick my head and say from my experience the higher the doses of inslin used the more the risk. When are higher doses needed ? I shall leave to ponder on that !!

Also putting on weight over and above what suits one's body with eating carbs is not something your docs may be happy with.

And perhaps your mum is being sensible in thinking what will future dental bills be like ? And who will pay them, or suffer by having to undergo the dental procedures!!

Of course HBA1Cs do not reflect the fact that hypos are happening except perhaps to bring the reading down a bit - but does this lower reading really reflect 'good control'?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please understand that experience counts for something - and as far as we know most if not all diabetes complications are related to accumulation of higher than normal BSLs over time - whatever the source of carbs. Yes stress adds to increase BSLs but is not the only source of BSLs as you know.
And ask yourself why are the owners of this website teaming up with some doctors to run a low carb program for T1Ds. ( following on the successful one for T2Ds) if there was not a good reason ?? Are you so sure your doctors are right ?

Kitedoc, as an employee of the company owning this website, I have to be absolutely clear here.

DCUK/diabetes.co.uk are committed to improving the lives of people with diabetes.

In terms of dietary approach; yes, DCUK/diabetes.co.uk have developed a Type 2 Low Carb Programme, and are in the final knockings before launching a Low Carb Programme, for those with Type 1 diabetes. Howver, it is very important to stress that DCUK/diabetes.co.uk supports whatever diet works for any given individual, irrespective of their dietary preferences, lifestyle choices and management regimes (lifestyle, oral meds, insulin - whatever).

DCUK/diabetes.co.uk believes a low carb approach has an important place in those choices, but until recently has not be robustly developed, or tested in any volume. The advent of the T2 Low Carb Programme finally brought data to the table in quantities, relating to individuals' diabetes outcomes and results, but for other peripheral issues and conditions too.

So, to reiterate, DCUK/diabetes.co.uk supports whatever approach works for any given individual.

It seems for today, @Emma_Fisher 's approach works for her. Should Emma decide some time in the future to explore a different approach, then DCUK/diabetes.co.uk will be here for her then. With luck the much awaited T1 Low Carb Programme will be launched by then!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

This is what Emma wrote in her opening post:

Hi everyone,
I’ve been told ever since I learnt to carb count that as a type 1 diabetic I AM allowed to eat sugar as long as I carb count and inject for it. That basically I can eat whatever I want, just like anyone without diabetes - of course within reason and as part of a balanced diet (but again that’s just like everyone should).
I’m in my 20’s now and my mum hasn’t been in control of my diabetes for over 10 years but she still constantly tells me I can’t eat any sugar and won’t accept that I can.
Can I please get some support from other T1 diabetics explaining that as long as I carb count and my HbA1c is good then it’s absolutely fine?!
Thanks!!

Nowhere in it did she ask to be lectured on dietary advice from older generations - in fact, it is pretty clear that is exactly what she wants rid of!

And clearly, there have been several posts from T1s who are able to carb count, have good HbA1cs, and do so with sugar in their diet.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Understood - but that it forgetting the work on low carbs diets in T1Ds in USA for example. My impression is that the OP is only recently done a course and so the diet is not yet establushed.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Everyone,

Nowhere in it did she ask to be lectured on dietary advice from older generations - in fact, it is pretty clear that is exactly what she she wants rid of!

And clearly, there have been several posts from T1s who are able to carb count, have good HbA1cs, and do so with sugar in their diet.
So you are saying experience does not count except to confirm someting ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you are saying experience does not count except to confirm someting ?
I am saying - quite clearly, I thought - that an older person lecturing a young person on what they should be eating is likely to be counter productive, especially when that young person came here because they were sick of being lectured on the same subject by their mother.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Understood - but that it forgetting the work on low carbs diets in T1Ds in USA for example. My impression is that the OP is only recently done a course and so the diet is not yet establushed.

Mine is that the poster has been diabetic for 17 years so knows what she is on about and her diet is well established and serving her well.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again @Emma_Fisher, Please don't be put off by the views of individual posters, I for one do not think that just because a person has 'experience' by virtue of age means that they are any better at making choices than a younger person, some are some aren't. All any of us can do is keep an open mind, make a choice and as long as that choice is keeping you healthy then well done. I know some posters can appear condescending and lecturing but mostly that is borne out of wanting to help. Each of our experience is very different and I for one think you are doing a GREAT job. x

Emma_Fisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also it can be more difficult over time, over many years to keep BSLs in range without hypos.
I shall stick my head and say from my experience the higher the doses of inslin used the more the risk. When are higher doses needed ? I shall leave to ponder on that !!

Also putting on weight over and above what suits one's body with eating carbs is not something your docs may be happy with.

And perhaps your mum is being sensible in thinking what will future dental bills be like ? And who will pay them, or suffer by having to undergo the dental procedures!!

Of course HBA1Cs do not reflect the fact that hypos are happening except perhaps to bring the reading down a bit - but does this lower reading really reflect 'good control'?

I’ve very recently recovered from anorexia so eating carbs is very much encouraged for me and something I’ve only recently been able to start doing again.

Reactions: Daphne917

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think this thread is dragging on, I thought I gave a good summary before.

To summarize:
Can type 1 diabetics eat sugar? Yes
Is it ideal? No
Is eating x amount of carbs the same regardless of the food? No, this depends on the glycemic index.

Emma_Fisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

Nowhere in it did she ask to be lectured on dietary advice from older generations - in fact, it is pretty clear that is exactly what she wants rid of!

Thank you!
Yeah I completely understand that different things work for different people but I was asking for support and to hear from people that like me do have some sugar in their diet and cope fine with it. The last thing I want is for people to lecture me or tell me I’m in the wrong when it’s different for everyone.
Thanks x

M

Member496333

Hi again @Emma_Fisher, Please don't be put off by the views of individual posters, I for one do not think that just because a person has 'experience' by virtue of age means that they are any better at making choices than a younger person, some are some aren't. All any of us can do is keep an open mind, make a choice and as long as that choice is keeping you healthy then well done. I know some posters can appear condescending and lecturing but mostly that is borne out of wanting to help. Each of our experience is very different and I for one think you are doing a GREAT job. x

I think perhaps the age/experience thing was more in relation to how the body changes over a period of decades. This is something that younger folk just don’t yet realise. Nothing to do with lecturing, or perceived wisdom from “the elders”. As you say, the motive as far as I can see from all people using these forums is to share their experiences and learn from those of others. In the end, if you ask questions about sugar on a diabetes forum, then you’re going to get answers.

For my own part, I apologise again for failing to adequately articulate my original message.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wow no need to be so patronising.
Or why you’d find any of this “hilarious”.
I very rarely eat sugar but I like to have it as a treat now and again and my point was that just like anyone that isn’t diabetic, T1’s can eat sugar. As long as it’s part of a balanced diet it’s okay. If I eat sugar and my blood sugars are well within range - not spiking and not running high then I don’t see why I would “regret it”. I’ve had more than my fair share of complications from diabetes already which I can assure you are not “hilarious” and equally are nothing to do with eating sugar. Stress is the biggest thing that affects my diabetes which I cannot control.
This forum is supposed to help and support each other not be rudely condescending.
But okay... thanks for your input.

Hi Emma, well done for holding your own, no one wants to be lectured about their medical condition and it's a sad state of affairs to see this on your thread, no need for it, especially when someone has a different type too.

Personally, if I ate 60 crabs of sweet stuff and 60 carbs of pasta, the pasta for me would be a better choice, as I would spike like mad with the sweets, then probably drop like a stone, so I have what I call a healthy, varied, balanced diet, I am not high carb and don't go low carb, whatever their number's are, I eat reduced/moderate carbs. I don't get it right all the time, but that's type 1 diabetes for ya :rolleyes: and I am not a number !
Whatever works for the individual must be respected, whether it be 30, 50, 100 or 200 carbs per day, if your BS is good, then that's the main thing.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_Fisher - A big, big well done on recovering from your anorexia. As someone who was badly anorexic eons ago, I know facing food is an enormous challenge, and I can absolutely understand why your medical team, supporting your recovery could particularly want you to eat "a bit of everything".

When I was diagnosed T2, I was terrified of having to re-restrict my diet, as I was very scared indeed I could end up back in that anorexic boat. I just had to keep reminding myself of something a psychiatrist had said to me about regressing back into it. He told me that every day forward was a day further from anorexia, and that as time passed, if I were to go towards what was effectively an addictive behaviour, I'd be more likely to become addicted to something else.

I'm still waiting for the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. :)

Whilst I got very thin when adjusting my diet, I haven't rediscovered anorexia.

Take it steady, and again, well done for moving your life forward from troubled times.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Emma_Fisher - A big, big well done on recovering from your anorexia. As someone who was badly anorexic eons ago, I know facing food is an enormous challenge, and I can absolutely understand why your medical team, supporting your recovery could particularly want you to eat "a bit of everything".

When I was diagnosed T2, I was terrified of having to re-restrict my diet, as I was very scared indeed I could end up back in that anorexic boat. I just had to keep reminding myself of something a psychiatrist had said to me about regressing back into it. He told me that every day forward was a day further from anorexia, and that as time passed, if I were to go towards what was effectively an addictive behaviour, I'd be more likely to become addicted to something else.

I'm still waiting for the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. :)

Whilst I got very thin when adjusting my diet, I haven't rediscovered anorexia.

Take it steady, and again, well done for moving your life forward from troubled times.

A bit TMI :wideyed: o_O :shy: lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!
Yeah I completely understand that different things work for different people but I was asking for support and to hear from people that like me do have some sugar in their diet and cope fine with it. The last thing I want is for people to lecture me or tell me I’m in the wrong when it’s different for everyone.
Thanks x

@Emma_Fisher '

There will always need to be a little sugar in the diet when handling insulin. ;)

You have my best wishes with moving forward, & regards to things turning out well with your mum's views.

D

Deleted Account

@Emma_Fisher thank you for starting this thread.
As you can see, your mother is not alone with her view but it is controversial.
Hopefully, what the responses have shown you is clearly the majority view amongst people with type 1 diabetes, is you can eat sugar but, just like people without diabetes, it is possible to eat too much (which I am certain is not what you are asking).

There are some amazing, helpful people on this forum and, especially with type 1, some of them have decades of very relevant experience. Over those decades, messages have changed and technology has been introduced. With 15 years of type 1, I am a relative new comer but I still struggle to keep up with all the information. My intension to try to keep up with it for the next 30 or more years ... but, sometimes, I doubt I will be alone when I forget the advantages of the latest tech when managing diabetes

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Think this thread is dragging on, I thought I gave a good summary before.

To summarize:
Can type 1 diabetics eat sugar? Yes
Is it ideal? No
Is eating x amount of carbs the same regardless of the food? No, this depends on the glycemic index.

Sorry Munees, but the 'glycemic index' is a far too general concept, based on statistics… and stats means percentages. E.g., white rice has a high 'glycemic index' for perhaps 80% of us, but it actually has a very low 'glycemic index for me and for many people who happen to assimilate rice very slowly. Even if we are a minority, we do exist. So don't rely on glycemic index: rely on your meter, your brain, your experience. There's no easier nor a more automatic way to know.
T1s actually have to discover/learn/remember how each food impacts on their BG, but that's different for every individual.
That's why Emma should be free to manage her condition: because she knows better than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.