Type 2 Accuracy of Diastix testing

RichieD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone could let me know if they have encountered the same problem that I recently came across. I am type 2 and although I know many agree that the diastix are not as accurate as actual blood level tests, it was what I was offered so I thought it would be better than nothing to help me establish a good diet and get an approximate idea of my levels pre/post eating etc. I had my levels at what I understood was acceptable on my hba1c tests but it had crept up on the last two 6 monthly tests. I was confused as I was basically eating the same diet but the diastix showed that my lunch, which is the same every day, was varying beween the 5.5mmol/l colour reading and the 28mmol/l colour reading. I spoke with my doctor, who agreed to get me a blood meter and after using this for a week (alongside the diastix) I can say that the readings have absolutely no correlation whatsoever to each other. I assumed that, like a blood/alcohol level where it has proportional readings for breath/blood/urine, blood/glucose levels and urine/glucose levels would be relative. I have had blood level readings for example of 7.4 7.8 9.2 13.4 8.3 and 10.7 however the diastix "reading" taken at the same time for every one of them was always showing as less than the 5.5 level. I know the pre/post eating test levels are important to compare but the point I am asking is, has anyone else experienced the situation where the diastix readings are apparently a total waste of time to try and monitor their levels? I was, mistakenly, under the impression that I was managing my levels okay using the diastix. Is it just me or are the diastix actually pointless for use day to day diabetic management?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I wouldn't use them. I also ditched the ketostix for ketones and bought a dual glucose meter that could measure both.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @RichieD and welcome to the forum

Regarding Diastix, I would suggest they are a waste of time (and money) to be honest. I've always understood that they don't usually register much unless the BG is10 or more - so not a good way to control BG, me thinks ;)

Using a Glucometer to measure blood glucose is definitely the way to go and if your GP is happy to prescribe testing strips, then you're quite priveldged ;) People with Type 2 are usually dismissed with 'you don't need to test'!!! Not testing is rather like driving your car with no working speedo and then wondering why you keep getting done for speeding!

If your GP limits your test strips, or won't prescribe them, then it would be good to get yourself a meter but check the price of the test strips, rather than the price of the meter, as the test strips are the on-going cost. There are two meters which are relatively cheap, one being Codefree (can't remember the details). They can be found in various posts.

Hope this helps
PS If you were to fill in more details re your diabetes and medications etc in your profile, you will receive better advice in relation to your situation etc. ;)

RichieD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I wouldn't use them. I also ditched the ketostix for ketones and bought a dual glucose meter that could measure both.
Thank you for your reply xfieldoc. I will continue with the blood testing meter and hopefully get the levels under control correctly this time.

RichieD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @RichieD and welcome to the forum

Regarding Diastix, I would suggest they are a waste of time (and money) to be honest. I've always understood that they don't usually register much unless the BG is10 or more - so not a good way to control BG, me thinks ;)

Using a Glucometer to measure blood glucose is definitely the way to go and if your GP is happy to prescribe testing strips, then you're quite priveldged ;) People with Type 2 are usually dismissed with 'you don't need to test'!!! Not testing is rather like driving your car with no working speedo and then wondering why you keep getting done for speeding!

If your GP limits your test strips, or won't prescribe them, then it would be good to get yourself a meter but check the price of the test strips, rather than the price of the meter, as the test strips are the on-going cost. There are two meters which are relatively cheap, one being Codefree (can't remember the details). They can be found in various posts.

Hope this helps
PS If you were to fill in more details re your diabetes and medications etc in your profile, you will receive better advice in relation to your situation etc. ;)

Thanks for that Energize. Hopefully I can get the levels sorted properly using the blood meter.