Blueberries & Cottage Cheese

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning, I decided to have a bowl of cottage cheese with black pepper on it. While looking through the foods I have here at work to eat, I realized I had bought a pack of blueberries yesterday, and decided to toss a handful of blueberries onto my cottage cheese. What a treat! I wanted to share on the off chance that people here may like cottage cheese and might want to try it with a sweet topping that's not going to tip the glycemic scales too much.

If anyone has any other Cottage Cheese topping ideas let me know.

I'm new here, and just newly discovered I'm pre-diabetic. I'm not sure if Cottage Cheese is okay to have, but I am guessing that it's not too bad. Blueberries I read are low on the glycemic load index, so I figured it was okay.

I've not eaten dairy in a very long time, so cutting out most carbs left me feeling like I didn't have much food choices, so I added dairy back in. This is my first time eating cottage cheese in over 10 years. I'm getting used to it. :)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sunflower or pumpkin seeds maybe?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Off the top of my head, cottage cheese is low in carbs. I eat it occasionally. I tend to go for Brie, Camembert, Halloumi in the main and they are all low carb.

With cottage cheese? Pineapple chunks but they are higher in carbs?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Off the top of my head, cottage cheese is low in carbs. I eat it occasionally. I tend to go for Brie, Camembert, Halloumi in the main and they are all low carb.

With cottage cheese? Pineapple chunks but they are higher in carbs?

I'm not sure personally about the pineapple chunks, I tried some pineapple when first diagnosed and my sugars shot up like a rocket, may as well have sprinkled sugar on my plate! Test & test though obviously.:)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure personally about the pineapple chunks, I tried some pineapple when first diagnosed and my sugars shot up like a rocket, may as well have sprinkled sugar on my plate! :)
I always found the combination to be a good one, but don’t touch that variety anymore. If I have cottage cheese now it is with walnuts and a low carb slice of toast or something. Cottage cheese with corned beef is nice.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to love cottage cheese. I found it too high carb now so sadly, for me, no more.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Chopped tomatoes, halved black olives, bit of salt, splash of olive oil. But mostly my cottage cheese slowly disappears by stealing a little every time I pass the fridge.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.4grams per hundred. Is that too high for yourself there?

Seems bizarre to me but I am guessing it's all relative depending on whether you are keto or aiming for NO carb. If so I imagine eating cheddar (virtually 0 carb?) would be preferable to 3.4 carbs. I sometime think we should all declare our preferred carb intake before posting as referring to something being 'too high carb' that has 3 carbs in it is misleading to others. I don't mean xfieldoc because she said 'for her' and I'm guessing if you are very insulin resistant even 3 carbs might send you higher than you would like.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most cottage cheese on the market is a watery, lumpy, tasteless mess.

The proper stuff is from Loseby Daries.
Thick and creamy and now off bounds for me for a while as I’m doing meat only for a bit longer.

Hotpepper20000

Early on in my LCHF journey I tested my BG response to cottage cheese. Even though it is relatively low carb it did spike my BG.
I just assumed was because cottage cheese is low fat.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Early on in my LCHF journey I tested my BG response to cottage cheese. Even though it is relatively low carb it did spike my BG.
I just assumed was because cottage cheese is low fat.
...only the awful stuff.