Type 2 Corticosteroids and diabetes

Catkysydney

I have a question. I have been having severe cough and diagnosed bronchitis from lung CT scan.

I had 3 different antibiotics ( Augmenting Forte, Doxicyclin, Clindamycin) did not work.. finally the 4th antibiotics ( Ciprofloxacin ) worked ( I took them over 6 weeks ). But I still had a severe cough and phlegm. So I asked my doctor corticosteroids, he gave me inhalers( Simbicourt and Tirade ) as well.

Cough and phlegm have got better. But my blood glucose level became very high ( 18.8 - 2hours after food ), it used to be 6.5 or 7.0... I managed it quite well before. I have been taking Sitagliptin 100mg everyday with strict diet.

According to websites, corticosteroids increase blood glucose level significantly.
So true... Will it be decreasing when I stop taking corticosteroids ?

Is there anyone who had experience of corticosteroids ?? If so, your advice will be very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My only experience of steroids with diabetes is a steroid injection into my foot and it did raise my bloods sugars for a week or two. Steroids are well known to elevate blood sugars and can even induce diabetes in a non diabetic. Yours should settle down once you’ve finished the course.

Reactions: Catkysydney

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes. I had a course of steroids for a flare up of another autoimmune disease and had to quadruple my insulin doses. I also lost my hypo awareness temporarily, which was really scary, especially with needing bucketfuls of insulin.

If you've been thinking of trying a low-carb diet, now might be a good time to try :)

Catkysydney

My only experience of steroids with diabetes is a steroid injection into my foot and it did raise my bloods sugars for a week or two. Steroids are well known to elevate blood sugars and can even induce diabetes in a non diabetic. Yours should settle down once you’ve finished the course.

Thank you very much for your reply !! Your advice is very helpful and valuable to me !!

I am reducing the dosage slowly at the moment, so it will settle down after I finish it.

Thank you very much again !!

Best wishes

Reactions: Notorious

Catkysydney

Yes. I had a course of steroids for a flare up of another autoimmune disease and had to quadruple my insulin doses. I also lost my hypo awareness temporarily, which was really scary, especially with needing bucketfuls of insulin.

If you've been thinking of trying a low-carb diet, now might be a good time to try :)

Thank you very much for your reply !! Your advice is very helpful and valuable to me !!

I have been taking low-carb diet and losing my weight slowly. I am not overweight, but doctor told me diabetes will go away if I loose 7 or 8 kilo. I am 158cm tall 51kg now, my target is 48 kg.

Thank you very much again.

Best wishes

Reactions: Notorious

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @Rachox I've had corticosteroid injections. Both times they raised my glucose levels which stayed up higher for several days, but then came back down again to my usual levels. I imagine with a course it would take somewhat longer, but it might be worth doing a forum search as this topic as cropped up on previous occasions.

(I also needed to use corticosteroid eye drops long term and years before I got diabetes, and I did wonder in retrospect whether these together with statins, may have been in part responsible for causing my T2 - but when I checked, those eye drops don't apparently cause a rise in glucose! o_Oo_O)

Robbity

Catkysydney

Like @Rachox I've had corticosteroid injections. Both times they raised my glucose levels which stayed up higher for several days, but then came back down again to my usual levels. I imagine with a course it would take somewhat longer, but it might be worth doing a forum search as this topic as cropped up on previous occasions.

(I also needed to use corticosteroid eye drops long term and years before I got diabetes, and I did wonder in retrospect whether these together with statins, may have been in part responsible for causing my T2 - but when I checked, those eye drops don't apparently cause a rise in glucose! o_Oo_O)

Robbity

Thank you for you reply !! Your reply is helpful and valuable to me !!
Corticosteroids definitely raises our blood glucose level.. I am reducing it now, so hopefully my glucose will go back to the level ...

Thank you again !!

Best wishes

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As long as you are not on them for too long you should be ok .