The hurdles that diabetes has put me through

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning Diabuddies! how are you?

A bit of an update from my last two posts:
Since Tresiba, I don't know if it has improved my situation or not. I am struggling to stand on my own two feet because it's me against the world at the moment.
I had an exam on tuesday 7th and 3 essay submissions on wednesday 8th may, I attended my exam but I missed my essay submission, prior to that I was told it was a resit and wasn't allowed to have an extension. This has sadden me because I am trying, I am tanking my diabetes and living life like a zombie. My exam was awful, I hypoed during the exam and almost fell asleep. I haven't slept properly at all, I've been staying up to try and finish my essays and inject Tresiba early because I run high at around early noon.
I am trying to submit my essays because I really want to finish my degree and say yay I did it. I have picked out my third year modules and I'm excited about it. Not so much excited about facing my fears again.
In regards to hypos, I am still having them in spite of carb counting, stress, hormones and not sleeping. You could say i'm a hot mess.
My question is: Do I keep trying in spite of my failing health? my university has given me a lot of opportunities to finish and each time I fail because of hypos and suffering some form of C-PTSD. There isn't anything out there left for me if I don't finish my degree. A side note, I am seeing my DSN in June and consultant in July. Which is a long period of time for someone who desperately needs attention and help. Also I am waiting for therapy at the moment. I am extremely tired, I just want to sleep and read my books - I ordered books prior to this mess and I haven't been able to read them.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MeiChanski I know you're probably feeling great pressure at the moment, exams are stressful and as we know stress is a nightmare for type 1's. So going to do the mum bit now... I know you're not getting enough sleep but are you eating properly, getting outdoors and getting fresh air and in general taking care of yourself ? Getting fresh air is good for clearing the head and relieving stress.

With the mum bit over, the best advice I can offer is to stick with it, it's a tiny part of your life but will have the most impact (again no pressure !) but if you can find your way round this and remember there will be an end to it all. It would be awful to look back in time to come and have regrets about a decision you make now so if you can keep on then speak to your Uni, explain what's going on, it won't be the first time they've had someone in this position and if they can offer you any more flexibility then take it.

Also sending you a big hug, you will get through this :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @MeiChanski what a horrid time you are having at the moment.

In your situation I would be phoning my DSN straight away as June is too far away and you are needing help now.
You CAN do this
And another virtual ((HUG))

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @MeiChanski, like the others, I think you should push to complete your degree. Have you got local medical support? Could you ask your local GP to write to the relevant Uni authority that governs extensions and allocates exam marks? If you show the GP your blood sugar results over the exam period and explain your T1 difficulties, with evidence wherever possible, over the past academic years, then you may be given more leeway.
And try to get some sleep. Your brain really won’t function very well if you don’t have enough sleep! Ask the GP if there’s something, like an antihistamine concoction, that’ll relax you without knocking you out?
Hug.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @MeiChanski I know you're probably feeling great pressure at the moment, exams are stressful and as we know stress is a nightmare for type 1's. So going to do the mum bit now... I know you're not getting enough sleep but are you eating properly, getting outdoors and getting fresh air and in general taking care of yourself ? Getting fresh air is good for clearing the head and relieving stress.

With the mum bit over, the best advice I can offer is to stick with it, it's a tiny part of your life but will have the most impact (again no pressure !) but if you can find your way round this and remember there will be an end to it all. It would be awful to look back in time to come and have regrets about a decision you make now so if you can keep on then speak to your Uni, explain what's going on, it won't be the first time they've had someone in this position and if they can offer you any more flexibility then take it.

Absolutely right. In the late 70's at King's College London, I had many Type 1 problems, not least several treatments for retinopathy. I went to the Dean who helped me, as did King's College Hospital, get in touch with the council who awarded my grant. As a result I was given a year out and eventually successfully achieved my goal. I would suggest @MeiChanski should do something similar and wish her every success, both in her studies and in her control of diabetes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Some universities have on site medical centres and you may be able to use their servicesto obtain some form of medical certificate. I admit that they cannot backdate a medical certificate for thetime you had a hypo in an exam but may be able to write something about your struggles with diabetes conteol from your bsl recoreds. For yourvtroubles with the recent exams you may have to somw form of statutory declaration stating what hapeened. I am not a lawyers but have heD the stat decs are a big deal with legal consequences if false, but it may be the inly way to help retrieve something out of the situation.
I imagine the Uni administration can help with theses processes.
I mentioned in an earlier post that hi crabsiets have pluses and minuses. Your exam experience may prompt you to reconsider what diabetic regime is best, ovviously this would need to wait until you se your DSNand doctor, if you think that discussion is necesary or not.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @MeiChanski Sounds like your having a rough time :(

June is a long way off, is there no one else DSN or others you can ask?

There is another group around called JDRF and here is a link https://jdrf.org.uk/get-involved/ they appear to run social groups for people with Diabetes, I have never used them so no idea if they are any good or not, but it might be worth a look to see if there are any other T1's around your area. Problem shared is a problem halved so they say :)

Considering how far you have got with your degree it would be a shame to not complete it, but saying that I'm not in your shoes so I don't know.

Take care HUG!

Hello!I think we could come to an agreement that NHS is overstretched and overworked. From the phone discussion in April, they didn't have any spare appointments to see me, hence June. It is indeed a shame if I ragequit now, but for them for reconsider my essays after the deadline is another story. Thank you, at some point I did want to join JDRF for like charity
work, I'll have another nose on their website.

Hello, I am eating fine and doing the diabetes routine okay, but just a hermit stuck indoors to get something on paper to hand in. I think the fresh air I got was travelling to university, going out for a short moment for food and seeing my parents for a brief moment. Thank you, I could try and contact university student adviser/admissions/wellbeing on monday, but whether they will reconsider my essay submission for a later date is another story.

Hi @MeiChanski what a horrid time you are having at the moment.

In your situation I would be phoning my DSN straight away as June is too far away and you are needing help now.
You CAN do this
And another virtual ((HUG))
Hello Thank you, It's quite depressing when I have planned a month in advance for essay submission and exam resit. My boyfriend said "you're killing yourself for this degree" when I was drowning myself with tears and 10 articles opened to gather some information for the essays. I fear NHS is always overworked and overstretched, chances are quite slim to get my diabetes team to hear me out? I have a list for monday is to contact the team about this essay submissions and DSN.
Hi @MeiChanski, like the others, I think you should push to complete your degree. Have you got local medical support? Could you ask your local GP to write to the relevant Uni authority that governs extensions and allocates exam marks? If you show the GP your blood sugar results over the exam period and explain your T1 difficulties, with evidence wherever possible, over the past academic years, then you may be given more leeway.
And try to get some sleep. Your brain really won’t function very well if you don’t have enough sleep! Ask the GP if there’s something, like an antihistamine concoction, that’ll relax you without knocking you out?
Hug.
Hello, I fear it is a tricky one, If I were on campus, the medical centre there will write a letter to university no problem in regards to my essay problem. I do have arrangements set in for exams and essay extensions usually, but because it is a resit apparently it is a bit different. I will have to fight tooth and nail on monday to get anyone to listen to me. GP's have always been a bit reluctant to prescribe anything for sleep because of my hypo situation. But i'll ask. Thank you :) I had a "nap" so I'll have to finish my essays and break this horrible cycle.

Some universities have on site medical centres and you may be able to use their servicesto obtain some form of medical certificate. I admit that they cannot backdate a medical certificate for thetime you had a hypo in an exam but may be able to write something about your struggles with diabetes conteol from your bsl recoreds. For yourvtroubles with the recent exams you may have to somw form of statutory declaration stating what hapeened. I am not a lawyers but have heD the stat decs are a big deal with legal consequences if false, but it may be the inly way to help retrieve something out of the situation.
I imagine the Uni administration can help with theses processes.
I mentioned in an earlier post that hi crabsiets have pluses and minuses. Your exam experience may prompt you to reconsider what diabetic regime is best, ovviously this would need to wait until you se your DSNand doctor, if you think that discussion is necesary or not.
Hello, I am not on campus and I had a prescription situation with the medical centre there because I wasn't registered in the same CCG/area. But when I was there, the GPs would write a letter no problem in regards to my situation. I do have arrangements set for my diabetes for exams and extensions. Unfortunately I am resitting a year and trying to hand work in, I was told a day before submission (the day of my exam) that extensions cannot be applied because I have a lot of time to do it. Which is fair to an extent, however because I was away from university, I had to work and do other things other than doing essay work. I agree, again it is a bit of a wait for someone like me who desperately needs help. it's like a balancing act - my diabetes has to be in acceptable control for me to proceed on with my degree. Arguably same for work, having children, etc and my mental health has to be good as well in order to rethink rationally. At the moment my control is questionable, mental health is crashing and my university is pressuring me. My GP has offered therapy - okay I accepted it, but my health isn't good in spite of it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely right. In the late 70's at King's College London, I had many Type 1 problems, not least several treatments for retinopathy. I went to the Dean who helped me, as did King's College Hospital, get in touch with the council who awarded my grant. As a result I was given a year out and eventually successfully achieved my goal. I would suggest @MeiChanski should do something similar and wish her every success, both in her studies and in her control of diabetes.
Hello I haven't spoke to the Dean at my university for my course, I have been in contact with student advisery, well being, student union and administration. They only know the extent of my situation, whether they will reconsider me after the deadline is another question. I will see what I can do on monday. But thank you :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided not to do any essay work tonight. For the sake of my own sanity, I'll get some rest and resume tomorrow. I pray that my hard work won't go to waste and my university will at least consider my late submission.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I still think you will need medical certification to be able to argue yiur case to the Dean ir whiever.
Given that Uni students attending Uni during term will often be out of the ' home area' there has to be arrangements built into the NHS to deal with this.
Can you ring the DSN for advice about your diabetes? Over the phine contact is better than none at all.
Stress knocks diabetes control side-ways - a plan to deal with this is what you need regarding insulin and diet particularly.
And of course counselling. Best Wishes.:):):)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still think you will need medical certification to be able to argue yiur case to the Dean ir whiever.
Given that Uni students attending Uni during term will often be out of the ' home area' there has to be arrangements built into the NHS to deal with this.
Can you ring the DSN for advice about your diabetes? Over the phine contact is better than none at all.
Stress knocks diabetes control side-ways - a plan to deal with this is what you need regarding insulin and diet particularly.
And of course counselling. Best Wishes.:):):)
Thank you, it does make sense and yes I have a to-do list for monday. :)