Prediabetes Is anyone following a diet that isn’t low carb?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Mollyc1995 was following a more high carb diet and a few of our other members that keep it under 100g but not full on keto like some of us. I know there's some before that have done some popular slimming diets that were relatively high carb.
Hi, I do have a higher carb diet compared to most on here....I’m 23 and was diagnosed in March...for the last 5 weeks my blood sugar has been in normal range, ususally between 4 and 5.5 mmol fasting, and never usually go over a 7.1 after eating.
I probably eat between 130-180 grams of carbs per day, sometimes maybe a little more or less.
I follow slimming world, but I do watch my carbs still, I won’t have a load of carbs in one go, I can eat a cup of rice with dinner and my blood sugar only rises to a 6.5. I havnt cut out all carbs and sugar in my diet, I have a little chocolate if I fancy it, aslong as my blood sugar is in range before I eat it.

I am thinking of trying the new castle diet as I’m fascinated about the fat in the organs, that if we can get rid of that diabetes can be reversed, so I want to try it and see if I gain more insulin sensitivity.

I always eat to my meter, I check my blood regularly.

You have to do what works for you, also Instagram is great to follow people with t2 and their diets and also nutritionist.

M

Member496333

How do you know this?

Well, when you put it like that, I don’t. Let’s call it an opinion. I will say though that it’s an opinion based on tireless research into insulin resistance, every day, day in day out, for two and a half years. It’s still an opinion, but when one considers where I was, where I am now, and with a HOMA-IR score of 0.3, I would humbly suggest that I am at least partially informed on all things related to insulin resistance. You are of course free to disagree if you wish :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1spuds

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Indeed, and often this is directly correlated to the level of insulin resistance. Assuming a persistent dietary path over the course of several years, which I imagine is fairly commonplace, the longer the patient goes undiagnosed, the greater their resistance becomes and the harder it is to reverse. Insulin resistance takes decades or even an entire lifetime to develop, and anyone thinking they can reverse serious cases with half-measures in anything less than the same amount of time is going to be disappointed.

Agreed, I think it's a bit like a lot of things in life, you get back what you put into it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So in recognising levels of “severity” of dietary control for T2 diabetics it is interesting to consider how the various health care providers up and down the country might tackle it on a patient by patient basis. Flexibility would need to be integral to their advice depending on the needs of the uninformed and newly diagnosed patient. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out if and when low carbing as a solution permeates thoroughly through the various practices, the length and breadth of the country.

Reactions: 1spuds

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am firmly of the view that whatever way of eating you choose to control your Diabetes you MUST test with a meter. You could have a wonderfully low HBA1c result every 3 months but it wont highlight the spikes in your BG on any given day. I think I am right in saying It is the spikes that cause the damage to our bodies, they may not be obvious now but can affect you at a later stage. If I was the Health Secretary I would offer meter and strips to anyone diagnosed and explain the significance.

Reactions: Goonergal and Hooty

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am sure there are many people here who follow many other ways of controlling their diabetes other than low carb As this forum is rather bias towards low carb people are more loath to say they do something else for fear of criticism. Myself I have no idea what a keto diet is I just cut out the starchy carbs except the occasional slice of toast and two or three new potatoes sometimes and all sugar stuff. I am 80 now and I think my life is to short to worry about having to many carbs or complications

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well I am sure there are many people here who follow many other ways of controlling their diabetes other than low carb As this forum is rather bias towards low carb people are more loath to say they do something else for fear of criticism. Myself I have no idea what a keto diet is I just cut out the starchy carbs except the occasional slice of toast and two or three new potatoes sometimes and all sugar stuff. I am 80 now and I think my life is to short to worry about having to many carbs or complications
Would you say the same thing wrt life being too short etc to someone diagnosed in their 40s? Their 30s?

I am 60 and I hope to reach 80 without complications, to do this I have chosen LCHF/Keto lifestyle. If that makes me bias... then colour me so.

Edited typo.

M

Member496333

Maybe before your time Jim but it has happened here and at least one member left because she was so upset at what had been said to her

That is a shame. Though in the end, if there’s a bias here toward low-carb/keto it’s because it works, and those for whom it has worked like to try to help others.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you say the same thing wrt life being too short etc to someone diagnosed in their 40s? Their 30s?
Of course I wouldn't they would have years of having diabetes and would need to be a lot more careful with their diet than me. The OP asked if anyone did not do a low carb diet and most of us including me have said we do it in varying degrees some very low some much higher

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a shame. Though in the end, if there’s a bias here toward low-carb/keto it’s because it works, and those for whom it has worked like to try to help others.
Yes but there is a difference between giving good advice and actually being nasty to someone about it which is not acceptable

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe before your time Jim but it has happened here and at least one member left because she was so upset at what had been said to her
I know I can at times be brutally frank when someone is doing something harmful.I get frustrated when I see someone actively hurting themselves.I will say something once,maybe twice,then I let it go.If they dont want to learn,dont want to educate themselves I cant make them.It is their choice when its said and done.

Im glad most folks want to improve themselves,the ones that want to argue using antique 'science' to defend their position and bad health outcomes,AND refuse to research....time to vacate that thread for me.Just going to make us both angry.Rather how I feel regarding ADA and AHA,the worst diet advice on the planet IMO.Yes,I have a huge bias on that.

I like that high carb can work for some,that vegan works for some (Something i REALLY cant grasp).If it works,that is great! Sure not going to criticize their working choices.

As for low carb/high fat for a T2 person eating the stereotypical 'normal' diet.... I think thats great first advice for any newbie because the chance of success is so high.Its so easy to follow.Most of us start diabetes completely clueless,it gives them something to get started with.Empowers them.They usually see quick,positive results.

A positive start for a very scared person,then adjust to what works for them as they progress,I like that approach.Yeah,i have a heavy bias for that.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to eat more carbs (between 100-130g) than many here but I still occasionally test to check my BS. However I know what I can, and shouldn’t eat, eg I can eat a slice of high protein bread, small amounts of potato or reheated pasta with no noticeable rise but Scampi is my nemesis and still increases my BS by 3-4 so I tend to steer clear of it but test occasionally to see it my tolerance has improved! We are all individuals and everyone finds a way of eating that suits them and their blood sugars.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Before we take a further detour into different ways of promoting Low Carb (or not), I would like to remind everyone that the original post on this thread was to ask if there was anyone out there successfully managing their T2 without going low carb.

It wasn’t about protein management, or about people eating low carb (less than 130g carbs a day), or testing, or age of diagnosis, or people not posting for fear of criticism. Those are all off topic detours.

As far as I can see, only @Caeseji , @1spuds (first post) and @Mollyc1995 have actually addressed the OP’s enquiry.
Edited to add and @Daphne917 who posted as I did :)

From memory, I think @Fenn manages his T2 higher than 130g carbs (with insulin).
Hopefully others will be along soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooty and Daphne917

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Nah I eat low carb mostly sorry, just does not work for me like it once did, as far as I know its the only way to get low sugars but I respect peoples decision not to eat like this, it is very restrictive and has become boring as ell, unfortunately I dont need to eat at all to have high sugars hehe

I believe that if I didnt eat low or less carbs I would be injecting loads of insulin, as it is, my doses are pretty low, without it though my sugars are high even eating minimal carbs.

Reactions: Brunneria

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Fenn.
Sorry I mis-remembered! :)
Not at all :) its because I fight against the evangelical approach, it makes me sounds anti, understandable I am misunderstood, I also rub people up the wrong way so just lurk without posting mostly :)