Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Just to be clear, is fat such as saturated fat (I liked grilled sausages) and black pudding with scrambled eggs and bacon, this meal will keep me going till dinner. Not sure what trans fats are so be grateful for any advice.
Kind regards, Q.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Q007,
Whenever we eat whole food containing fat we are usually eating all three types of fat.
Sausages / black pudding could contain processed meat and other foodetc and so there could be a risk of transfat being present.
Not sure about UK regulations but in Oz food labelling laws require that trans fat content be declared.
Of course foods prepared for take-away, eating on site such as cafe's will not have such labelling.
Personally i also avoid theses type of foods, which would include sausages and black puding also because i cannot be certain how many carbs, protein etc they may contain.
And i avoid trans fats like the plague !
Staying with wholesome, fresh, unprocessed foods is my way of avoiding the nasties such as transfats.
Best Wishes.

Reactions: Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi @Q007,
Whenever we eat whole food containing fat we are usually eating all three types of fat.
Sausages / black pudding could contain processed meat and other foodetc and so there could be a risk of transfat being present.
Not sure about UK regulations but in Oz food labelling laws require that trans fat content be declared.
Of course foods prepared for take-away, eating on site such as cafe's will not have such labelling.
Personally i also avoid theses type of foods, which would include sausages and black puding also because i cannot be certain how many carbs, protein etc they may contain.
And i avoid trans fats like the plague !
Staying with wholesome, fresh, unprocessed foods is my way of avoiding the nasties such as transfats.
Best Wishes.
Hello you, Why do you say you avoid trans fat? Can you tell me please what you know about saturated and trans fats. I'd be very grateful indeed. Kind wishes, Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Kitedoc; my nickname is Q, it always has been.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Transfats are fats that are NOT identical to a mirror image of themselves, and are usually produced by partial hydrogenation of unsaturated fats. Human metabolism is able to store them in fat cells, but unable to remove them and use them for energy afterwards

Reactions: Prem51 and Pasha
M

Member496333

Why do you say you avoid trans fat?

Trans fats are polyunsaturated seed oils, originally conceived to make machine lubricants from waste products, whose molecules have been artificially bombarded with hydrogen atoms in a bid to make them behave like natural fats that nature had already saturated with hydrogen. Primarily to make them solid at room temperature (spreadable). These fats are alien to human biology. The body doesn’t know what to do with them. They’re bad.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Q007 Hi Q,
@Robinredbreast has provided some references regarding transfats and health and there are plenty more on the net.
Some references, particularly from esteemed heart associations and foundations seem persistent in trying to lump saturated fat in with trans fats which is unfortunate ( and short sighted).
Hoewever by subscribing to zoeharcombe.com you can find articles amongst her blogs about trans fats, saturated fats, heart disease, cholesterol and statins.
Best Wishes.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to be clear, is fat such as saturated fat (I liked grilled sausages) and black pudding with scrambled eggs and bacon, this meal will keep me going till dinner. Not sure what trans fats are so be grateful for any advice.
Kind regards, Q.
Black pudding can be quite carb heavy so be careful.. (the fillers are usually grain based).
If you get high meat content sausages (97% pork are the most I have found) then you'll be fine.
"Natural" fats that come from animals are fine including butter..and if you like olive, avocado and coconut oil are ok. As a general rule avoid any other kind of oil.
Fats are quite complex subjects as "food" contains saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated in differing ratios.
You can't just eat "saturated" fat as there is no food that only contains it without the other 2. Some natural foods contain trans fat too but in quite small quantities.
Hence generic statements about "fat" are usually oversimplified.

Reactions: Shas3
M

Member496333

A general rule of thumb to gauge the the sat/mono/poly ratio;

Saturated is solid at room temperature.
Mono is solid in the fridge.
Poly is liquid in the fridge.

In other words the stiffer a fat is at room temperature, the more it is saturated (good). Unless it’s hydrogenated (bad).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly avoid trans fats but for other fats there are many different things to take into account. I understand that omega 6 oils are best avoided as they can aid inflammation? I don't believe saturated fats are the problem the experts say e.g. clogging the arteries. The fat you eat makes up only a small amount (15%?) of the cholesterol in the blood and the liver adds the rest so the fat you eat is much less important than what the liver does e.g. storing fats from the carbs you eat. Preservatives associated with fatty foods can be unhealthy.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I still dont get this I'm sorry, its opinion rather than pointing to scientifically / medically proven. I wouldn't survive another heart attack and I am not having a stroke.

