Airport Security. Can I keep pens in the box?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I know about the plastic bag and liquids rule and I have a letter from my DSN regarding carrying insulin etc. Do I have to remove my pens from their box when I place them in the bag?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know about the plastic bag and liquids rule and I have a letter from my DSN regarding carrying insulin etc. Do I have to remove my pens from their box when I place them in the bag?

I have no idea. I'll tag @urbanracer and @Antje77 , who seem to be online, and insulin users, to see if they have a view.

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Mine have always been in a Frio wallet when travelling. Have never been asked to take them out.

In fact even though I proffer my diabetes kit in a vain attempt to get noticed they seldom show any interest whatsoever!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag, @DCUKMod , and sorry I can't help you, @miahara . Last time I was in an airplane was some 30 years ago, long before diabetes, so no first hand experience.

Reactions: miahara

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks all who have replied. Much appreciated!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
You probably want to check the airline's website for their policy, and print a copy for security guards.

It's about ten years ago now, but I still clearly remember flying out to Chicago, when they demanded all prescription medicine be in its original packaging, and flying back, when they demanded all fluids be without extra packaging and in the fluids bag.

D

Deleted Account

@Seacrow i am a frequent flyer and never come across an airline who cares (or who I bother mentioning) about diabetes medication. In my experience, only airport security may pay any attention to insulin pens ... and the only time they were questioned was when insulin pens were metal.
@miahara I assume you have non-refillable pens. I always use cartridge, refillable pens and never bothered putting the pens or cartridges in clear bags.
I only carried original packaging when security was enhanced (within a month of the “shoe bomber”). Every other flight (over 100 flights), there has been no need for original boxes so, to reduce space in my hand luggage I remove my insulin and pens from their boxes.
Once I was pulled over for my insulin vial (I now use a pump but always travel with pens as back up) not being in clear plastic bag I was told i could carry additional plastic bag for medication and security provided additional plastic bag. I have never been asked to place pens in plastic bag even though they contained insulin cartridge.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
@Seacrow i am a frequent flyer and never come across an airline who cares (or who I bother mentioning) about diabetes medication. In my experience, only airport security may pay any attention to insulin pens ... and the only time they were questioned was when insulin pens were metal.
I was using vials, and they'd already picked up on the syringes as dangerous sharp items that they wanted to take off me but weren't allowed to. My docs prescription letter included the insulin, but also the syringes, lancets and bg test machine as items I must be allowed to keep with me. Security was not happy, possibly resulting in the letter-of-the-rules approach. TBF it wasn't long after the bombing of Manchester, and I was flying from Manchester airport.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you come to Australia, don't volunteer anything. They will hassle you and pretend they've never seen someone with a medical condition before. (I swear they are trained to do this.)

I stopped volunteering things years ago and have made maybe 20 trips and I've never gotten pulled up. If you get pulled up, stay calm and polite and tell them where your letter is.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep my insulin in frio pouches .....at manchester they insist every time i take the insulin out and put them in plastic bags ....they also on occasion have insisted i take the gel inserts out and put them in bags ! Returning airports have diffeant ideas but i just do it like i do leaving manchester....the staff are always nice about it and helpful too !

D

Deleted Account

I keep my insulin in frio pouches .....at manchester they insist every time i take the insulin out and put them in plastic bags ....they also on occasion have insisted i take the gel inserts out and put them in bags ! Returning airports have diffeant ideas but i just do it like i do leaving manchester....the staff are always nice about it and helpful too !
I never “charge” my Frio bags until I arrive at my destination as there is some nervousness amongst airport security for gels. They have not paid any attention to the crystals.

I agree fully with your approach to do as you are asked with regard to clear plastic bags . And don’t make a fuss ... or draw attention to yourself.

Reactions: porl69

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just came back from holiday, first time going away since I have been on Insulin and using a Dexcom G6. They didn't care about my frio bags, but they hand searched me massively as I didn't go through the scanner due to the G6 on me. I would say it was bloody excessive considering I had a letter from the hospital explaining everything I was being searched for about 5 mins, then I had to go through my shoes getting swabbed and my sensor on my arm getting swabbed and they then swabbed my mouth, really peed me off! This was at Stanstead. Coming back from Spain I had no issue whatsoever.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Manchester airport forced me to take the pens out the frio wallet when i went through security

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We're facing 35C temperature when we land and about a three hour wait to reach our final destination and fridge so I want to keep my insulin chilled in transit so will put it in the Frio bag and if asked to remove it will just have to do so.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Pens, not always in the box; but vials, always in the box.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Put everything in a big bag. Hospital letter on the tray with it. Never been looked at and never been challenged. Here or abroad.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess its all down to whether the guys and gals at the airports are having a good or bad day !! just take your turn, have the bags ready and some patience.... ive learnt to have that in buckets

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it a problem when my insulin, blood checking meter, back up kit goes through x Ray with iPad, phone and hand baggage in 2 trays, I get full search due to Omnipod pump and Libre being picked up, my PDM is taken 100m away to be swabbed and locating all my life dependant kit amongst so many people sends me into panic mode. This only happens at London airports on the way out and after several bad experiences am now incredibly anxious with high sugars. It’s only been the last few years that it’s got so bad, I loathe it!