Ultrasound scan of liver and pancreas - anyone had this?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes, I assume so.

Unfortunately it may still be fatty because the Internet says that a blood test can't reliably diagnose a fatty liver.
Hence this topic.:)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Unfortunately it may still be fatty because the Internet says that a blood test can't reliably diagnose a fatty liver.

In fatty liver disease, the GGT level is frequently elevated in NAFLD, but as you said it can't be used to diagnose I don't think, but it could perhaps point to thinking about getting an abdominal ultra sound to diagnose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I know it may have been fatty, and still maybe, but it appeared to be doing its job OK on the face of things. I think it maybe less fatty now though, after losing all my excess weight and maintaining it for a long time - judging by the visceral fat results on my scales with a score of 6. Could of course be lower, but at least it is within the healthy range of 1 to 12. Still, it would be good to have a scan of some sort.

Reactions: hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In fatty liver disease, the GGT level is frequently elevated in NAFLD, but as you said it can't be used to diagnose I don't think, but it could perhaps point to thinking about getting an abdominal ultra sound to diagnose.

My GGT is 14. The highest it has been is 26 on diagnosis. (range 0-65). It hasn't been tested since 2016.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it difficult to believe that scales can measure visceral fat. Any clues as to how they might do it?

Reactions: hankjam

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I find it difficult to believe that scales can measure visceral fat. Any clues as to how they might do it?

Send electricity up one leg and down the other and measure how hard it is to get across between them?
Or in the more complex ones where you have hand electrodes as well, measure how easy/difficult it is to pass a current from the feet to the hands?
Anything that traverses the lower torso may be affected by visceral fat.

Then again, it does seem a bit like magic.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My history is similar to @bobrobert - I had an ultrasound because of gallbladder/liver pain a couple of years prior to being diagnosed with Type 2, though my fasting BG was normal at the time and the report said NAFLD, though none of the doctors made any kind of recommendation or even comment on it at the time :rolleyes:

Edited to add: the scan report also reported fatty pancreas.

Last edited:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've had lots of ultrasound scans. That's how they diagnosed PCOS and poly-cystic kidneys. One time the consultant forgot to specify, just putting down 'abdo', so I got a guided tour of my insides. Definitely fatty liver, my ovaries look like a clump of bubbles. I had to reassure the scan tech I already knew of the kidney cysts, and he accidentally commented 'yeah, those kidneys look as if they've been kicked around a bit'.

OTOH apparently I have a very pretty spleen.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Send electricity up one leg and down the other and measure how hard it is to get across between them?
Or in the more complex ones where you have hand electrodes as well, measure how easy/difficult it is to pass a current from the feet to the hands?
Anything that traverses the lower torso may be affected by visceral fat.

Then again, it does seem a bit like magic.
How would it distinguish between visceral fat and anything else?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How would it distinguish between visceral fat and anything else?

No idea but they give measurements for lots of other things. Weight, body fat %, total water, muscle mass, metabolic age and such like in addition to visceral fat.

Cinderella56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

I was diagnosed diabetes type two in 2017 kept my blood sugars in pre diabetic range by moderate carb intake as I only weigh eight stone ten and doc says don't lose more weight but I try to keep carbs about 130g a day .. had a liver scan last summer by accident they were actually looking for bladder stones ..none but found gallstones .. hmm... but also checked my liver and it was fine not fatty so I would think that although diabetics are prone to fatty liver keeping carbs under control helps but forgive me if I am wrong.

Hello to all. My mother had a liver ultrasound today. The person doing the ultrasound said that the liver looked fine but perhaps my mother should have a colonoscopy. If of course think that this person has seen a colon tumour but didn't want to say. Why else would they have said it? The reason for the ultra sound was that she had raised ALT factors. I think that might be because she is on statins for a mild heart issue. Any views re the reference to colonoscopy? Other than the obvious......?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My naturopath told me that when the heart is in distress ( I had AFib) it can raise the ALT figure.

You could be right about the colon but it could be something else. Some harmless polyps can be as large as 6 cm across.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I wondered if anyone had been given such a scan either NHS or private, and if so what the results were.

I've had a scan on the NHS which showed my liver looked OK, within a few months I had another scan because I had volunteered to be a guinea pig in a drug trial, that scan showed a slightly different result although while they were trying to get some decent "pictures" they realised that I wasn't suitable for the trial, so stopped trying to get a decent scan.

The gastroenterologist who had done the first scan recently referred me to have a liver biopsy which I had last week. Now I can say that I've had a prostate and a liver biopsy and if anyone has one in the future, DO NOT WORRY, it didn't hurt me a bit.