Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Burgers

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Any of the green veg is low carb but there's already broccoli in there. Veg grown under the ground (root veg) tends to be a bit more starchy.

You'd need something with a reasonable amount of flavour and body. Courgettes are low carb but you'd need to add a good bit more flavouring to make up for the fact there's not too much in them. Also perhaps a bit watery? What about eggplant (zucchini)?

I'd think about celery instead of onion (if you like it) - similar strong flavour. If you don't like it, think about what veg you do like that could go in a mixture and then have a play - make a quarter of the recipe amount using whichever substitutes you want to try and see how it comes out. That way if it's not good, you haven't wasted too much food.

Reactions: Guna108

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@guna - didn't realise you couldn't have mushrooms - sorry! I'll do some thinking and see what comes to mind.

Anyone else got any ideas? @Mel dCP or @Robinredbreast - @Antje77 - any of us got any ideas?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@guna - didn't realise you couldn't have mushrooms - sorry! I'll do some thinking and see what comes to mind.

Anyone else got any ideas? @Mel dCP or @Robinredbreast - @Antje77 - any of us got any ideas?
What about aubergine/eggplant? (can never remember which word to use where). Like mushrooms they have a pretty strong taste and I find them quite alike in texture when not overcooked.
I'd roast slices in the oven with the broccoli, with a little olive oil and salt drizzled on and chop them after cooking.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reactions: Guna108 and Antje77

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @WuTwo . Slightly off topic.
I’m not a vegetarian but my daughter has just delivered a bottle of wine for Fathers Day.
Organic no less and also vegan and vegetarian emblazoned on the label.
Serving suggestions.........Goes well with meat.
WT* is all that about?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about aubergine/eggplant? (can never remember which word to use where). Like mushrooms they have a pretty strong taste and I find them quite alike in texture when not overcooked.
I'd roast slices in the oven with the broccoli, with a little olive oil and salt drizzled on and chop them after cooking.
That sounds great. Thanks for posting this.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@WuTwo Your recipes are helping me think about what I will be able to eat once I finish the vlcd in 2 months time. Thank you so much for sharing them and also for your useful advice.

Last edited: