Does anyone know? Hotel chocolat Rare and Vintage 80% Ecuador supermilk pure...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the website it says it only has 7.1g carbs per 100g so my boyfriend bought me some for Easter but looking at the wrapper it says 27.6g carbs per 100g. Ive emailed Hotel chocolat asking which one is correct but ive heard their customer service is shocking so thought id ask here to see if anyone knows
Tia :)

Reactions: 1spuds

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 Hotel Chocolat high percentage cocoa chocolate really varies in its carb content so you need to be careful. Since there’s such a discrepancy between the website and the wrapper (I don’t trust third party apps like fat secret as you have no idea who has input the information) could you use the ingredients list to take a guess at which is closest to the truth?

Is sugar listed, and if so, where on the list?

From my experience, I suspect that as this is supermilk, the higher carb content might be more accurate.

You could try going into a branch to check and swapping for another 80% chocolate.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 Hotel Chocolat high percentage cocoa chocolate really varies in its carb content so you need to be careful. Since there’s such a discrepancy between the website and the wrapper (I don’t trust third party apps like fat secret as you have no idea who has input the information) could you use the ingredients list to take a guess at which is closest to the truth?

Is sugar listed, and if so, where on the list?

From my experience, I suspect that as this is supermilk, the higher carb content might be more accurate.

You could try going into a branch to check and swapping for another 80% chocolate.
Thank you. Good advice. I'll have a look at the ingredients list first

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 just looked at the website. No sugar listed in ingredients on the website. Maybe it’s good news? Does the ingredients list on the packaging match that on the website?

Reactions: Starfish18

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had a similar issue with some 100% batons - practically carb free on the website, over 20% on the wrapper. From what I could work out, I'm pretty sure the wrapper version is total carbs, and includes the fibre in error - the total came to the same as carbs+fibre on the website. So I did an experiment and ate some without insulin to see what effect it had (I'm type one with CGM) and it had zero effect on my levels. So I was happy to go with the lower carb figure!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a similar issue with some 100% batons - practically carb free on the website, over 20% on the wrapper. From what I could work out, I'm pretty sure the wrapper version is total carbs, and includes the fibre in error - the total came to the same as carbs+fibre on the website. So I did an experiment and ate some without insulin to see what effect it had (I'm type one with CGM) and it had zero effect on my levels. So I was happy to go with the lower carb figure!

Yeah, when in doubt I eat (a controlled portion) and test to see what it does to my body.
Have had some delightful surprises that way, including the stunning revelation that I can eat snickers bars (the small ones) with insignificant bg impact, but mars bars have an impressive impact. Must be the nuts in the snickers, I suppose. Slower release, and fibre.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the website it says it only has 7.1g carbs per 100g so my boyfriend bought me some for Easter but looking at the wrapper it says 27.6g carbs per 100g. Ive emailed Hotel chocolat asking which one is correct but ive heard their customer service is shocking so thought id ask here to see if anyone knows
Tia :)
Even Montezuma's 100% cocoa choc has 8g of carbs per 100g so its pretty unlikely that any other chocolate will have fewer carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience there are very few dark chocolates that have little added sugar and Hotel Chocolat has quite a bit. I go for Green & Blacks 85% Dark. They did re-formulate it a year or so back and it now tastes sweeter (groan) but the carb level is still in the low 20s%

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered this Tesco’s own brand 85% cocoa chocolate and it’s 22g carbs per 100g which seems pretty low in comparison to many. It’s not too bitter in taste, and also well-priced at £1 for a 100g bar, though oddly it’s £1.25 in our local Tesco’s!? https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300794902
I want to try this one though I've got lots of chocolate to be going at atm :D

Reactions: 1spuds

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Hooty

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hooty

@Starfish18

The lowest carb 85% I’ve come across is the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference at 16.8g/100g. It comes in a pack of 5 x 25g bars for around £1.45.

The one sold in Aldi - Moser Roth - is also 5 x 25g bars and although slightly higher carb at 18.4g/100g, tastes much less sweet, smoother and more mellow.

Reactions: Starfish18 and HSSS

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did get an email from hotel chocolat confirming that the chocolate is in fact 27.6g of carbs per 100g. They did say they would correct their website but unfortunately they are still to do so and this was from a few weeks ago! :bored:

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The 100% stuff has disappeared from our Waitrose :mad::(

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hooty

@Starfish18

The lowest carb 85% I’ve come across is the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference at 16.8g/100g. It comes in a pack of 5 x 25g bars for around £1.45.

The one sold in Aldi - Moser Roth - is also 5 x 25g bars and although slightly higher carb at 18.4g/100g, tastes much less sweet, smoother and more mellow.
The Aldi one is the one I love and I agree that it is less sweet and more mellow. I especially like the price. I usually have half a 25g bar a day - it is my special treat.

Reactions: Goonergal