Insulin sensitivity

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone - recently for some reason I have pretty much had to double my insulin dosage and still can’t seem to get my levels under control?? I am seeming to be much less sensitive to my insulin but can’t work out why? There has been no particular illness or event I can relate this back to - is there any other reasons why this might be?? Thank you!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, could it be your monthly friend is on it’s way? Or stress?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone - recently for some reason I have pretty much had to double my insulin dosage and still can’t seem to get my levels under control?? I am seeming to be much less sensitive to my insulin but can’t work out why? There has been no particular illness or event I can relate this back to - is there any other reasons why this might be?? Thank you!!

Hi, have you tried injecting in different sites, feeling unwell or contacted your DSN regarding the problem, as you may have Lipohypertrophy. I would contact them asap, I know it's Friday but leaving a message, then ringing again on Monday first thing. I hope you can get some answers soon and then start to see better control/numbers.
Take care.

Lipohypertrophy is an abnormal accumulation of fat underneath the surface of the skin. It's most commonly seen in people who receive multiple daily injections, such as people with type 1 diabetes. ... Repeated insulin injections in the same location can cause fat and scar tissue to accumulate.

camparisoda

Hi Briony!

Ah, the joys of diabetes - there are so many variables that can affect your blood sugars. How long has it been happening for?

1. Injection sites - at a recent review with my consultant, we discovered that I had a fair few lumps on my legs that I kept injecting into, and I didn't even know they were there - perhaps worth rotating your sites?
  2. Is your period due? My blood sugar levels tend to creep up just before my period starts.
  3. Have you checked your insulin vial? Has it been cracked (I've dropped my pen and cracked the vial so some of it leaked out when I was trying to inject)? Is it cloudy, or are there crystals on it?
#1 immediately springs to mind - once I learned that I had lumps that I couldn't see and then rotated my sites, my control improved lots.

Hope you get sorted soon!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hidden infections. I had an unknown tooth infection that sent my BG's up before my tooth started actually bothering me.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long has your insulin been out of the fridge? Not left it anywhere hot? I fried a vial leaving my bag in the car in last year's heatwave and it took me 2 days to work out that it wasn't working properly.

D

Deleted Account

In addition to the advice above, I would also check your pen is working correctly

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In addition to the things above, have you gained weight or are you doing less activity or exercise?