No one yet offered scientifically / medically proven facts, my carer just quit because I can't explain why the change from XPERT to lchf she say she dont know what food to buy, I still dont know what a trans fat is and saturated fats are left to sausages. I dont know still if I can have black pudding or sausages. I have a diabetic review in three weeks and I dont feel confident in challenging the switch to lchf and evidence behind it.
I'm not being rude and apologise if so.
I've always replied on preparation preparation preparation in business to win the game.

Where I'm at is I've stayed below c80-90 carbs per day, using protein bars to fill in the gaps, weighing out portions, living on protein meats with sprouts and peppers I haven't weighed but I can tell even by the elastic on my underwear the lbs are coming off. Its so hard, I can't face another set back with a domestic with my DN. I could easily go back to old ways.
Totally p****d off today. I've also had really bad diarrhoea for two days. Q.

M

Member496333

I still dont get this I'm sorry, its opinion rather than pointing to scientifically / medically proven. I wouldn't survive another heart attack and I am not having a stroke.

No one yet offered scientifically / medically proven facts, my carer just quit because I can't explain why the change from XPERT to lchf she say she dont know what food to buy, I still dont know what a trans fat is and saturated fats are left to sausages. I dont know still if I can have black pudding or sausages. I have a diabetic review in three weeks and I dont feel confident in challenging the switch to lchf and evidence behind it.
I've always replied on preparation preparation preparation in business to win the game.

Where I'm at is I've stayed below c80-90 carbs per day, using protein bars to fill in the gaps, weighing out portions, living on protein meats with sprouts and peppers I haven't weighed but I can tell even by the elastic on my underwear the lbs are coming off. Its so hard, I can't face another set back with a domestic with my DN. I could easily go back to old ways.

Basically, in the simplest terms, vegetable oils, margarines or anything else claiming to be “heart healthy” is probably bad. Animal fats (butter, lard, goose, ghee etc.) along with olive and coconut oil is probably good. However, good luck sneaking that one past anyone in a white coat.

EDIT: also none of these fats in large quantities will do your health any good if one is also consuming considerable carbohydrate.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The full name of trans fats is trans-unsaturated fatty acids or trans fatty acids. They are manufactured foods rather than naturally occurring - think of naturally liquid fats that have undergone processing to turn them into solids - margarine, and shortening for cheap pastry. They aren't allowed to be put in food in the US but still occur in foods in the UK - mainly in processed foods like biscuits, cakes, pies etc

Googling will get you far more than you really want to know about them!

Sorry about your carer :arghh:

Last edited:

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Sarcasm doesnt do it for me Jim, keep it. Give me a knock when you have some medically / scientific proven evidence.
Hoping you're well, best wishes Q.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to read you have had such a rotten day :(
To be honest, you have many good constructive and I think helpful replies. regarding trans fats. As for sausages, I buy gluten free, which is just sausage with no cereals in them, so reduced carbs, and many supermarkets stock them.
If you like these, fish is good, also chicken.

Reactions: WuTwo
M

Member496333

Sarcasm doesnt do it for me Jim, keep it. Give me a knock when you have some medically / scientific proven evidence.
Hoping you're well, best wishes Q.

I was trying to help you. Never mind.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think I posted a few weeks back that I understood your caution. Primarily as I wasn’t in such a dissimilar position to you. Missing gall bladder, hypertension and until recently, diabetic blood sugar levels. I was apprehensive about fats in conjunction with low carbs as it turned on its head what I had been trickle fed for many years. Once I had seen so many people on the forum approaching their condition with a low carb high fat or lower carb higher fat approach I didn’t really need scientific evidence. After all many members on the forum are a form of “lab rat” in the nicest sense that it is. Their results were all the evidence I needed to go ahead and do the same, except I never tested. But it worked, Q. And I eat fats now and it all works, amazingly.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still dont get this I'm sorry, its opinion rather than pointing to scientifically / medically proven

Nothing in the field of human nutrition will ever be "scientifically proven" unless you are willing to allow babies to be taken from their parents locked up in hospitals and fed specific diets until they die and even then that won't be conclusive.

I'm afraid you either have to rely on epidemiological studies which as the recent NHANES debacle in the states has proven are meaningless or you have to look at people who with n=1 evidence have shown what can be achieved.

What we have here on the forum are opinions developed from many years of reading around the subject and personal experience of results. You can either believe what we have to say, ignore it or do your own research and reach your own conclusions, or a combination of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.