Teenager hormones

Kim142

good evening

I just wondered if any parents of teenager girls had started their periods late and worried that this is down to being diabetic? My daughter is 14 and has had diabetes for 10 years and hasn’t started her periods yet not that it’s a bad thing but she doesn’t feel the same as her friends and it’s starting to worry her.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine didn't start til I was about 16, dunno whether it was cos of incredible bad control (that was back in the dark-ages when I was still on pre-set amounts of insulin twice a day) or whether I was just pre-destined to start late or not. Personally I was happy it didn't start til later :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Kim142 can you remember how old you were when yours started? Simply because there is often a genetic link in age. The other thing to perhaps consider is her weight, is she underweight as that can delay. If she is worried take her to the gp.

Kim142

Mine didn't start til I was about 16, dunno whether it was cos of incredible bad control (that was back in the dark-ages when I was still on pre-set amounts of insulin twice a day) or whether I was just pre-destined to start late or not. Personally I was happy it didn't start til later :)
Thank you x x

Kim142

@Kim142 can you remember how old you were when yours started? Simply because there is often a genetic link in age. The other thing to perhaps consider is her weight, is she underweight as that can delay. If she is worried take her to the gp.
I was 12 just started secondary school when i started mine, we e had episodes of stomach cramps and we’ve been to the go but nothing has come of it. Just wanted an opinion of some with diabetes

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually have heard that diabetes correlates with a later and heavier period. I started mine late but I was diagnosed at 15 so pretty sure it had an effect on growth.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
good evening

I just wondered if any parents of teenager girls had started their periods late and worried that this is down to being diabetic? My daughter is 14 and has had diabetes for 10 years and hasn’t started her periods yet not that it’s a bad thing but she doesn’t feel the same as her friends and it’s starting to worry her.
Hi @Kim142 and welcome to the forum. The only reason I am writing is that my voice broke (very embarrassingly) when I was just 16! I have always blamed Type 1 for this, and I wonder whether a study will ever be done to verify some link. Obviously a difficult area since diabetic teenagers understandably don't usually want to discuss diabetes, let alone answer embarrassing questions about puberty. I think this thread so far is very telling. I hope your daughter doesn't let this get to her.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing