Type 1 on pump with ME and Fibromyalgia

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
As the title says, but add anxiety to that....Ive gradually become more and more exhausted over the years... now discovered due to stress.
This effects my diabetes massively.
Went on the pump 18 months ago.... but dr appoint changed and changed and eventually I've got moved to a closer clinic to me as it's become available. I just couldn't make the hour journey there each time. The clinic was great.
But because if the change getting help was a bit delayed.
Now I'm so exhausted I have trouble travelling the 25 mins to clinic.
Still waiting for the 2 nd appoint connected with going on the pump. It's due Dec. Instead of last May/June as it was meant to be.
My stress response is quite acute now.
I sleep hours during the day also and if I can't because of other appoint, then it takes its toll.
A month ago I had repeated unexplained hypos back to back, and now I've suffered days of extreme highs....
Not helped by the fact that I forgot to re connect my pump after a shower the other day!!
I've taken ages to recover.
I've bounced back up to unexplained highs, giving myself a real scare.
Nurse has given advice over the phone, including not to try to travel to her at the moment.
I have known for years that simple adrenaline responses, be them happy ones or not, effect my bloods hugely!
I mean, a chat with a friend I've not spoken to in a while can make my sugars jump to 19 in 20 minutes!
I'm not sure what's going on as the pump was to help..... is it me? I've been insulin resistant for a long time
But now I just don't know what's happening and I don't entirely trust my settings
But so tired
Any helpful advice please, but just be gentle with me
I've have worked very hard at controlling my diabetes for years.... been ahead of advice I've know for a long time through learning and common sense.....the pump is a new learning curve .... and I have other health issues getting in the way

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you treating insulin resistance or are you accommodating for that on your I:V ratio?

Have you basal tested? Have you looked at using TBR for days with different activity levels? Have you looked at whether you need to bolus for macros other than carbs or adjust your ratio depending on the macro content of the meal.

If you had a pump failure/ long time without insulin you blood sugars might be fragile following correction.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi thanks. The insulin resistance was being treated with metformin years ago unsuccessfully. Then various other trials. Then back to metformin which worked a little better. But then onto pump without metformin. I've asked to go back onto it but needed basal testing results in. But if a disaster as they never ran with a pattern. One week to the next changed depending on my circumstances. So nothing solid to follow. I have tried TBR numerous times.... altered the basal setting between 120 - 110..... over a long period of time of course.
Before the pump I had eaten a very low to no carb diet. Even got to the point of trying to work out working carbs in proteins etc.
On normal healthy regular eating diet now.
My sugars were high at 24 in the morning and 24 in the afternoon the day before I forgot to plug the pump back in over night.
What do you mean by macro content?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. Out of interest what insulin are you on? I was diagnosed with ME and was in a similar state to you some years back. I felt so ill and was getting worse. Turned out to be my Levemir doing it all. After I came off that and went on the pump I slowly got back to normal. Worth considering that something under your nose could be causing this. I also had acupuncture which helped with the fatigue.

Have you also looked into a Diaport?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I'm on novorapid
Have tried acupuncture too and EFT
Various other things too numerous to remember at the moment
I try to pace myself each day

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm on novorapid
Have tried acupuncture too and EFT
Various other things too numerous to remember at the moment
I try to pace myself each day

Hi Megan - you've responded to an old thread here, so some of the members who responded may not see this, would you like to create a new thread for better visibility ?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi thanks no it's ok I just noticed this and thought I'd better respond didn't mean to have left it

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey no worries @megan I just noticed the 2 people responding haven't logged back in for a while so wanted to give you the heads up :)