Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
All the tests I had done were under the supervision of my endocrinologist, by a staff sister or equivalent nurse, in a hospital, who was within communication at all times. GPs do not have the necessary skills for this sort of testing.
I would not worry about the tests as they are used for diagnostic tests, which do give so much detail for the endocrinologist to recognise the next step in diagnosis.
Despite my first eOGTT, as a first for my endocrinologist and sister and the subsequent issues with it, the next few tests, were really good and managed well at the end of the tests.
I think it is more worrying, if not given these tests.

Keep asking, best wishes

Hi Lamont D, I'm seeing my GP in a couple of weeks and wonder whether to ask for a test.
What is eOGTT?
and, Hba1c ?
and which should I ask for ?

LouisSunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I loose my vision in the low 5’s and get hypo warning signs in the low 4’s. I have type 2 with RH no medication. They say that’s in the normal range?

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I loose my vision in the low 5’s and get hypo warning signs in the low 4’s. I have type 2 with RH no medication. They say that’s in the normal range?

Hi LouisSunny, this sounds awful, how long have you been losing your vision? Have you been assessed by an opthamologist? I don't know how you are able to work, fortunately I'm retired and just can't imagine trying to cope with working life. I have double vision since January which is worse when my BG levels increase but my eyes become very tight and heavy when BG is low. I'm really struggling at the moment to balance my diet sufficiently to stop the visual problems. I've reduced my carbs to a very small amount with a few days so far of no carbs. Do you find the diet helps with your vision?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lamont D, I'm seeing my GP in a couple of weeks and wonder whether to ask for a test.
What is eOGTT?
and, Hba1c ?
and which should I ask for ?

A Hba1c is a test that is part of a full blood panel test.
This is usually the first part of diagnosis, to see your overall blood sugar levels for the past three months, if it is consistently over the diabetic levels, that is the doctors go to test for type two diabetes. But it can be used for proof of normal blood glucose levels.

An eOGTT is an extended oral glucose tolerance test.
This is used to diagnose Hypoglycaemia, also, other conditions related to insulin resistance, insulin response and pancreatic conditions. It is a diagnostic tool to record spikes and lows.
In my case, the test recorded, my double spike, my quick spikes and then my drop into Hypoglycaemia.
This is different from a two hour oral glucose tolerance test.

You will get a more scientific knowledge from Google and the home pages of this forum.

Take your food diary and explain to your GP and tell him you are experiencing hypoglycaemic episodes, symptoms and feeling dreadful after certain foods.
Your GP should recommend tests, but still ask for a referral to an experienced endocrinologist.

Hope it goes well for you.

Best wishes

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
After not being able to have sugar since being born and being ill for over 50 years they have actually found out that I have reactive hypoglycemia.. They have always tested me for diabetes as my mum is diabetic. I feel really let down by doctors and hospitals as I have always had to avoid foods that make me ill. I have only been diagnosed for a few months I could really do with some info.

I find this VERY confusing, especially when it all boils down to the fact that your BRAIN needs sugar to function and then your brain runs every other function in your body. On top of this, ALL carbs eventually become sugar because that's how chemistry, digestion, human bodies work(s). Are you going to live on fats and protein and the odd vegetable?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find this VERY confusing, especially when it all boils down to the fact that your BRAIN needs sugar to function and then your brain runs every other function in your body. On top of this, ALL carbs eventually become sugar because that's how chemistry, digestion, human bodies work(s). Are you going to live on fats and protein and the odd vegetable?

Fats, protein and lower carb vegetables is a good description of the ketogenic diet, and many of the RHers and type 2 diabetics here on the forum manage their conditions extremely well by sticking to ketogenic diets. Of course, it is never obligatory, but many of us feel better (best) when we eat keto, so we choose it deliberately.

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
Fats, protein and lower carb vegetables is a good description of the ketogenic diet, and many of the RHers and type 2 diabetics here on the forum manage their conditions extremely well by sticking to ketogenic diets. Of course, it is never obligatory, but many of us feel better (best) when we eat keto, so we choose it deliberately.

the sad fact is because the keto diet is so limited in variety, very few people can keep it up for a long time. then again, if it makes you feel better than you would eating carbs, I guess it's what you have to do. wishing you luck with this in any event, I know I couldn't do it though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the sad fact is because the keto diet is so limited in variety, very few people can keep it up for a long time. then again, if it makes you feel better than you would eating carbs, I guess it's what you have to do. wishing you luck with this in any event, I know I couldn't do it though.

:)
You will find huge numbers of members here on the forum who don’t think that keto is at all ‘sad’. Or limited.
Have a read around.
There are many of us who do so well on keto that we wouldn’t want to return to higher carb eating, even if it wouldn’t negatively impact our health. The numerous success stories speak for themselves.

