What do they teach on the DAFNE course?

joanna2468

i've been signed up for the DAFNE course but it's quite a while away - i feel like i know quite a lot about diabetes and was wondering what do they actually teach? i weigh my food, i count my carbs, i calculate my insulin dosage and my blood sugars are alright. beyond that, is there anything actually useful?

D

Deleted Account

I did the DAFNE course 12 years after my type 1 diagnosis so was very experienced in carb counting, basal testing and more.
For me, there were two things which made the course worthwhile
- meeting other people with type 1 diabetes and understanding the problems they had. It was much more real talking to people face to face than reading theory or even (sorry guys) sharing experiences on a forum.
- jumping through a big hoop for a pump. When pumping, it is very very important to accurately carb count, know what to do if my BG rises quickly (which can happen if the pump fails) and understand what happens when I exercise.

What was taught had less value but the course was not a waste of time.

Reactions: WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I found DAFNE as a great refresher for a lot of things, such as sick day rules, the guidelines for 10g of carbs or 1 unit of fast acting insulin could +/- BG levels, also corrections - sometimes we over correct or compensate for hypos. Also they are considering changing the rules, the future dafne courses may include proteins - eastern europeans eat a lot of sausages etc and it has been noted that protein does increase BG levels, not as bad as carbs. It helped with counting carbs effectively and accurately, sometimes eyeballing isn't enough. Lastly, it's a nice group of other diabetes that we can talk about our issues and learn that we are not alone.

Reactions: WuTwo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i've been signed up for the DAFNE course but it's quite a while away - i feel like i know quite a lot about diabetes and was wondering what do they actually teach? i weigh my food, i count my carbs, i calculate my insulin dosage and my blood sugars are alright. beyond that, is there anything actually useful?
There is a lot of information on the main site like this.....
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/education/dafne.html