antibiotics do they affect blood sugars

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Ive just been put on antibiotics, Flucloxacillin. Just wondering what to expect . Will these affect my BG > Its been a bit funny recently but I think it might be my cut leg . Doctor thinks it may be getting infected >Anyone taken these before ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just been put on antibiotics, Flucloxacillin. Just wondering what to expect . Will these affect my BG > Its been a bit funny recently but I think it might be my cut leg . Doctor thinks it may be getting infected >Anyone taken these before ?

I've taken them Peadair, and was fine.

I would speculate if your leg is becoming infected, that could be meddling with your blood sugar levels. Even, if for whatever reason, you bloods do blip up a bit, please don't stop the antibiotics. It's important the course is finished. It's only a few days usually?

I detest taking antibiotics as they usually upset my tummy a bit. Please make sure you stay well hydrated, and consider taking onboard live yoghurt, to help prop up the firendly gut bacteria that can be affected by the antibiotics.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would speculate if your leg is becoming infeted, that could be meddling with your blood sugar levels.

This. Infections are a common cause of raised blood sugars, so the antibiotics will be a cure, not a cause. @Peadair O Brionn , I hope you feel better soon.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
This. Infections are a common cause of raised blood sugars, so the antibiotics will be a cure, not a cause. @Peadair O Brionn , I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for the reply bud . Im starting them this morning . hopefully they kick in and this leg will heal abit better ,got 7 day course and a load of benecol ...Onwards and upwards . Or downwards on the bg . looool

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: porl69