Reactions: KarenTh

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't know what is limited with foods such as a big juicy steak, strawberries and cream, brunch of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, 97% sausage, a wide variety of salad foods and veggies, cheese, chicken, salmon, lamb, pork, turkey, fish and sea food.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will try and explain, why a ketogenic lifestyle is better for me.
Yes, you do need glucose for brain function, but how much?
Apparently, for me, I get enough not eating carbs!
I have read and experienced why using ketones instead of glucose derived from carbs, has always kept me healthy in brain function and body health than before diagnosis. When I'm in ketosis, my body works better, I don't get hungry, I have great energy levels and I do feel healthier fasting.
It is now over five years since diagnosis, and my health is excellent. I have spent most of that time in or just above ketosis.
It all depends on how your body has adapted to which ever lifestyle you thrive on.
I have been told that my dietary intake is very much ill advised from my doctors, dietician and GPs, dsns and until I showed my endocrinologist my food diary and the great effect of my lifestyle, he has reluctantly agreed that, it has worked incredibly well. Oh by the way, I have lost nearly six stone in the first year after diagnosis. I'm maintaining a healthy body weight since.
I would recommend a low carb lifestyle to anyone who is having symptoms because of high glucose levels and those, who like me have too much insulin after carbs.

Hope that helps

Charlies96

If you wish to ask questions or are interested in asking anything pertaining to hypoglycaemia, diabetic or non diabetic. Ask here.
I have recently been diagnosed with RH and my appointment for the diatocian isn’t for few weeks and diabetic appointment next month my hypos are getting out of hand when I had glucose tolerance test they dropped to 2.7 and I felt awful . Will I get glucose meter to check my glucose levels ? What wil the appointment be for next as I want to get to the bottom of it all isit long lasting like forever I’m 22 years of age and normally fit and healthy

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing I've learned from my experience of Hypoglycaemia is that doctors know very little about how to treat the condition and symptoms.
And more importantly, what is healthy, for those like me, it is definitely not!

Using your blood glucose monitor is all trial and error, you have to be regimented in using it as a tool. Start a food diary and log what you eat, portion size, pre meal test, one hour after, two hours after, and after at three and four hours.
The only other time I would use your glucometer is to find out what your blood sugar levels are, if you feel awful.
You will learn a lot from keeping a food diary. Your blood sugar readings will tell you what foods are spiking you too high, which doesn't, how much of certain foods you can tolerate, and see how well you are doing.
There is a sticky about recording blood sugar levels at the top of the forum page.

Best wishes
@Lamont D , Winnie53 and Brunneria,
Thank you for your advice on diet and the glucometer. Within days of beginning to monitor my own BG levels I realised that I couldn't handle carbs without going hypo. I stopped the carbs and my blood sugar has become stable. Fasting BG is usually about 5.3 now and this feels good. I have lost a few pounds (though I wasn't overweight) and my blood pressure has reduced to a more healthy level. I don't usually feel hungry between 3 meals a day and seem to have more energy than before. All this is fantastic for me after years of fearful eating followed by unexpected hypos (which I failed to understand). I have read a lot on this site about the keto diet but haven't experienced anything negative. Could you explain at what times you would get flu like symptoms or liver dump?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D , Winnie53 and Brunneria,
Thank you for your advice on diet and the glucometer. Within days of beginning to monitor my own BG levels I realised that I couldn't handle carbs without going hypo. I stopped the carbs and my blood sugar has become stable. Fasting BG is usually about 5.3 now and this feels good. I have lost a few pounds (though I wasn't overweight) and my blood pressure has reduced to a more healthy level. I don't usually feel hungry between 3 meals a day and seem to have more energy than before. All this is fantastic for me after years of fearful eating followed by unexpected hypos (which I failed to understand). I have read a lot on this site about the keto diet but haven't experienced anything negative. Could you explain at what times you would get flu like symptoms or liver dump?

Wow!
@Miss.T. Morning, how brilliant for you!
You are one of the lucky ones, that has not got the symptoms of carb flu.
I got through mine, after a couple of days fasting.
I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, but it does seem that reducing carbs and better energy levels is helping you feel better sooner than you expected.
Keep up the good work. Keep testing. Keep your blood sugar levels in normal levels.
Unless you succumb to temptation, you probably won't get the symptoms of carb flu, and unless you do more than just good exercise for you, you won't get a liver dump.

I would still read up and get as much knowledge about being in ketosis and learn all you can about staying in normal levels. Your food diary is so important at this stage, after a couple of weeks in Keto, you can start to find out which foods you are intolerant to, you will find some surprises along with the usual suspects.
For me it was spuds!
Then complex carbs!
Then grains like oats, supposedly healthy carbs, recommended by every health care advocates, such as GPs, dsns, dieticians, and every diet you can think of.
Enjoy your new found healthy lifestyle.

