Was on the waiting list for a full by-pass. Now recovering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I want to celebrate my weight loss to date which has eventually achieved the NHS target, for me to be on the waiting list for a Roux en y operation (which will support my weight loss efforts even more).

At my heaviest and on correct insulin for my morbibly obese body I was 136kgs. Now sitting at 125-126kgs.

I have done it my way (low carb), dieticians way (bariatric and diabetes) and been influenced by the forum and its members varied views.

For my family who need me the most I had decided 3yrs ago that a full by-pass would help me stay alive and for longer (maybe). I was extremely ill and needed hospitalizing every winter. I knew I was skirting death.

I am much lighter and as a result I am not choking to death from the weight and a common cold pressing on my enlarged chest.
That few stones of weight loss has helped with the severity of that but not as close to miles apart as I'd like.

My operation and further weight loss should do that.
I'm now realising that maybe my meds will be replaced rather than reduced but we'll see. Obviously far less serious meds though. Which medics will appreciate more.

I'd love to one day come here and revise this post to say I'm med free. For all my health conditions... but diabetic insulin injections will be a fine start.
Here's to very low units of insulin, if any and far less tablets to take. Cheers!

Reactions: Jay_Loftus

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so happy for you, @ickihun. I know you've been fighting for this for a long time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will help you come off insulin and maybe all other medication too.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun well done on your achievement - I’m so pleased that you are finally within ‘striking distance’. Good luck with the op.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well done and wishing you all the very best:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldvatr

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I feel the hoops I've had to jump was achieved quickly except for my body not keeping weight off in Metformin's absence recently. My weight loss was before their education but all readded once told it was a fad diet and had to be lost their way.

Only once I started Dapagliflozin in Metformin absence with a 800cals diet under supervision since being on large insulin units... I've smashed my revised weight loss target.

I'm desperate for a healthier body size.
If I lose diabetes too I will be heavily celebrating. (Not with alcohol or food though). ;)

Thankyou for your regards.
I will be keeping the forum posted as the upcoming expected weight loss and other benefits kick in.
I'm hoping I will be amazed how much my diet has been affecting my health.
The most obvious is hunger levels I've been experiencing on the 800cals or lchf. I'm so looking forward to less impeded weight loss. Less insulin and far less hunger.
It really cannot come sooner.
I'm hoping to feel liberated.

This huge body of mine is too heavy for me to burden any longer. When I was younger I used to pride myself in the knowledge I could lift/carry more than even some bodybuilding guys.
I just cannot any longer.
I'm admitting, I'm getting older. My needs from my body have changed too. I just need longevity so I can see my grandchildren.
Diabetes dragged along.... or not.

Reactions: Oldvatr
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel the hoops I've had to jump was achieved quickly except for my body not keeping weight off in Metformin's absence recently. My weight loss was before their education but all readded once told it was a fad diet and had to be lost their way.

Only once I started Dapagliflozin in Metformin absence with a 800cals diet under supervision since being on large insulin units... I've smashed my revised weight loss target.

I'm desperate for a healthier body size.
If I lose diabetes too I will be heavily celebrating. (Not with alcohol or food though). ;)

Thankyou for your regards.
I will be keeping the forum posted as the upcoming expected weight loss and other benefits kick in.
I'm hoping I will be amazed how much my diet has been affecting my health.
The most obvious is hunger levels I've been experiencing on the 800cals or lchf. I'm so looking forward to less impeded weight loss. Less insulin and far less hunger.
It really cannot come sooner.
I'm hoping to feel liberated.

This huge body of mine is too heavy for me to burden any longer. When I was younger I used to pride myself in the knowledge I could lift/carry more than even some bodybuilding guys.
I just cannot any longer.
I'm admitting, I'm getting older. My needs from my body have changed too. I just need longevity so I can see my grandchildren.
Diabetes dragged along.... or not.

So inspiring @ickihun. When I see my children, all grown up now, it's wonderful and seeing my newest grand child today, watching her antics and playing peek a boo, she melts my heart and like you I want to see her grow up too, longevity, here we come ps she's 10 months old, Hope you have had a lovely Mother's Day :)

Reactions: zand

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Keep battling, keep fighting, you are doing great @ickihun!

Hope everything goes well for you!

Best wishes

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Let us know when your date is. Hope all goes well.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun its been such a long journey but you are nearly there. You deserve Admiration for your perseverence and patience. All best wishes to you and Happy Mothers Day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your achievements so far, and wishing you all the best with your op and recovery from it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done on your achievements so far, and wishing you all the best with your op and recovery from it.
Thanks @Bluetit1802. I know my new fight begins soon but I'm definitely ready to get my diabetes reversed or out of the uncontrolled status in my medical history.
I won't rest til I'm similiar to my before insulin in pregnancy status....at least.
My aim is around the 15st mark for weight loss, from my op. Eventually I want less going into old age and after menopause. Menopause is going to be interesting.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I really hope everything works out well for you and your family.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I cant see when you op date is?

Wishing you the very best x
Just on waiting list, now. Will get a date as I get closer to end of 18wk wait. It has same risk as any op to be cancelled, even last minute.
It should be before July.
I've been bag ready for over a year.

Looking forward to the voluntary education day.
Just need some new silicon ice cubes trays.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Let us know when your date is. Hope all goes well.
Will do @Diakat.
I have the liver shrinking diet to do before op so once I'm instructed to do that I will have a clearer op date.

If I'd known the time involved I'm not sure I would have agreed to the process. So unnaturally laborious and not free flowing. It needs tweeking if it's to encourage a method to solving the huge obesity problem. Diabetics are only a minority on the programme I'm on but rumoured for that to change.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am so happy for you, @ickihun. I know you've been fighting for this for a long time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will help you come off insulin and maybe all other medication too.
Thanks @ziggy_w .
I'm a no nonsense person so this journey so far has been so painfully slow and at times depressing. I'm used to the heavy bussle of London but relocated due to financial restraints. I hope local people find the process more in keeping with their lifestyle. I cannot even say those who have changed their lifestyle have complained about their process and its schedule.
Of course doing this privately would have given a hugely different schedule.
The nhs are finding many are readding their lost weight.
I can honestly say I'm ready for this new phase in my life and was planned after children but I hadn't bargained for an operation. The op will support my efforts. I will use it to good effect.
I'm hoping with the op I can achieve so much more and quicker. Allowing for many more phases in my life but less worry about death by obesity.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wishing you the very best with your op, and will be following your progress as you post. I'm very similar to you, having been up to 135 kilos, now down a bit from there, but I haven't had to contend with insulin injections. Insulin makes us hungry, so your achievement is all the more amazing for that and you are a great inspiration. Good luck!