Travelling to the USA / travel insurance

Becca6510

Hi guys!

I’m going to the big apple in November! Super excited! Just wondering what America’s customs and security’s are like with diabetic supplies, whenever i fly or go abroad they never ask me anything but I know how strict they are.
Will my travel insurance be ridiculously high? Had some kidney issues of late and a little concerned it’s going to be hundreds to insure me! Which I cannot afford!

Just looking for some past experiences

Becca
xo

D

Deleted Account

Wow - I am excited for you!

I travel to the US (Philly and Boston) regularly for work and never had any problems with diabetes supplies.
I have an insulin pump (your profile is blank so I don't know if you have one) . It is only the pump which makes the security guys aware I have diabetes. I always politely but firmly mention it cannot go in the body scanner. They are cool with this and do not pressurise me to do so (unlike in the UK). But there is usually a wait for them to find someone to do the manual pat down. And they will NOT touch the pump at all,
So, unless you have a pump, I wouldn't expect any questions about your diabetes.

As I travel for work, they pay for my travel insurance so I cannot comment on the cost. I would just highly recommend you get insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. It may seem expensive but it will be much much much more expensive if you are not insured.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi guys!

Will my travel insurance be ridiculously high? Had some kidney issues of late and a little concerned it’s going to be hundreds to insure me! Which I cannot afford!

Just looking for some past experiences

Becca

I'll be blunt ... you pay the insurance or stay at home. If you don't, it will financially cripple you.

Talk to your travel agent and MAKE SURE you get a complete policy before anything else.

Reactions: Becca6510

Becca6510

Wow - I am excited for you!

I travel to the US (Philly and Boston) regularly for work and never had any problems with diabetes supplies.
I have an insulin pump (your profile is blank so I don't know if you have one) . It is only the pump which makes the security guys aware I have diabetes. I always politely but firmly mention it cannot go in the body scanner. They are cool with this and do not pressurise me to do so (unlike in the UK). But there is usually a wait for them to find someone to do the manual pat down. And they will NOT touch the pump at all,
So, unless you have a pump, I wouldn't expect any questions about your diabetes.

As I travel for work, they pay for my travel insurance so I cannot comment on the cost. I would just highly recommend you get insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. It may seem expensive but it will be much much much more expensive if you are not insured.

I’m actually in the process of getting a pump! Thinking of going with omnipod. I didn’t realise you can’t go in the scanners with them on!! Glad you mentioned that, I normally get a letter from my gp just in case.

Yes I would never ever travel without insurance just a little concerned of the cost

D

Deleted Account

I’m actually in the process of getting a pump! Thinking of going with omnipod. I didn’t realise you can’t go in the scanners with them on!!
Just to clarify this - you can go through the archway with a pump but you cannot go through the body scanner (the box where you stand with your hands above your head).
At least, that is the advice from the manufacturers. There have been discussions on the forum that the warning is only because the manufacturers have not tested this and it will be fine. However, as it is the piece of equipment that keeps me alive, I am not willing to go against the manufacturer's advice. And most airports accept this. It just means you may need a little more time through security.

Reactions: Becca6510

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have travel insurance through both my bank policy and my wife's. Neither put any restriction or loading with my being insulin dependent and that's with a worldwide policy. So look around and you may be able to avoid any excess premium. My wife's Nationwide Flexplus policy is very tolerant of medical conditions with only a small extra payment for multiple conditions. There may be others.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sitting in a GP surgery we always put our heads in our hands when a travel insurance claim comes in. Most of the time the patient will have forgotten to tell them something and you just know the claim will be refused. I recently renewed family annual insurance for USA - I have a lot of conditions and DH has been hospitalised in last 3 years £662 for 3 of us. However I declare hayefever, UTIs. Everything. Once I didn't for mild asthma - a script and doctors visit was £300 and that was 15 years ago...