1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ultrasound scan of liver and pancreas - anyone had this?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by LittleGreyCat, Jun 7, 2019.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it may still be fatty because the Internet says that a blood test can't reliably diagnose a fatty liver.
    Hence this topic.:)

2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

In fatty liver disease, the GGT level is frequently elevated in NAFLD, but as you said it can't be used to diagnose I don't think, but it could perhaps point to thinking about getting an abdominal ultra sound to diagnose.

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, I know it may have been fatty, and still maybe, but it appeared to be doing its job OK on the face of things. I think it maybe less fatty now though, after losing all my excess weight and maintaining it for a long time - judging by the visceral fat results on my scales with a score of 6. Could of course be lower, but at least it is within the healthy range of 1 to 12. Still, it would be good to have a scan of some sort.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

My GGT is 14. The highest it has been is 26 on diagnosis. (range 0-65). It hasn't been tested since 2016.

5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's excellant. I can't imagine it would be any different three years later.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to believe that scales can measure visceral fat. Any clues as to how they might do it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Send electricity up one leg and down the other and measure how hard it is to get across between them?
    Or in the more complex ones where you have hand electrodes as well, measure how easy/difficult it is to pass a current from the feet to the hands?
    Anything that traverses the lower torso may be affected by visceral fat.

Then again, it does seem a bit like magic.

8. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

My history is similar to @bobrobert - I had an ultrasound because of gallbladder/liver pain a couple of years prior to being diagnosed with Type 2, though my fasting BG was normal at the time and the report said NAFLD, though none of the doctors made any kind of recommendation or even comment on it at the time :rolleyes:

Edited to add: the scan report also reported fatty pancreas.

#28 Indy51, Jun 8, 2019 at 8:32 PM
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

I've had lots of ultrasound scans. That's how they diagnosed PCOS and poly-cystic kidneys. One time the consultant forgot to specify, just putting down 'abdo', so I got a guided tour of my insides. Definitely fatty liver, my ovaries look like a clump of bubbles. I had to reassure the scan tech I already knew of the kidney cysts, and he accidentally commented 'yeah, those kidneys look as if they've been kicked around a bit'.

OTOH apparently I have a very pretty spleen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How would it distinguish between visceral fat and anything else?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bluetit1802

No idea but they give measurements for lots of other things. Weight, body fat %, total water, muscle mass, metabolic age and such like in addition to visceral fat.

12. Cinderella56

Cinderella56 Type 2 · Member

13. Cinderella56

Cinderella56 Type 2 · Member

Hello

I was diagnosed diabetes type two in 2017 kept my blood sugars in pre diabetic range by moderate carb intake as I only weigh eight stone ten and doc says don't lose more weight but I try to keep carbs about 130g a day .. had a liver scan last summer by accident they were actually looking for bladder stones ..none but found gallstones .. hmm... but also checked my liver and it was fine not fatty so I would think that although diabetics are prone to fatty liver keeping carbs under control helps but forgive me if I am wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook