Protein powders spike blood sugar ?

dNZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Since I have started ketogenic diet I don’t have any problem with controlling my blood sugar. I also do jogging everyday for about 30 mins as well as some light weight lifting. But I ended up losing some muscle mass. Apparently I don’t get enough protein so I thought I might get help from protein powder shakes . My biggest concern is that those powders have any effect on spiking my blood sugar level ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would always advise food over powders and shakes.
Eat more protein rather than drink it. Otherwise you'll just have to experiment and test. Might be worth completing your profile info too so we know what Type you are and any medication.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You'll just have to try a low as possible carb one, you can get a whey protein isolate which are usually extremely low carb (Less then a gram of carbs per serve) high protein. And you can get whey protein concentrates that have just a few carbs per serve, but less protein, but that's not a problem imo.

Avoid anything called a mass gainer, those in general are full of sugar. As usual, read the labels, see what's in them before you buy if you go the powder route. Then it's a case of test and see how it impacts.

You don't have to follow directions and use a full serve scoop.... when I use it, I tend to use a lot less if having a decent meal. I might have 10g if the meal lacks the amount of protein I want. And you don't imo need to follow directions on how many times a day you use it. In other words, use your best judgement. I find directions are aimed at getting you to re-order more asap by having you drink a lot of it.

Protein shakes can be good if you are on the go.

Or you can eat more eggs, meats, nuts and cheeses etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @bulkbiker especially what he says about completing your profile to show type of diabetes, treatment, and medication. Without this information you may find you receifve inappropriate advice. You will need to sign in on your browser to do this. You can't do it from the app.

dNZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would always advise food over powders and shakes.
Eat more protein rather than drink it. Otherwise you'll just have to experiment and test. Might be worth completing your profile info too so we know what Type you are and any medication.

Ahh sorry for my info Iam on it...
type 2 diea
You'll just have to try a low as possible carb one, you can get a whey protein isolate which are usually extremely low carb (Less then a gram of carbs per serve) high protein. And you can get whey protein concentrates that have just a few carbs per serve, but less protein, but that's not a problem imo.

Avoid anything called a mass gainer, those in general are full of sugar. As usual, read the labels, see what's in them before you buy if you go the powder route. Then it's a case of test and see how it impacts.

You don't have to follow directions and use a full serve scoop.... when I use it, I tend to use a lot less if having a decent meal. I might have 10g if the meal lacks the amount of protein I want. And you don't imo need to follow directions on how many times a day you use it. In other words, use your best judgement. I find directions are aimed at getting you to re-order more asap by having you drink a lot of it.

Protein shakes can be good if you are on the go.

Or you can eat more eggs, meats, nuts and cheeses etc.

Thanks I will try it also I read mixing the powder with coconut oil also helps . I eat a lot of eggs I am afraid I develop egg allergy :)