Mangos

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite fruit is the mango. I discovered a few years back that there are many different varieties to pick from, though that might not be obvious from the look of our local supermarket shelves. Of the various varieties there is one that stands out above the rest and that is the “honey” mango that comes with a rich velvety and sweet taste. These honey mango fruits tend to grow or be grown in limited latitudes so getting hold of them in the UK isn’t easy. They are also seasonal. However often they can be bought in some of the Asian stores and occasionally in the supermarket. We have had to pay well over a pound apiece if not more but they are typically flown in.

Today we bought a box of 12 at £12 a piece. They had been flown in from India by Etihad airways.

The last mango I ate was back before my dietary changes in February. However I did have a couple of these today. The honey mango isn’t so often large in size and typically contains a large stone. These two today were absolutely delicious.

I suspect that notwithstanding my carb intake for the day was inside the 130 gram range, though I also suspect two in one go might not be such a great idea. But it is not as if I eat them everyday.

Here is an article on the very fruit:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/carbohydrates-mangos-1798.html

04BD9296-A846-4CE1-B24B-2071C5814CA0.jpeg

D

Deleted member 308541

We get Kensington Pride mango's from a friend who has a couple of trees in his back yard.

I can only tolerate half of one with out blowing the days carb count sky high, nice diced up in greek yoghurt though.

89YfNM8.jpg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We get Kensington Pride mango's from a friend who has a couple of trees in his back yard.

I can only tolerate half of one with out blowing the days carb count sky high, nice diced up in greek yoghurt though.

89YfNM8.jpg
Looks like the same variety. We have another 8 more to eat but I shall leave them to my wife and daughter to chomp through. :D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Indian/Pakistan mango season is short. When my dad was growing up in India, he used to be put naked (he was very young) into a tin bath with a bucket of mangos and a spoon. Left in the courtyard until he had his fill, he would then be hosed down before being allowed back inside. Before he passed away, I was able to get him a box, his face was a picture. They are quite unlike the mangos we get in the supermarkets in the UK. I absolutely loved them, but I am not in the slightest tempted at the moment.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not a lover of Mango's, but daughter likes them :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my dad was growing up in India, he used to be put naked (he was very young) into a tin bath with a bucket of mangos and a spoon. Left in the courtyard until he had his fill, he would then be hosed down before being allowed back inside.
Is that because the mango juice is cleansing?

Yes they are particularly flavoursome.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also bought a nice papaya (paw paw) today too. But sadly I will have to leave that to the rest of the family to eat.

Mrs Listlad typically prepares papaya in condensed milk. So double the reason to pass on this great fruit too.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
We used to buy mangos by the box full as a child growing up in Queensland. I must say, I haven't spotted them in the UK supermarkets to buy fresh, not that I could eat them now.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We used to buy mangos by the box full as a child growing up in Queensland. I must say, I haven't spotted them in the UK supermarkets to buy fresh, not that I could eat them now.
Mangos are easy to get hold of in the U.K., but the honey mango variety is harder to come by.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm papaya. When I lived in Singapore, I would often have them for breakfast. They were the same size as the ones available in the UK, they would fit in the palm of your hand. I visited India a few years ago, a pilgrimage of the family's old haunts. What a revalelation that was. All the papaya I saw were carried by men, one at a time and they used both arms to cradle them. I have never seen fruits so big.

To stave off dehydration, I learned after the first day, to suck on oranges, a sort of clementine/satsuma type fruit. Trust me, touring in India, you do not want to be drinking bottle water and try and find toilets. A whole other story, one best kept to myself.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm papaya. When I lived in Singapore, I would often have them for breakfast. They were the same size as the ones available in the UK, they would fit in the palm of your hand. I visited India a few years ago, a pilgrimage of the family's old haunts. What a revalelation that was. All the papaya I saw were carried by men, one at a time and they used both arms to cradle them. I have never seen fruits so big.

To stave off dehydration, I learned after the first day, to suck on oranges, a sort of clementine/satsuma type fruit. Trust me, touring in India, you do not want to be drinking bottle water and try and find toilets. A whole other story, one best kept to myself.
Can you trust the fruit?

The papaya we bought yesterday is bigger than the smaller variety you referred to. Like a small marrow and serves 3 or 4 people.