Baked Tofu Bites

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Making these to go with lunch:

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/baked-tofu-bites/

We're having them with some pepperoni seitan (not much, just enough for a real flavour kick) plus salad and raw veg. I've done fried crunchy tofu before but this is entirely baked. The recipe is adjustable for quantities - there's a little box and you can increase or decrease the number of servings. You can also choose Imperial or metric measurements. One serving uses 175g of tofu which is rather a lot but I guess it depends on appetite.

Per serving - Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 5.4% | Iron: 13.7%

Reactions: Shas3

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I made a full batch. They shrink down in the baking, but I ate half of them with some seitan pepperoni and raw salad & veg. They were gorgeous. It was the marinade/coating that did it - I'll be making that for seitan steaks on Wednesday.

The coating had engevita and garlic powder in it (along with olive oil and soy sauce) - a quite magical combination that I hadn't previously thought of. I'm now thinking of chucking a little garlic salt in with some engevita flakes to use sprinkled on my tomatoes and other foods I would normally pop a little salt on.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

One thing - they're tasty but not crunchy. I'm going to try doing crunchy bites by using the coating with tofu but fried. Usually I use cornflour/olive oil for crunchy but I don't see why the baked tofu coating wouldn't work just as well.

I'll eat up the ones I made yesterday at lunch, but make some crunchy ones for Monday's lunch when I get home from the office.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to try them! Never heard of engevita but the recipe says nutritional yeast flakes, and those seem to be sold in my local supermarket. Would that be the right stuff, you think?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'm going to try them! Never heard of engevita but the recipe says nutritional yeast flakes, and those seem to be sold in my local supermarket. Would that be the right stuff, you think?

Yes, it is nutritional yeast flakes. Engevita is a trade name, and is the one on sale in a lot of my local shops. The flakes have an amazingly savoury smell and taste, and are stuffed with the B vitamins. I sprinkle them on a lot of foods, and they are an ingredient in the tender seitan and pepperoni seitan that I make.

Be sure you're using firm or extra firm tofu, not silken. Silken is great in desserts and stuff where you want it to stir in, not so good if you need the tofu to be in pieces.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is nutritional yeast flakes. Engevita is a trade name, and is the one on sale in a lot of my local shops. The flakes have an amazingly savoury smell and taste, and are stuffed with the B vitamins. I sprinkle them on a lot of foods, and they are an ingredient in the tender seitan and pepperoni seitan that I make.

Be sure you're using firm or extra firm tofu, not silken. Silken is great in desserts and stuff where you want it to stir in, not so good if you need the tofu to be in pieces.
Thanks, back from the supermarket and got everything I need (and never used before :p)
They had 2 different kinds of tofu, plain and smoked, so I bought a small block of both. Both are quite firm blocks so I guess that's good :)
The cat went crazy when smelling the yeast flakes so I gave him some and he absolutely loves it. Now I have to hide them.

Do I leave the tofu with sauce for a couple of hours or bake them right away?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I just coated and baked. If you were using it as marinade you'd leave it for a few hours, but you don't really need to here.

Incidentally, the yeast flakes will be good for your cat!

If you follow the recipe at the link you'll be fine. I cut my tofu rather than broke it but it's personal choice. I cut mine into pieces less than 2cm cubed but not as small as 1cm cubed. (Although I did it all by eye - I'm not that picky lol)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, burned my tongue!
They are absolutely delicious! They're done but I'll leave them in the oven just a little longer for some more crispy edges :hungry:

Reactions: jjraak and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Antje77 I am so glad! You could use the coating/marinade as an actual marinade for meat (I can't remember if you eat it) if you liked. I find marinades really add to a meal, and quite often I'll use the remains of a marinade in a sauce to go with the actual meal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, I like meat especially with a good marinade! I think it would be wonderful with the sheeps meat I'll hopefully get from my neighbour, as the 2 rams he had demolishing/trimming my garden (and occasionally visiting my kitchen or bathroom) have moved to freezer camp. And yes, I always use my marinades in my food as well :)

I think it would be very tasty to prepare mushrooms exactly the way as the tofu too!

And as the tofu in sauce tasted very good before the oven as well it could be used as a dipping sauce :)

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I only see now I'm in the vegetarian part of the forum, I hope the meat part in my last reply doesn't offend anyone. I'll remove if offensive, with apologies.

Reactions: Serena51 and jjraak

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'm sure it will be let stand - I know you meant no offence, and weren't posting to rejoice in flesh food :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried tossing cubes in a spicy rub and then frying in coconut oil until properly crispy? Wonderful sprinkled on a stir fry :)

Reactions: Arab Horse

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77
Just a small (and somewhat off topic) comment about your cat liking the nutritional yeast flakes.
-he/she may be deficient in B vits, and that is why he/she went mad for them.
I have been told that adding dried powdered Brewer's yeast to pet food will supplement their diet while simultaneously making their blood unattractive to fleas.
Your cat may just lose interest in the flakes when/if they have had enough of them to redress their deficiency.
https://www.peta.org/living/animal-companions/natural-pet-remedies-flea-tick-control/

End of derailment :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a small (and somewhat off topic) comment about your cat liking the nutritional yeast flakes.
-he/she may be deficient in B vits, and that is why he/she went mad for them.
I don't think it's very likely for him to have deficiencies, as he supplements his diet by fresh mice, rat and bird meat, including their stomachs, plus whatever he steals from the kitchen top, and there's a lot to find there :p
But as he loves the flakes he'll get some of them every once in a while :)

Reactions: Arab Horse

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Have you tried tossing cubes in a spicy rub and then frying in coconut oil until properly crispy? Wonderful sprinkled on a stir fry :)

Yeah - sometimes the baked would be easier though because I can walk away for half an hour. Frying I feel compelled to hang around and poke at the cubes....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Neighbour has been smoking fish today so I prepared a still hot, smoked mackerel for lunch. The cat tried to tell me he has a dangerously severe mackerel deficiency. What do you think, @Brunneria ?

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They sound fantastic. I must give them a go. @WuTwo can I ask what tofu you usually use?
I can get hold of the Cauldron one most easily, but I find I have to press it forever to get it to anything like a firm texture.

Any recommendations for good brands to look for?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Made this exact recipe with mushrooms today instead of tofu and can recommend! Tasted just as good as I imagined :)