Best wishes

Ruthbcn

Good afternoon
It is the first time I write. I found this forum by chance and I'm happy about it. I think it will help me a lot.
I am a 41 year old woman and I was diagnosed with RH three years ago. since then my life is hell. every two hours I have hypoglycemia that I solve eating. I've realized that when I do it with carbohydrates it's even worse. I feel weak, I have headaches, dizziness, etc and I need to lose 10kg. I do not know what to eat or what to do to improve my life and that of those around me.
I take Metformin.
I hope your advice can help me.
I'm from Spain, I hope you forgive me for my bad English ...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good afternoon
It is the first time I write. I found this forum by chance and I'm happy about it. I think it will help me a lot.
I am a 41 year old woman and I was diagnosed with RH three years ago. since then my life is hell. every two hours I have hypoglycemia that I solve eating. I've realized that when I do it with carbohydrates it's even worse. I feel weak, I have headaches, dizziness, etc and I need to lose 10kg. I do not know what to eat or what to do to improve my life and that of those around me.
I take Metformin.
I hope your advice can help me.
I'm from Spain, I hope you forgive me for my bad English ...
Hi, @Ruthbcn and welcome to our forum.
Your English is really good, Buenos Dias!

Can you give me any examples of the tests you have had for diagnosis of RH?

Have you been advised how to treat RH?

Have you any other conditions?

I would like to think that you have already started to read the forum threads about what RH is and why we have hypos and with all those awful symptoms.
There is so much information, without giving you a long reply.
But, I think the first thing you have to understand is this condition is controllable.
It's not easy and will require an understanding of a different lifestyle.
This means a change in what you eat and drink.

Start by reading the threads, because RH is so individual and I'm sure that you have plenty of questions.
My best wishes

Ruthbcn

Hi @Lamont D !
thank you very much for answering. the endocrinologist did several tests. a CT scan to rule out thyroid or insulinomas. Analytics to see different things and beta cedulas. the dissociated hemoglobin test for 4 hours seeing glucose and insulin. I did hypoglycemia at 2 hours, after which my body recovered a bit.
I advised liraglutide for a year and it went terribly wrong.
then Acarbosa and also bad. and now I'm with Metformin and he told me to reduce the sugars and carbohydrates.
the cause is hyperinsulinism. My pancreas creates too much insulin.
and therefore the resistance to insulin and metabolic syndrome.
I will read all the comments of the forum. Many thanks for everything!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again, @Ruthbcn
Yes, hyperinsulinaemia will cause all that and more.
Your endocrinologist is correct that you need reduce your carbs and sugars.
But by how much?
If you are still going hypo, you are eating too many carbs!

I hope you can understand what is happening to you.

The reason you have high insulin levels is because of what is called an overshoot of insulin, this occurs when your blood sugar level quickly rises too high, after eating (too many carbs and sugars), the response, (reactive) is your pancreas produces too much insulin that drops your blood sugar levels down into hypoglycaemia.

This overshoot, is the cause of the hyperinsulinaemia.

Keep asking.

Best wishes

Reactions: KarenTh and Ruthbcn

Ruthbcn

Hi again, @Ruthbcn
Yes, hyperinsulinaemia will cause all that and more.
Your endocrinologist is correct that you need reduce your carbs and sugars.
But by how much?
If you are still going hypo, you are eating too many carbs!

I hope you can understand what is happening to you.

The reason you have high insulin levels is because of what is called an overshoot of insulin, this occurs when your blood sugar level quickly rises too high, after eating (too many carbs and sugars), the response, (reactive) is your pancreas produces too much insulin that drops your blood sugar levels down into hypoglycaemia.

This overshoot, is the cause of the hyperinsulinaemia.

Keep asking.

Best wishes
@Lamont D
Do you think if I reduce carbs ans add fat, Could I ever be without hypoglycemia?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Both @Lamont D and I have both reached a point (through going v low carb) where our hypos are now v v rare. :D

(The situation for me is that I had to go gluten free too)

@Lamont D
Do you think if I reduce carbs ans add fat, Could I ever be without hypoglycemia?

Both me and @Brunneria have different types of RH.
The condition is individual to each person, no two are exactly alike.

However, the treatment and avoiding foods which we are intolerant to is the same.
And if you get the balance of protein, fats and whatever carbs you allow yourself, then going hypo free for long periods is possible, I haven't had a hypo for years.
Its not easy, but having the knowledge, it does make sense.
No hypers, no hypos!

Best wishes

Reactions: Ruthbcn