pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today 92 mg/dL (5.1 mmol/l) at 6:00am, but 105 mg/dL (5.8 mmol/l) at 8:00 still fasting.

I usually get a rise 9-12 mg/dL (0.5-0.7 mmol/l) whenever it is below 100 (5.6) e.g. 83 to 93, but when I start the day a bit over 100 (5.6), I don’t get much of a rise while still fasting. After eating something without carbs, it frequently drops.

Reactions: Pasha and Prem51

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
82 mg/dl or 4.55 m moles/l measured at ca 01:00
Is that the lowest you've had for a while?
I thought mine was pretty good at 4.8mmol at 9:30am this morning. I had been awake for an hour though feeding baby. Less than 2 weeks till the pregnancy hormones can be my excuse for higher blood sugars.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pasha

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is that the lowest you've had for a while?
I thought mine was pretty good at 4.8mmol at 9:30am this morning. I had been awake for an hour though feeding baby. Less than 2 weeks till the pregnancy hormones can be my excuse for higher blood sugars.

Yes 82 mg/dl was my best result for some time. About a year ago I had some serious health problems, pneumonia and cancer diagnosis together with radiation and hormone therapy, BG results increased and I started taking Metformin. Maybe that 82 mg/dl was a sign that things are improving, in any event I have had a few more encouraging results. I also started to eat less protein. Testing time is far more important than I had realised. Lately I have taken to testing after" watering the horse" at night, the results clearly show that they are the days best.

Reactions: Prem51

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes 82 mg/dl was my best result for some time. About a year ago I had some serious health problems, pneumonia and cancer diagnosis together with radiation and hormone therapy, BG results increased and I started taking Metformin. Maybe that 82 mg/dl was a sign that things are improving, in any event I have had a few more encouraging results. I also started to eat less protein. Testing time is far more important than I had realised. Lately I have taken to testing after" watering the horse" at night, the results clearly show that they are the days best.
Woah, pneumonia and cancer are no joke. I hope you keep the cancer at bay. Not having carbs helps that, doesn't it?
I missed the reference and thought you owned horses and was up early feeding farm animals.. tee hee. Does drinking keep the liver busy and so discourage a liver dump of glucose? Is that how it keeps fasting levels down? Does that also mean that you don't deplete your liver glucose stores either though?
I was contemplating having my first glass of wine in a long time but we only have brandy. Wasn't sure what each of those do to the blood sugar though.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
From my experience the leading factor[ all other things being equal] is eating in a 8 hour window and fasting for 16 hours. In any event I eat only two meals a day. It took some time to get used to this WOE, but now its no problem.Re the wine, its individual so everybody needs to test for themselves.I have metastasized prostate cancer, it dines on testosterone, so I need hormone treatment.
One of the side effects of this hormone treatment is hot flashes, the women here think its quite funny "because now you know what we go through". They are right, but I must admit that for the moment everything if fine and I dont suffer any real difficulties. Dealing with blood glucose issues is by far, more demanding. Makes me marvel at the remarkable tenacity of T1 diabetics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
89 mg/dl or 4.94 m moles/l this morning. After WTH it was 85 mg/dl or 4.72 m moles/l

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
From my experience the leading factor[ all other things being equal] is eating in a 8 hour window and fasting for 16 hours. In any event I eat only two meals a day. It took some time to get used to this WOE, but now its no problem.Re the wine, its individual so everybody needs to test for themselves.I have metastasized prostate cancer, it dines on testosterone, so I need hormone treatment.
One of the side effects of this hormone treatment is hot flashes, the women here think its quite funny "because now you know what we go through". They are right, but I must admit that for the moment everything if fine and I dint suffer any real difficulties. Dealing with blood glucose issues is by far, more demanding. Makes me marvel at the remarkable tenacity of T1 diabetics.
That's unfortunate having a cancer that feeds on something the body is making. Does that mean your body gets less testosterone than it should and that's one of the hormones you take now?
One other curious thing I wonder is did you have any hot flashes before the treatment? I only ask because my 81yo father previously had an enlarged prostate which was operated on I think but more recently he's been complaining of hot flashes and his doctor hasn't worked out why he gets them.

Last edited:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's unfortunate having a cancer that feeds on something the body is making. Does that mean your body gets less testosterone than it should and that's one of the hormones you take now?
One other curious thing I wonder is did you have any hot flashes before the treatment? I only ask because my 81yo father previously had an enlarged prostate which was operated on I think but more recently he's been complaining of hot flashes and his doctor hasn't worked out why he gets them.

The hormone therapy modifies the structure of the testosterone into a form that is no longer a source of nourishment for the prostate cancer cells.No hot flashes at all before the diagnosis and up until treatment started. I am sure that your father undergoes regular monitoring via PSA in the blood[ PSA =Prostate specific antigen] I am monitored regularly to make sure that the treatment is working, the doctor should be doing the same for your father.

Caffeine, herbs and even herbal tea etc can trigger hot flashes. Hope this helps.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
The hormone therapy modifies the structure of the testosterone into a form that is no longer a source of nourishment for the prostate cancer cells.No hot flashes at all before the diagnosis and up until treatment started. I am sure that your father undergoes regular monitoring via PSA in the blood[ PSA =Prostate specific antigen] I am monitored regularly to make sure that the treatment is working, the doctor should be doing the same for your father.

Caffeine, herbs and even herbal tea etc can trigger hot flashes. Hope this helps.
Oh, thanks! Good to know. He does drink coffee and alcohol. Prob not helping. I just read that hot flashes in men in general tend occur more often in those with a chronic illness and they all seem to start with insulin resistance (diet related?) and that good blood sugar control in diabetics report fewer symptoms ( although in your case it's different). But for my father, it could be the insulin resistance slowly catching him at his age. Otherwise it's still a mystery. Would you have any idea if any herbs help men like black cohosh and vitex can help women with hot flashes?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh, thanks! Good to know. He does drink coffee and alcohol. Prob not helping. I just read that hot flashes in men in general tend occur more often in those with a chronic illness and they all seem to start with insulin resistance (diet related?) and that good blood sugar control in diabetics report fewer symptoms ( although in your case it's different). But for my father, it could be the insulin resistance slowly catching him at his age. Otherwise it's still a mystery. Would you have any idea if any herbs help men like black cohosh and vitex can help women with hot flashes?

Sorry, absolutely no idea. I will however ask my wife and report back if she has something to contribute.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ Cocosilk

Wife has nothing special to add except cut down on caffeine, booze etc and that maybe your father is taking some medication that together with drinks aids in bringing on the flashes.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FBG this morning was 100 mg/dl or 5.56 m moles/l for reasons not unknown. Ate out yesterday , all good foods but portion control like that of a five year old boy in an ice cream parlor.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@ Cocosilk

Wife has nothing special to add except cut down on caffeine, booze etc and that maybe your father is taking some medication that together with drinks aids in bringing on the flashes.
I'll mention that to him about the medications and drinks combined. Could well be that. Thanks!

Reactions: Pasha