Was on the waiting list for a full by-pass. Now recovering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wishing you the very best with your op, and will be following your progress as you post. I'm very similar to you, having been up to 135 kilos, now down a bit from there, but I haven't had to contend with insulin injections. Insulin makes us hungry, so your achievement is all the more amazing for that and you are a great inspiration. Good luck!
If you are losing weight, I admire you too. It's very very difficult when health problems work against us losing weight.
Getting our own insulin working properly is the starting post.
I was using a supplement called R-ala for that. It is good but I've postponed its use til after my healing from op.
I highly recommend it. It got my thyroid function performing much better too.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm insulin resistant and currently using low carb with intermittent fasting (Edit: plus three meds) It is successful for me where other methods have failed, but it's slower than I'd like because I keep lapsing. Even so, I can feel and see the difference in my health so I am going to stick with it.

About 20 months ago at 135 kilos I was referred after much hoop-jumping to weight management services, before I started lc/if. They were actually great in the sense that they listened and didn't try to tell me what to do - it helped a lot as a kind of counselling service I suppose.

Bariatric surgery was on the table provided I lost 10% of my bodyweight and attended some group sessions. I felt at that time that I had exhausted all other avenues and was desperate to save my life.

A medication I was started on about a year ago (trulicity) was extremely helpful for me - it reduced my insatiable appetite just enough to give me my hope back - wms were delighted and told me to own it regardless of what caused it.

Skip to the last few months and now I'm losing weight a little quicker and steadier on lchf/if and wms have put me on 6 weeks instead of monthly appointments. Surgery is not yet off the table, but as long as the equation wms + trulicity + lchf/if is working I hope to avoid it.

That was a really, really long way of saying I really do understand a lot of what you're going through mentally as well as physically, and I think it's only that I'm not yet an insulin dependent T2 that I'm not prepping for surgery now too.

I will be following your posts and I'm really interested in how our two journeys compare - here's to success and happy futures for us both!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@ickihun So glad you're finally getting somewhere, all the best of luck from me to you!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ickihun, I think I speak for most of us when I say you have been an inspiration on this forum. You have had to face quite a few health issues but not once have you ever felt sorry for yourself, you have just got on with it whilst simultaneously responding on this forum and helping others. I know that you MUST have been going through a right old battle privately but you keep on fighting! Thank you for all of your time and I hope your Op goes well! All the best. x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I cant see when you op date is?

Wishing you the very best x
Have date. It's 12th of June.
At last. I've been either starving or eating normally and even had a holiday in-between.
If I could have gone private I wouldn't have more health problems. I look like I've had a stroke these days.
Wait loss hasn't helped with back/pelvis pain so far. In fact I have trapped nerve in my neck too now. My typing has gone altogether. My supporting right arm for crutch is less helpful. I've nearly fallen twice this week. Slow isn't the word.
I just want my life back!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun, I think I speak for most of us when I say you have been an inspiration on this forum. You have had to face quite a few health issues but not once have you ever felt sorry for yourself, you have just got on with it whilst simultaneously responding on this forum and helping others. I know that you MUST have been going through a right old battle privately but you keep on fighting! Thank you for all of your time and I hope your Op goes well! All the best. x
Thank you @KK123 :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great that you have a date now. Here’s hoping things vastly improve for you once it’s done and you get home.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great that you have a date now. Here’s hoping things vastly improve for you once it’s done and you get home.
Thanks @Diakat :)
A journey maybe full of swopped health conditions but more manageable ones. If I can lose the IBS then I can return to Metformin treatment which has been sooo effective til the second baby was harvested.
I will be refusing Dapagliflozin until they resolve the thrush side effect. Not a practical med for me. Tablets will be welcomed to stop the injections. May still have to use injected basal. Unless huge weight loss can reduce its need dramatically. I'm currently needing 98units of triple strength Toujeo300. If I can half or more I'll be happy..... Initially.
If I can half my body weight it will be more than a success.... for me.

I'm excited as to where I will be in 12mths time. Any positive will be hugely welcomed. :) :) :)

Reactions: Diakat

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing you all the very best @ickihun, so glad its not long to go now. You are and have been very brave and patient while suffering so many set backs and with a young family too. All best wishes, let us know how you get on.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@ickihun My very, very best wishes for a successful operation and a speedy recovery. Big hug.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, @ickihun , at last. You have had such a long wait.
My understanding is that you will have to have a very restricted diet from now until the op date.
Best of luck with it all, and please keep us informed about how you are doing. Although, of course, your family will be your priority. Will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun glad that you’ve finally got a date for your op - not too long to wait now. At least you’ll have the summer to recover.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping that everything in the Pre op, surgery and recovery goes exactly according to plan and you can achieve your goals starting very soon.

Reactions: Diakat

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs heading your way and warm wishes for the operation which has been so long awaited. Hope that the next few weeks whizz by and your operation has the best possible outcomes for you - but it’s tough and you do need to take care of yourself wishing you all the best before, during and afterwards.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun glad that you’ve finally got a date for your op - not too long to wait now. At least you’ll have the summer to recover.
I was worried about a sick winter. No worry now. In fact I should be a few stones lighter. A refreshing change. I'm ill every winter now. So looking forward to a lighter body. Less fat building insulin too. Although I've found I can lose weight as long as I'm on enough insulin, (for my body weight).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wishing you all the very best @ickihun, so glad its not long to go now. You are and have been very brave and patient while suffering so many set backs and with a young family too. All best wishes, let us know how you get on.
Will do @PenguinMum. Wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for my partner doing school runs. Mother and sisters have ran away scared. They do that, everytime. It's their way. So I just get on without them. I've had too.
I don't mind as I've done all my adventuring alone. With help from fantastic friends and supporters.
I know what you are all worth. Your support is priceless. I'm doing this so I can support you all better too.
Thank you. :)