Vegan Baking - Suggestions & Recipes from the Vegan Society

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@WuTwo Could I ask for an egg substitute, have you tried chia seed water? I think vegan eggs are too expensive (if I remember correctly it was £6 :eek:), unless you know a good place to buy them from?

In batters and baking you can use a chickpea flour mix. If you want meringue then look at aquafaba. Precise quantities of the chickpea/water vary but take a look at the link in the berry muffin thread and you'll see she uses chickpea.

I've used it as a tempura base for seitan pieces and it worked brilliantly.

Reactions: MeiChanski

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The jus-roll puff pastry wrapped around a Linda McCartney vegan sausage makes the most amazing sausage roll...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In batters and baking you can use a chickpea flour mix. If you want meringue then look at aquafaba. Precise quantities of the chickpea/water vary but take a look at the link in the berry muffin thread and you'll see she uses chickpea.

I've used it as a tempura base for seitan pieces and it worked brilliantly.
I found the vegan meringue recipe and my bf's family was so surprised "how can you make meringue without eggs?" Chick pea flour eh? that's interesting, is it also quite low carb as well? I don't know much about chick pea flour in comparison to almond flour.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The jus-roll puff pastry wrapped around a Linda McCartney vegan sausage makes the most amazing sausage roll...

I shall try that at the weekend! Thank you - and my husband says a fervent thank you too :happy:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I found the vegan meringue recipe and my bf's family was so surprised "how can you make meringue without eggs?" Chick pea flour eh? that's interesting, is it also quite low carb as well? I don't know much about chick pea flour in comparison to almond flour.

It's not as low as almond flour for carbs but it's less greasy in the cooking.

Nutrition Facts. Serving Size, 100 g. Amount Per Serving. Calories 387. % Daily Value. Total Fat 6.7g, 10 %. Saturated Fat 0.7g, 4 %. Sodium 64mg, 3 %.

Protein 22g‎: ‎44 %
Saturated Fat 0.7g‎: ‎4 %
Total Fat 6.7g‎: ‎10 %
Total Carbohydrate 58g‎: ‎19 %

But in the muffin recipe I made 9 muffins, proper muffin size, and used on 2tbs of chickpea because it was acting as an egg substitute rather than as a flour.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I shall try that at the weekend! Thank you - and my husband says a fervent thank you too :happy:
I used the use the LM cocktail sausages and make little ones for Christmas; and big ones for packed lunches. They tasted very similar to traditional meaty ones.