1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Burgers

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by WuTwo, Jun 15, 2019.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. WuTwo

Any of the green veg is low carb but there's already broccoli in there. Veg grown under the ground (root veg) tends to be a bit more starchy.

You'd need something with a reasonable amount of flavour and body. Courgettes are low carb but you'd need to add a good bit more flavouring to make up for the fact there's not too much in them. Also perhaps a bit watery? What about eggplant (zucchini)?

I'd think about celery instead of onion (if you like it) - similar strong flavour. If you don't like it, think about what veg you do like that could go in a mixture and then have a play - make a quarter of the recipe amount using whichever substitutes you want to try and see how it comes out. That way if it's not good, you haven't wasted too much food.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WuTwo

@guna - didn't realise you couldn't have mushrooms - sorry! I'll do some thinking and see what comes to mind.

Anyone else got any ideas? @Mel dCP or @Robinredbreast - @Antje77 - any of us got any ideas?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

What about aubergine/eggplant? (can never remember which word to use where). Like mushrooms they have a pretty strong taste and I find them quite alike in texture when not overcooked.
    I'd roast slices in the oven with the broccoli, with a little olive oil and salt drizzled on and chop them after cooking.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Could use cauliflower.or sliced olives, but Antje's eggplant sounds good :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @WuTwo . Slightly off topic.
    I’m not a vegetarian but my daughter has just delivered a bottle of wine for Fathers Day.
    Organic no less and also vegan and vegetarian emblazoned on the label.
    Serving suggestions.........Goes well with meat.
    WT* is all that about?

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Guna108

That sounds great. Thanks for posting this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Guna108

@WuTwo Your recipes are helping me think about what I will be able to eat once I finish the vlcd in 2 months time. Thank you so much for sharing them and also for your useful advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #9 Guna108, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook